Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Redex fuel additive

helen07

I just browsing the archives and came across a thread discussing the benefits , real or imagined , of adding Redex to fuel . That post is now closed but i thought i'd add my tuppence worth with a new thread .

My nephew passed his test and as money dictates bought himself an 18 year old diesel ford fiesta . As you can imagine it puffed weezed and crawled up anything resembling a hill . He turned up at my house with a small bottle of Redex (i'd never heard of it) saying he had been told to remove the air filter and slowly pour the Redex in while the engine ran on tickover occasionally giving it a bit of throttle . He didn't know what an air filter was .

I was astonished by the result . In that one treatment the performance improved to what i would expect from a petrol version of the same car .

I have every intention of doing this to my 90 when i get around to it and thought others might find this interesting .

I thought Redex was very similar to Kerosene?

As petrol and diesel are essentially the same thing , just refined oil , petrol simply burns hotter than diesel , i imagine Redex is an oil refined slightly more than diesel and slightly less than petrol . We used to pour a cap of petrol into the airfilter of a very old JCB digger (which is of course diesel) to get it started on cold mornings when i was a kid .

Compare it to taking an aspirin to thin the blood a little it just free's everything up a little . I could be wrong but thats my guess anyway .

Back