Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Red coolant ok?

Fett

Hi all, the 80 series turned up today finally, only got a five min look in the dark but will put up some pics asap. Looks a little crispy underneath but I'm handy with a welder so not too worried.

It's going in for an mot tomorrow, the garage I use will change the coolant to five year red for less than I can buy enough 5 year red to do it myself.

If it passes the mot I want get them to do it while they have the car- is it ok to run 5 year red in these or do they not like it?

I run the Halfords advanced red 5 year coolant and it's fine. It will be 5 years from the last fill this summer but the coolant still looks red and tests OK with a coolant hydrometer but I may still change it anyway.

I generally stick to Toyota's Red coolant as I believe it's specifically formulated for these engines, but that's just me being picky. Any decent coolant will do the Job!

I've never changed mine in 11 years and it still reads fine on a tester. Got it on my list to do and will probably get the Toyota stuff after reading this thread.

There's nothing really special about these engines or indeed the red Toyota coolant. The engines are now old tech and the red coolant is just another silicate free type. Silicate based coolants don't have as long a service life, as the silicates can settle out apparently, causing loss of protection and possible blockage problems if they're not changed regularly. JMO

Last edited:
Hmm. Hope the stuff that came in mine from Japan was silicate free then. [emoji53]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
plenty of chat around red vs green coolant blah blah.
Flushed and put Toyo concentrate red in mine when bought it but that was only because it was surprisingly reasonable from my local stealership.
Think it is good idea to try and stick to one type and not mix different types.

Dave.

I was told by a supplier who sells red and blue that red can NOT be used in the older copper radiator core. it has some sort of reaction to the copper.

Pg 239 of the owners manual says to use ethylene-glycol anti-freeze and Toyota Long-Life coolant is recommended (and that's the red stuff if memory serves ...)

I use a decent quality antifreeze, and (for good reason) it is.........................GREEN! WOW, SHOCK HORROR, REACH FOR THE BIRCH AND WO BETIDE ME!

Seriously though, I have heard so much crap over the years about antifreeze it makes my ears bleed. I change it every 4/5 years depending on vehicle age and condition of coolant. Just make sure you give the system a good flush and all will be well, I would point out that a hydrometer will not confirm that the corrosion inhibitors are still active.

regards

Dave

i got red in my land cruiser 80
and green in my hilux 3l td

never had a problem with either!

thanks guys, red it is then and i do have it in my landy with a copper rad :O

Back