Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Red flashing LED

fridayman

Garage
I have a constant red flashing led just below my hazard button on my 1999 GX - anyone know what it is there for? And how to make it go stop flashing when the car is on?

I don't know much about the 90 but it sounds like something connected to the alarm/immobilizer. If it stays on when the car starts and runs ok, I wonder whether it might just be a dummy light put in there to try and put off a would-be thief by fooling him into believing there is an alarm system, when perhaps there is not :shifty:

Just a shot in the dark though :whistle:

Well on my 98 GX I only have a blanking plate below the hazard switch, so no LED's. Does it look factory fitment or aftermarket?

It looks factory... :think:

SDC10051.jpg

Attachments

• SDC10051.jpg
    SDC10051.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 98
i have that too on dash. but it only flashes when car locked - an indication that alarm is activated.

Mine flashes all the time. Not a problem during the day but a bit distracting at night. I'll ask them to take a look when it goes in to have the phone kit and radio installed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No fair... you have a extra one too, at the bottom, which says "Rear Heat" :( Is that for the rear demister?

TonyP said:
No fair... you have a extra one too, at the bottom, which says "Rear Heat" :( Is that for the rear demister?

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it activates the rear heater controls on the back of the centre cubby. I will have a look right after I figure out the pwr and 2nd start buttons :geek:

I just rang Toyota about the flashing LED - it is the immobiliser led, and it should go off when the vehicle is switched on. They said that they can take a look. To take a look will cost £95!

Tony, it 's the rear fan blower for the long wheelbase. The SWB doesn't have that. The pipe corrode anyway so you're better off without it. I think that Lil Blue has that LED but it's in the knee panel switch position isn't it, you can see the blanks in the pic - and yes it's to do with the alarm.

By the way, your clock's wrong. It's 20 past 10. :think:

Chris

Ah fair enough Chris. Anyway, Lil' Blue has loads more other buttons :dance:

hello fridayman ,why not stick something over the led? the second start button alows you to pull off in second when the shift lever is in second - normally with second selected the car will pull away in first and only change up as far as 2nd. the PWR button makes the gearbox change up at higher reves - can be usefull for the traffic light gran prix.

goodoldboy said:
hello fridayman ,why not stick something over the led? the second start button alows you to pull off in second when the shift lever is in second - normally with second selected the car will pull away in first and only change up as far as 2nd. the PWR button makes the gearbox change up at higher reves - can be usefull for the traffic light gran prix.

Ah! Cheers.

goodoldboy said:
.....the second start button alows you to pull off in second when the shift lever is in second - normally with second selected the car will pull away in first and only change up as far as 2nd....

I may be wrong but I always thought that the "2nd start" button worked regardless of the position of the selector i.e. you don't have to select 2nd, it will still work in "D" and pull away in 2nd gear?

Basically it's meant for use on slippery surfaces where too much torque may make the wheels spin.

It cuts out first wherever the lever is positioned - except, neutral, park, reverse and of course 1st! IIRC it also works in low range. If you put it in 2nd then press the button, the only gear you get is second.

C

I never use the PWR button, but the 2nd start is very handy off road in low range, giving you full control of first and second gear.

If you drive in low without using this button the jump from 1st to 2nd is very nasty to the transmission IMO and once you get the hang of using it you will never let it change automatically between these gears.

Back