Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removing rear number plate light surround

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi I’m fitting a reverse camera and want to remove the light housing about the registration plate (no spare wheel on boot)

is it a case of gently prising it off and is there a point to start on - does anyone have an idiots guide for this idiot, so I don’t break any brittle clips

thanks

Basically yes, you remove these lights from the outside. Essentially the clips are on the left and right hand side, so push to either side and the slowly pull downward from the other side. So if pushing it left pry it downwards from the right side....

Just to add, I replaced mine with led versions which are so much better. This is what they look like from behind

Screenshot_20210103-115848.jpg

Basically yes, you remove these lights from the outside. Essentially the clips are on the left and right hand side, so push to either side and the slowly pull downward from the other side. So if pushing it left pry it downwards from the right side....

Just to add, I replaced mine with led versions which are so much better. This is what they look like from behind

View attachment 169711
I fitted some number plate leds just like those about 4 years ago and they are very bright , I remember when removing the originals them being stiff and not wanting to let go and them letting go suddenly with a good push and pull down . the led ones did not fit so tight on my car so I superglued with gorilla flexi superglue the rubber gasket for them to stay in place on bumpy roads and boot door slamming that my wife does when she shuts the boot door .

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my reverse camera I bought from ebay for £36 I think.
After feeding the camera cable through the car I removed the rear door cover and feed the cable to the camera cable.
I have fitted my own number plate led lights but before I fitted them I fed two tie raps through the number plate holder to hold my camara in place. The camara has a 6 pin connector to plug into the lead from the front monitor.
The only thing I had to do as in DIY was the hole for the number plate screw was make it bigger to accommodate the wider plug.
Since my number plate is stuck on with 3m tape it works perfectly.
The camara system itself is superb and just needs to be connected to to reverse light.
This camara system night vision is superb also and if your camara glass lense is kept clean the picture is superb. The picture a monitor clip and will take a picture of my rear camara location in a bit to show how it fits perfect.
Screenshot_20210103_140351_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
IMG_20210103_150353.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103_144349_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103_144349_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back