Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

REAR UNDERSLUNG SPARE WHEEL

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hello all,

has any one retro fitted an 'under-slung' spare wheel to the 120 series.

I looked under mine a few times, and there seems to be a fuel return 'cooler' pounted in the way.
So if I try to get a spare in the location, it might hit the diesel cooler what go's back into the tank.

What shall I do ?

Graham

Sounds like you and Gary should be swapping ideas :idea: He's trying to do the opposite of you :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oops, I see you have managed to touch base with him already :oops:

The cooler is above where the spare goes - no issues there ...

Tricky enough to do I'd say Graham. The 'winch' mechanism that winds it up and down would have to be fitted and from memory, in mine, this is welded to the chassis etc etc. Not impossible I suspect but likely more trouble than it's worth. Not sure about fuel lines and stuff and, again from memory, the wheel well area undermeath in mine is pretty much clear.

Hello,
I may just be tempted to use some 8mm screwed rod, and through the floor for 2 upper bars, which will stop the spare wheel from going too high, and hitting the diesel return cooler.
then, use 2 similar lower bars, to hold the weight of the spare, and use some more 8mm screw rod, to effectively clamp the spare between the lower 2 bars, and the upper 2 bars.

OK, will be a struggle to get it up in the first place, but, this wheel would be 'second in line ' for the spare.

ideas ?

Graham

Well I guess it depends on what you are going to do with the vehicle. Would it not be easier to stick the spare on a roof rack?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The roof will be taken up with the Iron Man Roof tent.

On sale at west Coast 4x4, which includes the annex to cover the rear door.
http://www.ironmansuspension.com/html/rooftop_tent.html
I think Paul said they were about 850.00
The pull out sun shade, was about 180.00 if I remember.
So to me, it looks a good price.

Graham

I'd be interested in seeing your tent & awning when you get them Graham...

Back