Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear load guard parcel shelf.

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
As you know I have a Black Widow load guard in the truck, which I initially found quite tiresome, as I couldn't get to the back of the truck without going round to the rear doors. This has given way to a complete change of heart as I have now found it to be incredibly useful, both to attach items to in the "cab side" and as a security feature, as one cannot get to the rear of truck through the cab.

Here is a pic of the standard load guard without a shelf.

IMG_1805.jpg

However there has been an issue with storage in the rear,(I like a tidy truck) so I wanted to have a shelf that I could store lightweight kit /chairs/sleeping bags and just have ammo boxes and water tank atop the drawer unit.

Now Black Widow do make a custom shelf, for that very thing, but it required drilling holes in the rear pillars to mount it, and it needed a central divider to support it, thus effectively separating the left and right halves of the rear of the truck. Not very useful to me as it prevented anything over 2.5 feet long being put in the rear across the back.

I searched for an alternative solution, but couldn't find one anywhere that matched the design I wanted, so I decided to design something myself to utilise the existing mounts and one that didn't require a central dividing support.

I have done a welding course, (stick and mig )so although I can weld, I'm not good enough to, nor do I have the facilities to build to a high enough standard, what I wanted. Took the design to a local blacksmith and gave him the measurements and what i wanted...

Here then is the first incarnation of the shelf.
IMG_2043.jpg
IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

As the above pic shows, it is mounted from the existing guard mount.

Pic below shows the rack (with spacers in place) which is through-bolted to the existing load guard.
IMG_2060.jpg

However there was a slight problem. The front rail at 40mm left too little space between the roof and the rail to allow me to fit bulkier items (foldable chairs),
IMG_2044.jpg

So out it came and the grinder had to make an adjustment!
IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

Reduced the front rail to 15mm and ...Voila,
IMG_2064.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg

Test fitted it and works a treat. No need for a central diving support and capable of carrying all we need.
Sending off to the powder coater next week, so will post an update when back and installed.

Also came up with a idea/design for a rear wheel carrier, utility plate.. will show more when completed the concept and idea.

Nice fabrication

i musy be sad, i zoom in to look at the weld joints :(

I have to give credit where credit is due. This is a very nice bit of kit, well designed and well made. Good to know that you adhered to my mum's golden rule, (as regards your skills as a welder).

"Don't put your hat where your hand can't reach."

John

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Re: Rear load guard parcel shelf.. Result

Here is the final result of the rear shelf, now powder coated to match the load guard.
no1
IMG_1036.jpg

no 2
IMG_1034.jpg

no 3
IMG_1033.jpg

Self supporting with no need for central leg support that the OE Black Widow version requires.
IMG_1035.jpg

Looks like a proper job there - really cool :thumbup:

Looks the dogs doodahs :thumbup:

I really, really love this rear load area modification! As a working photographer this would be great for carrying all of my lighting stands etc! I'm green with envy! :sick: :mrgreen:

John

Back