Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing Tail Gate Gas Struts

What a coincidence, I replaced mine with a pair off ebay last month. They were identical to the originals and only took about five days to turn up from China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171631866698?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Fitted these struts this afternoon, sorry, forgot to take pics, :oops: bought on 21st arrived this morning.
Propped tailgate up to full extent with a piece of wood, and swapped them, tailgate now goes a bit higher that standard ones did :dance: and doesn't need a push to get it right up (No rude comments please) :angry-nono:
I tried compressing them before fitting and I couldn't even move them a fraction but then I am a weak old git. :character-oldtimer:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171530240802?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I've also ordered two for the bonnet which is also a bit lazy going up, bought on 22nd from same seller and waiting for them to arrive.

Last edited:
I need some bonnet ones did not see them on their page though
Found the bonnet ones and ordered a pair

Last edited:
old thread but if anybody else was wondering if these Chinese knock-offs could hold up a roof ladder:
ladder.jpg

13KG ladder no problem. Remains to be seen how long they hold their pressure but for £20...

Result. Thought they would. Mine seem fine after a year. Your will probably be better balanced with the extra weight.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Spoken to Mike at GSE. Ordered a pair. Luckily I have a spare set of brackets so I can just post those in a jiffy bag

Nice one Lazz

Has anyone recently replaced the bonnet gas struts and are there any good alternatives, like the rear ones from GSE? :)

Yes. I have had two sets. I got them on e-bay. About £22 per pair. The bonnet whooshes up. I'll see if I can find a linky. Very very good service from them

Yes. I have had two sets. I got them on e-bay. About £22 per pair. The bonnet whooshes up. I'll see if I can find a linky. Very very good service from them
Thank you, Chris, that would be great. I put some insulation on the inner side that obviously appears a bit thicker and heavier than the stock one and now the gas struts are under pressure. :lol:

Had a set of bonnet and tailgate struts off them for the 100 and bonnet struts for the ML, arrived quickly, seem to be doing their job well.

Thank you, lads. I opened the link from Chris but maybe i am not scrolling down to the correct set for the 80 series bonnet, as the price looks a bit strange?.. :ugeek: or i should make them an offer? How does it work? :) Thanks!

Struts.jpg

EH? I think something odd has happened there. Sometime this is when they don't have any stock.

Maybe that's including postage. :laughing-rolling:

I checked today and original struts for the bonnet are ~115 EUR set of 2. So ~ 22 GBP is very good price, if these are quality ones.

Back