Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement battery

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
It seems the passenger side battery on my 80 has a cell down.

It's NuMax Premium Silver which I fitted just over 3 years ago. Is this the normal life span for that battery?

What is that battery's primary role, is it solely for cranking?

Anyone got any recommendations for a replacement, was thinking of maybe an Optima Red or Yellow top :think:

Surprising that a well known brand like the NuMax has failed in that timespan Paul; I'm sure the NuMax leisure battery I have had a 5-year warranty on it... I'd make a 'phone call first...

Out of experience We fitted Newmax Premium Silver to some of our small fleet of trucks and Varta to others to compare side by side. By the time 2 1/2 years was up we had replaced all the Newmax ones and none of the Varta's. Our battery supplier does not sell Newmax now. In the real world where batteries have to start large engines at 5.00 am after a freezing night it really tests the batteries and they might have to start 20 times that day. There may be better batteries than Varta but for us they work.
I have Optima red tops on my Chevy Tahoe, They had been stood since the end of March since I only use it in winter. It goes for MOT on Sat and it started up no prob after 6 months. Mind you they did go a bit flat after moving it about a few times. These are at least 6 years old and regularly have months if inactivity so I suppose you pays your money....

Andy

Thanks for the replies and feed back Andy :thumbup:

Just been to my supplier and managed to get a 40% discount on a new Varta.

He too said they are better batteries than the NuMax :thumbup:

Last edited:
My 3 year old numax batteries have started leaking. Would not recommend them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Can't fault or recommend Varta highly enough. I still have the 2 Varta's on the LC when I bought it over 8 years ago and they're still fine. They've even survived being drained down to below 7 volts due to a current drain fault. Will definately be replacing like with like when they do finally expire.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jeesh, not good news about the NuMax's then...

I must say that Muxley's Yuasas have been fine though & picked up charge from totally drained over a long period :)

Forgot to mention, had to do a warranty claim on the Numax in my Volvo after 1 year. Did not start after 1 week.

Back