Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear spring spacers

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Since I fitted my OME suspension (uprated springs and dampers) the front and rear have never been level. Despite having a winch bumper, lights, extra batteries etc, the rear has always been lower. The rear springs are not over compressed and even when I couple up my trailer and quad, it doesn't dip. It's simply a case that the rears seem shorter. So, I got some spacers from Oz. They came in days from rockcrawler. Maybe the ones in the pic look a bit smarter, these are still well finished.

IMGP4025.jpg

Picture1.jpg

I thought that the trumpet fitted through the middle of the dough nut - but it doesn't. The spacer fits INSIDE the trumpet. So you could in fact put more than one spacer inside as they self stack very nicely.

IMGP4026.jpg

With some thinking, I managed to drop the axle enough to get them in pretty easily.

IMGP4027-1.jpg

It does appear that the vehicle looks straight again.

Chris

And that's not my biggest hammer, Bob!

Actually, I needed some wooden chocks to jack up each side, so I used the saw to cut some sections off a log in the front garden. No way was the HighLift going to get it up off the ground enough. I undid the damper top mount, the anti roll bar and the top trailing link and then jacked up the chassis. This allowed the axle to drop away enough to lift the spring out and wrestle the spring plus spacer back in. I didn't need the hammer in the end.

Chris

An old thread I know but apparently there have been tears, so here's a few pics to fill in the blanks for all you SWB psychos out there. Have fun.

This is what happened when I lifted the front using strut spacers

Fat Bob Spacers - way too much lift with OME as well
Picture14.jpg

IMGP3438.jpg

IMGP3430.jpg

IMGP3433.jpg

IMGP3436.jpg

IMGP3431.jpg

That looks a mad angle on the CV joint.
Was there any problems with it??

Still would like to lift my truck, but whenever there is spare cash, something pops up!!

You see, I knew there'd be trouble resurrecting an old post Mr P. But would you listen, oooh noo. :snooty:

This was part of a longer conversation on other threads at the time. You CAN'T fit the top spacers with the suspension lift. The picture was there to show what happens if you did. But some one wouldn't leave well enough alone would they? Hmm would they? The top spacers give a non linear lift. IE a 25mm spacer gives, effectively about 2.5" of actual lift. Great without a suspension lift. But not with or you'll snap your CVs.

Sorry about that. Good product if you don't do a spring lift though.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So which ones did you have in there Chris? The Fat Bob ones - sorry if you have said which - getting confused with all the pics...

Would a simple plate do the job or does it need to have the cone on it for some reason?

Cheers

Don't you start!

Fat Bobs in the front. Rockcrawler in the back.
If you don't have the cone how you gonna stop the spacer from falling out or the spring from just slipping off sideways :roll:

C

Furry muff - I can do sommat loike dat :cool: I fancy our Collie being a tad taller :cool:

These spacers for the back could be very easily machined out of acrylic or something. Pretty simple things and not cheap to import. They could be made to any height really to get a precise lift. The front ones are cheap really but you have to strip your strut to fit them as the need longer studs on the top.

Chris

I was thinking of making them in stainless steel with a series of thinner spacers rather than one bit fat flange so that you can dial it in to your hearts desire...

I'd probably fit the cone to a 6/8mm flange & then have some other spacers made up to fit behind it in various thicknesses...

Thoughts??

Total over-engineering at its finest. Why didn't Rockcrawler think of that? I wonder. No, instead they just moulded some simple PU inserts and the World seemed happy enough.

Five mins on a lathe, made out of plastic.

Stainless? Will they bend as easily as the bash plate did.

ooh below the belt..

C

Yes, come on! Or the fridge gets it. :violence-shootself:

C

Back