Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing 1KZ-TE turbo

Maintaining pressure makes sense and oil in the cylinders isn't likely to be a problem in the early years :think: older engines with worn rings or glazed cylinders might suffer perhaps , interesting discovery non the less to brighten a miserable rainy day , i'm not about to rush out and buy a catch can but i do think they are a good idea .

I reckon the turbo on mine while not about to fail is past its best the boost controller told me the wastegate and/or the actuator are crap and if i do find i'm losing coolant its down there somewhere . I found a new turbo for about £190 and though i will have to contact them to see if it includes gaskets and whatnot to fit but its a competitive price compared to overhaul kits .

Well done Trevor :clap:

Maintaining pressure makes sense and oil in the cylinders isn't likely to be a problem in the early years :think: older engines with worn rings or glazed cylinders might suffer perhaps , interesting discovery non the less to brighten a miserable rainy day , i'm not about to rush out and buy a catch can but i do think they are a good idea .

I reckon the turbo on mine while not about to fail is past its best the boost controller told me the wastegate and/or the actuator are crap and if i do find i'm losing coolant its down there somewhere . I found a new turbo for about £190 and though i will have to contact them to see if it includes gaskets and whatnot to fit but its a competitive price compared to overhaul kits .

Well done Trevor :clap:

Since you and me seem to think along the same lines, have you thought about sticking a bigger/better turbo on it? It would mean a bit of fabrication and research but if you're gonna throw some money that way into another turbo maybe it'll be worth looking at other replacement options. A long time ago, I found a bolt on bigger turbo on Australian ebay. Options! :lol:

:lol: we do Beau and i almost answered that before you asked :lol: i don't think its worth it to be honest i spent an hour driving Helen's KDJ this morning and its a nippy little motor without a doubt but a pussycat compared to my roaring beast add a few more horses and i would have to remove the lift and start looking for low profile tyres .

Last edited:
:lol: we do Beau and i almost answered that before you asked :lol: i don't think its worth it to be honest i spent an hour driving Helen's KDJ this morning and its a nippy little motor without a doubt but a pussycat compared to my roaring beast add a few more horses and i would have to remove the lift and start looking for low profile tyres .

I kinda came to that same conclusion with mine. I like the fact that these trucks have good torque and low end power and can get you reasonable mpg. I've been looking into water injection recently which is pretty popular over here in the states. Apparently the 1KZT-E is a good engine for it, and the water cools down intake temps as good if not better than a IC.

It's funny because here in the states people think 30 mpg is amazing and really good economy.

Fair play to you for sticking with the better vehicle i think i would be seduced by the idea of a 6 litre powerplant if i lived out there .

Fair play to you for sticking with the better vehicle i think i would be seduced by the idea of a 6 litre powerplant if i lived out there .

The 6.7 ford diesel powerstroke is a great engine and the F250/F350/Expedition would be the one 4x4 I'd consider owning here, but when I compared it to the cruiser it just didn't win... Fuel may be cheaper here than UK by nearly 50% but when you drive around getting 10-12mpg it ends up being more costly than your average truck in the UK. Build quality is poor as well, other than there two latest generations which have been an improvement. Overall, America is behind the UK in a lot of things, and this terribly surprised me. It's only now, people are catching on to small eco cars, economical diesel engines, small vans ect.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah i had the hummer remember it was an incredible machine the stuff of dreams , but it had a couple of very minor issues i took the dash apart and removed the sunroof and front bumper and that was enough to convince me the damn thing had been put together by fisherprice toy makers , honestly exterior parts which pop on or off no tools required and 8 inch long fully threaded screws - about 10 of them to hold the dash in place :wtf:

If you get the chance to drive one though grab it with both hands because i'm pretty sure i will never again drive anything quite so astonishing :icon-cool:

Last edited:
Back