Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recovery no 2 in four days!!!!!

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
Well everyone, after the weekend joy of dragging veggie mux four ish hours home and within five mins getting him running again with a clear head and daylight Recovery no two took place today.
I went to the building suppliers for a few bits that i needed for a job im doing at dave b bosses garrage (dave is the lad who dragged trailer to me at wales and is fast becoming my full time recovery guy :lol: )
Anyway i set off back to work and noticed that something felt funny on V mux. Thought tyre pressures were low on front end or somthing just needed looking at. I thought i may as well get to the garage and lift it on the fork truck and give it a once over.
Anyway, i drove another mile out of the two i had left to cover went round a left hand bend slowly as its sharp then goes up hill. Got round the bend then a big crash bang wallop and im driving up the hill with veggie muxes arse on the floor and the driver rear wheel going uphill toward the cars waiting at the lights on the other side of the road.
Lucky for me the wheel didnt hit the cars but stopped and started rolling downhill at speed where there is a crossroads with lights and people walking.
I pulled veggie mux onto the pavement leaving a dragline up the road and gave chase on foot for the rooling at speed wheel. Got quite close to it and fell over. as i feel i dived for the wheel. (Think all the rugby playing came in there)
Dont know how i managed to stop it so but i did. They get some speed up when rolling like that.
Rang dave and his boss and they came to the rescue again. Spent half hour getting him on trailer with no rear wheel.
I run cheep spacers on him and the origonal Hub studs had all snapped. Maybe when my man did the breacks he tightend them to much???
Anyway swaped the parts as had them on the shelf and away we go again. Hes abit dinted as the fall caught the rear arch and bottom of quarter.
Im hurting due to the superman dive.
But knowbody was hurt and no insurence claims so all good.
karl

Holy Cr@p!!!

Can't say much more than that. Close call fella.

Chris

Wow impressive! at least no one else got involved in the mini disaster as it really would be an arse pulling your rear wheel out of someones car

I know the feeling Karl, you have all my sympathy, thank Christ nobody got in the way of that wheel :pray: , wheel spacers are a no go as far as I'm concerned :thumbdown: . In my case the studs stayed attached, the whole hub came off :o

I can remember you saying chas. The hub will come off due to the bearing tho. All my studs snapped off. I have put my expensive spacers on now and the cheap ones can go on something for off road
karl

Cheap wheel spacers (the cast variety that slip over the studs) are extremely dangerous things indeed.

Always use the machined bolt on type if you do

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The cheap ones i had on, the extended stud bots to the origonal stud. The expensive one the spacer bolts to the hub then i bolt to the spacer. I know they eat bearings but didnt think my studs would all snap off. Surely they shouldnt be legal
karl

ive used the cheap spacers for a number of years on suzuki 4x4's and never had a problem, ive also never heard of any one else having a problem.

but when it came to building my cruiser i did some searching and found a lot of stories like this on different forums regarding spacers failing on cruisers and hi-lux's, and wheels coming off! :shock:

so i decided i didnt want any on my cruiser. in the end i bought 5 x 15" 10J black modulars with -38mm off set, which according to the tyre dealer are the maximum off set you can get for 10J wheels.

i think wheels with the correct off set are always going to be better than spacers. :thumbup:

im sure there also better for wheel bearings, but i may be wrong.

ben said:
i think wheels with the correct off set are always going to be better than spacers. :thumbup: im sure there also better for wheel bearings, but i may be wrong.
If the point of fitting spacers is to widen the track which would/has put more strain on the bearings, would a different off set not do the same :think:

Scary stuff, Karl! Glad it ended up ok with no injuries or major drama.
Glad you live far from me, unlike Chas..... :o
:lol:

Another lucky escape this one could of been alot worse but atleast it worked out ok i,t was quite interesting loading a 3 wheeled cruiser on to the trailer.it made my mind up not to fit any spacers now

Wow, that is an eventful day to say the least, seeing as no one else has said it............I bet you are wheely tyred after that...bdum tish :lol:

Cossack said:
ben said:
i think wheels with the correct off set are always going to be better than spacers. :thumbup: im sure there also better for wheel bearings, but i may be wrong.
If the point of fitting spacers is to widen the track which would/has put more strain on the bearings, would a different off set not do the same :think:

well my understanding is the further from the hub that the wheel bolts on, then the more leverage it puts on the wheel bearing? but i may be wrong! :?

:shock: Glad it ended ok. Must have been "interesting" to intercept a run away tyre from an 80. :shock:

ben said:
Cossack said:
ben said:
well my understanding is the further from the hub that the wheel bolts on, then the more leverage it puts on the wheel bearing? but i may be wrong! :?
Surely though if the tread on the ground is further out from the bearings more leverage is created having the same effect?

Hell dude :shock: Am glad you & the rest of Derbyshire are all ok...

Wow! Imagine if you didn't have fuelling issues over the weekend and if went halfway along Happy Valley!

Now that would have been an effort to recover veggieMUX from - Chinook anyone?? :lol:

:shock: Wow, glad the damage was minimal and no serious injuries... Lucky indeed!

Rob, that was what I said to save earlier. If I had got mux running on sun and come with u guys then wheel could have come off on motorway or something. Now that isn't worth thinking about.
Chas, I agree with you regarding the wheel offset. In my opinion it would give the same issues as spacers.
Anyway I'm keepin my better quality spacers on untill further probs.
Karl

Back