Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear stub axles?

Cptsideways

Garage
Do the 80's have a seperate rear stub axle? if so is it an easy job to replace, not had a look yet but I think I might have to replace one.

If so anybody got a spare one.....

The rear axle casing is one piece including the stubs on full float (with locker) axles and bolt on on semi float (none locker) axles.

Aha, that explains a lot then.

So a locker axle you can't change them then

I have a whole spare axle if you get really stuck. Pretty much ready to bolt straight into place with only a few bits swapped from the original.

Chris

Hi Dec,

Long time no speak, how are you?

What's happened to your axle? Worn bearing seats? Or has it got bent?

All the best,
Toby
1990 HDJ80
1994 HDJ80

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't understand having to change a whole axle . Surely Toyota build their axles up so why can't we? Maybe talking cross purposes. Probably overtired having to work on 2 LC's.

Frank

on a full float i.e. locking rear axle the 'stub' is part of the main casing not a bolt on part like at the front. On a semi float i.e. none locking rear axle the whole hub assembly is bolted onto a big flange. The full float bearings / hub assembly can be serviced in the back of beyond wheras the semi float needs SST's and a press so not easily serviced at the side of the road. This is for an 80 BTW, 100 series (not 105's) rear axles are semi float and I'd rather have full float but it's not an option.

So have I got this right, the rear axle with the LSD is harder to work on than those with a locker? :(

Toby said:
Hi Dec,

Long time no speak, how are you?

What's happened to your axle? Worn bearing seats? Or has it got bent?

All the best,
Toby
1990 HDJ80
1994 HDJ80

Hey Toby :)

I've aquired yet another cruiser, which is'nt quite straight somewhere so I'm assuming has gotten bent, hence first thought was stub axle.

As for me I'm busy'ish instructing & working for various car manufacturers hooning about on launch days etc. That's when I'm not fixing/tweaking the current fleet of go faster toyota's (which is several as we speak)

Bat21 said:
So have I got this right, the rear axle with the LSD is harder to work on than those with a locker? :(
yes.

Back