Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement Cummins Engine

Been a 'horsepower hunter' most of my motoring life, whether it was a 105E Anglia with so much skimmed off the head I had to put extra washers on the spark plugs to stop the pistons hitting them and pockets so deep in the pistons for the valves you could lose a small child in them

Your quote Dave reminds me of our first attempts at tuning a '55 100E, sidevalve :laughing-rolling:

Can you imagine? Technology didn't come much simpler than it did in those days :lol:

image.jpeg

Pic nicked from Google BTW

All together now......................those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...la la la la la :icon-biggrin:

Nice one Clive, I did wrench for a guy in Anglia rods many years ago, his name was Jeff Grenade and what we did to get around 'da rules' really did stretch the imagination. Some of the pre cross flows were putting out well over 150 BHP from 1,200 cc with three bearing cranks @7,000 RPM!! But referring back to the subject of this thread, the engines simply did not last long, high horsepower low capacity screamers if you got a season without a breakage you did well.

regards

Dave

All together now......................those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...la la la la la :icon-biggrin:

Nice one Clive, I did wrench for a guy in Anglia rods many years ago, his name was Jeff Grenade and what we did to get around 'da rules' really did stretch the imagination. Some of the pre cross flows were putting out well over 150 BHP from 1,200 cc with three bearing cranks @7,000 RPM!! But referring back to the subject of this thread, the engines simply did not last long, high horsepower low capacity screamers if you got a season without a breakage you did well.

regards

Dave

Spot on with the reminiscing, a couple of mates of mine used to circuit race mini 850s, and we had a 1071cc five bearing crank Stage II head & cam rally mini, with a pair of DCOEs, that ran sweet.

I miss those days TBH, we had a lot of fun. Still, all grown up now, different toys. :lol:

The swap appeals to me in the same sort of way i like the idea of owning a Dodge Charger but when reality bites its a heavier and thirstier engine which out of the crate gives only about 30 bhp more .

Yeah, good point shayne. It might be worth just spending the time and effort to improve the 4.2 pump. A IC, boost increase, pump tweak, and good exhaust system on these engines open them up a lot!

Yeah, good point shayne. It might be worth just spending the time and effort to improve the 4.2 pump. A IC, boost increase, pump tweak, and good exhaust system on these engines open them up a lot!

Hiya, as above, I have an inter cooler, 3" stainless straight through exhaust (Hayward and Scott, Basildon), Tweeked/ rebuilt pump, EXhaust gas Temp gauge, snorkel, inlet baffles removed, goes and pulls well, tows outstanding, tows our Froader on an Ifor Williams ( 3 tons) through the Alps, no problem with our Landie I had to decant and someone drive the Froader, I can't complain, in fact I'm quite happy, but.... When I follow my pals Dodge Ram, ( Cummins 6bt with powershot propane) on 44" wheels towing a similar setup, in the hills I can't stay with him, and his carries a motor home "pod" I don't want the Dodge, but the thought of that effortless power, well, I would like it, but really can't justify it. It'll stay a pipe dream I suppose.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back