Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Hatch has locked itself

Richard Ince

Country Flag
uk
I have a 2003 series 120 with a rear hatch that will not open. It locked itself a few weeks ago and then 24 hours later would open. However earlier this week it locked again and will not open even with the Key.
Any ideas how to resolve this?

This sounds like a new one on the 120 but we've had a similar issue with the 80 tailgate in the past. I know you will have tried pulling the finger plate, but just see if you can push it back. The 80 handle sometimes doesn't return fully home and this causes it to not reset. Worth just trying to push the handle backwards to see if it's perhaps got a bit stiff.

All I can suggest I'm afraid.

It could be one of the little plastic clips broken inside allowing one of the rods to drop off. Chris's theory sounds more likely though. A bit of lube on the handle pivots might help. Try cycling the lock unlock after pushing the handle back. Is there an internal handle on the 120 you could try?

It could be one of the little plastic clips broken inside allowing one of the rods to drop off. Chris's theory sounds more likely though. A bit of lube on the handle pivots might help. Try cycling the lock unlock after pushing the handle back. Is there an internal handle on the 120 you could try?

Yes there is an internal handle but this does not open it. When the key locks and unlocks I can hear the lock working.

Pop the door card off and i suspect a hinge bolt on the mechanism has fell out . Like as not you will recover the bolt and where it goes will be obvious so just put some thread locker on it and stick it back in .

Is the handle free and in its usual place both on the inside and the outside (as Chris has mentioned)? If you are familiar with the vehicle (not just bought it that is) see if you notice any difference in where the handle should be. I've had this on my 80 when the internal release has been stuck against something.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back