Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear suspension dropped

markyks

hi everyone looking for bit of help, i have a 98 colorado lwb 3.0 turbodiesel, i tow a large twin axle caravan with it but mostly use it solo, the rear suspension has dropped over last few months( only noticed wen comparing to others) its consideribly lower than used to be, i had new shocks approx a year ago so pretty sure not them? any suggestions , thanks in advance ,,,

What is nose weight of the caravan? At the very least, you can replace std length springs (if you don't want to lift the suspension) with uprated rate springs from somewhere like Roughtrax - you may need to replace the shocks as well depending on how tired they are (i.e.: if they have never been replaced & you have high mileage). If, however, you are towing something like an American 'van, you may need to consider a weight distribution system.

Cheers,

Euan

not sure of nose weight of caravan weighs bout ton and half in total tho, car drives fine with or without caravan jus reduced ride height, i do ford some rivers and so light off road but loss of groud clearence may mean some of tracks are little bit more tricky, i will replace springs and go from ther cheers for advice mate

It wont be the dampers, they can't affect ride height and no matter what weight your van is the nose weight should be about 75-100lb and no more. Check that the rear springs aren't broken but they're more likely to have sagged over the years, I tow a car trailer and I've noticed the rear of my Colorado is a bit lower than it used t be.

Mark, What is the mileage on your truck? As Tim says, dampers will have no effect on ride height - just, depending on mileage, could be worth changing at same time if they are weeping/rusted out etc. IMHO, one other improvement is to Polybush the suspension rather than replace bushes with std ones (especially if you need to replace std ones due to wear anyway. Made a huge difference to mine. :icon-biggrin:

NB: when I replaced springs & shocks, truck had done about 130k & whilst not knackered, dampers were not at their best compared to new ones... I used uprated stock length springs from Roughtrax & now, when I climb on running board it doesn't sag any more - rides well for mostly road use too!

Tim, you are absolutely right about the nose weight of UK spec caravans. IMHO, most of the time you see someone dragging a huge (usually German & 7m + long) caravan behind their Sharan/Galaxy clone with the tail dragging out is because they haven't a clue how to load safely!:icon-evil:

Reason I queried nose weight is that my American Hy-Line is designed differently & runs with nose weight in the region of 650lbs rather than UK spec caravans (if you look at a side-on photo, the axles are further back along the chassis on an American van, + the chassis is HUGE). This then uses a weight distribution system (torsion bars) to transfer the excess weight forward to the front axle (& also the rear axle of the caravan) so the truck runs level & weight is evenly loaded on all axles (see below)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...em8UK2lMIuQ4gTNqoGgCw&ved=0CEEQ9QEwBQ&dur=109

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...m8UK2lMIuQ4gTNqoGgCw&ved=0CF4Q9QEwDg&dur=8320

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
done a 151,000 miles and rides a bit choppy but better than any discovery still jis bin doin 80 on motorway from york and no probs very stable jis looks low at rear had shocks replaced a yr ago so will go for new springs and take from ther thanx for opinions wasnt sure wi out asking someone wi same truck, cheers

done a 151,000 miles and rides a bit choppy but better than any discovery still jis bin doin 80 on motorway from york and no probs very stable jis looks low at rear had shocks replaced a yr ago so will go for new springs and take from ther thanx for opinions wasnt sure wi out asking someone wi same truck, cheers
Is that 80mph while towing you naughty boy :eusa-shhh: What sort of fuel consumption do you get? I did mention the nose eight but in real life you need to balance it so you get a nice stable ride, moving my race car back or forward on the trailer a few inches can make a considerable difference to stability.

no 80 was solo get bout 25 to gallon at 80 but touchin 30 if steadier pace.. mot due in 4 week and guna have diff oils changed and auto box and few other bits so guna get springs mite as well get it all done same time

hi all, had new brake pipes on my 98 landcrusier and cant get brake pedal back still air in despite repeated bleeding and even wedging pedal down overnite any help? or wer can get new compensater from??

brakes

hi all, had new brake pipes on my 98 landcrusier and cant get brake pedal back still air in despite repeated bleeding and even wedging pedal down overnite any help? or wer can get new compensater from??

Have you bled the brakes at the Load-Sensing Valve as well as at the calipers (there's a small bleed nipple on the back of the unit).

Just a thought - before we get into all the long brake bleeding routines that we have all tried over the years :thumbup: .

Bob.

Last edited:
Probably unnecessary, but for those that don't know . . . .

Here is the Load-Sensing Valve (LSV) assembly with the bleed nipple highlighted.

DSCN5607A.jpg

And here it is in situ, you can see that the bleed nipple is hidden around the back :icon-rolleyes:.

DSCN5632.jpg

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Back