Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

recap: Mods I wouldn`t do again for overlanding

Surfy

mods-you-wouldnt-do-again-offroad-overlanding-vanlife.jpg

After over 68350 miles of international overlanding (110`000km) with the rig showed above, done in the past 9 years it is definitively time for an analytic view. Which mod wouldnt we do again, which mod would we install on a newly buildup? From a Transafrica to journeys in Europe, Iceland, South America I had a lot of different terrain to use those mods listened below.

My list of mods isn`t short:
- Snorkel ( +Higher various types of venting )
- Front bar
- winch
- Ground anchor
- Underride protection
- Differential locks
- Maxtrax sand plate / recovery
- Larger tires (33")
- Mudterrain tire tread (MT)
- only 1x spare tire with rim
- Spare tire carrier at the rear
- Air heater (air vs water heater I explain below)
- Additional fuel tank 180Liter
- Heat exchanger to the engine (hot shower)

Which mod was helpful? Which one was waste of money? Which one was really bad? And why?

I did wrote an Article about: Mods I wouldn`t do again for overlanding or vanlife - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Here is the map of the journey till today:

J20-landcruiser-v8-diesel-d4d-trippin-worldmap-small.jpg

Surfy

An idle observation but can i point out that the kit you suggest you could have done without is actually what gave you options other than to detour .

Nice truck! Great idea for a separate thread for everyone to contribute to

An idle observation but can i point out that the kit you suggest you could have done without is actually what gave you options other than to detour .

Yes our updated more lightweight recovery gear setup is still capable. But a detour is at least on a worldtrip with all the added weight (food for 10 days, water, fridge, clothes, gear) - is sometimes the better option!

Some repairs during our international overlanding trips was the direct result of doing harder "weekender offroad stuff" with all the weight that an long term trip can add.

Surfy

Last edited:
AVvXsEhAE6a8e0-lvf4RF0P3WRJHnHlw99_ymOlhK5LEW3t_02RdbB8dDjP5ecyjCf5L-SrbWo7LzbgMOTqXErkJf-zRpOgUJJfcQtqyNccuRnejgZWikbvgKXceMJZu5-O7fkLDsfG1wjehncWcLxYx3M5XpUdABiCuVtXw97tBG0CIQL_wx9McovgmMVIE0Q=s1024

I`am currently selling this above rig, because our family is growing - and with more than 2 People this travel-setup above dont fits anymore.

What is the outcome of above writeup in the first post? I will have to try to keep my next travel vehicle more lightweight, for beeing able to carry more people. In europe we will have to keep the vehicle below 3.5 tons, so that all people with the basic driving licence are able to drive with it. It is easy to optain the bigger licence, but the anual health checks are nothing who a lot of people are willing to do, too my fiancee.

I will try to find alternative ways to be capable for offroad purpose. No heavy winch, no steel bumper.

That is my new plan:
Self-recovery in the field - what helps?

Not so easy to mount, if I stick in the mud unexpected like above. But it will let me recovery from that situation too, with that kind of recovery gear, also when it is not so comfortable like a winch.

I haven't found my final future travel vehicle yet, but nice options! Not same capable, but still capable enough even for a panamericana or silkroad

AVvXsEi8ca3JGj-j_yQeGVbjM1O17V_hjaQRUvYZefIfg3ahRLdS9Zxbhl9m7SipLXDBnR50tWvbvDcVIYnGWVrV3FXUjxS_yJXEkHd3axa9nagvWzg52l3UOqVDPMmSHQmM2MvL40Wriw9A0IYd9jBWD6R0tybvTn2HwM9qbJLUxK1V2dkzzQl3VhDWgUYE=s1280

Do you see a Landcruiser based "option" without a trailer (what I like to avoid)? Two RTTs are also a lot over the vehicle legal specs for offroad usage, at least if we mention the trustworth manufacturer ratings from frontrunner.

Probably a V6 Engine Landcruiser has less enough basis weight, to be able to travel longterm with 3-4 People.

trippin

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You could fit an aluminium whinch bumper and go for a demountable winch with plasma type rope would save a few kilos are you using steel or aluminium underbody protection wet batteries agm or lithium an ecoflow type power bank would save a massive amount of weight but then do you go for a fixed solar panels or portable system there will be trade offs for every solution whether you go for for your truck van or for a world touring truck or although you said you did not want a trailer with a trailer you can set up your camp and then go explore or go to the not so local shop supermarket or fuel station without packing up everything

We've used a MWB low roof 4x4 Sprinter as an off grid camper for two adults and two kids - worked fine for several years, but the kids are getting too big now (they're both scratching 5 feet tall now) - converted, with roof rack, solar, usual camper conversion stuff, etc, etc, we run under 3 tons. Its more a bad roader than a full on off-roader, but it gets most places.

We're currently travelling with our 7 and 9 year olds in our 105 series. Sleeping in an iKamper roof tent. Its a tight squeeze but we all fit.

www.thehilltopadventures.com

Before you rush into the decision to sell the Land Cruiser, just have a think about it, because it is definitely possible to travel with kids in a solid 4x4. Obviously it won't be as roomy or comfy as you're used to!

Just a thought.

Congratulations on the little one(s) btw.

N

I like the alliterative 'Camden Town to Cape Town' expedition on your website, Nick. I've been trying to push a similar idea - Sheffield (UK) to Sheffield (Tasmania) - but so far it's not taken off ...

No shortage of funds here me thinks so why not look at having a custom roof tent made ,one that folds out left and right to be near 3 times as wide as the roof .

Just leave a thought here....Iveco Daily all road.... convert one of these and the world is your oyster

Just in case my point was missed with this I've said in the past why does nobody make a fold out sideways conversion ,could be a bed on one side a sofa on the other and a tent on top - tardis .

Last edited:
Back