Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rebuilding steering box

IRLGW

I have downloaded and read the FSM on the steering box :think:

There is a lot of ATF leaking out and I top it up every time it goes out! Its pretty hard to see exactly where the leak is even when its clean. Has anyone on the forum replaced their seals or serviced the box and have any tips or advice for doing this- Or am I going to be the first???

I have the same problem. Looking into getting it repaired and serviced.

http://jaygee.co.uk/about-us.html

Just spoken to a chap called bob who can rebuild the unit to the same spec as toyota for £105 plus VAT in 48 Service. Does not sound too bad. I know just to buy the repair kit from toyota costs more than that.

Will talk to him again next week once I have the unit off over the weekend.

Sounds like a reputable company with long trading experience.

Will look around for a closer one to London to save on postage

Indigo Spirit said:

Just spoken to a chap called bob who can rebuild the unit to the same spec as toyota for £105 plus VAT in 48 Service. Does not sound too bad. I know just to buy the repair kit from toyota costs more than that.

Any update on this? Did you get this work done in the end?

Can I offer a potential quick fix to this?
7 years ago my steering box started leaking ( a lot ), I added approx 50mls of brake fluid and then a couple of days later I added about the same and then it stopped leaking and has never leaked since...

Sometimes the reason these leak is the O rings get hard and shrink creating the leak, when you add the brake fluid the rubber softens and swells and you have a seal back.... Saved me quite a few bucks to spend elsewhere on the 80 so hopefully it will do the same for you.... Good luck.. If you dare try it...

fridayman said:
Indigo Spirit said:

Any update on this? Did you get this work done in the end?

Also interested in this. Cheers.

Kiwipete said:
Can I offer a potential quick fix to this?
7 years ago my steering box started leaking ( a lot ), I added approx 50mls of brake fluid and then a couple of days later I added about the same and then it stopped leaking and has never leaked since...

Sometimes the reason these leak is the O rings get hard and shrink creating the leak, when you add the brake fluid the rubber softens and swells and you have a seal back.... Saved me quite a few bucks to spend elsewhere on the 80 so hopefully it will do the same for you.... Good luck.. If you dare try it...

I read about this tip in a magazine a few months ago. :)

Definitly one im going to have to try if/when mine starts leaking. :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got a quote from somewhere for £200+vat to refurbish a box with 12 months warranty. That's inclusive of collection and return.

Back