Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Reproduction front wings are on the way.

I have found repair panels tend to be made of thinner steel, and they may well 'do the job', Derek. But for some people (no longer me) who are for want of a better word 'purists' tend to only look for OE replacement parts, I was doing the same thing until I ended up in hospital and throwing money at OE equipment was no longer a sensible option.

If the product is half the price then I would certainly go for it (depending on the part of course), but I am wondering how many people who want all OE equipment and have purchased a nice 80 as an investment, there is so much rubbish out there now it is not funny.

Regards

Dave

Yes and no. I’ve found many replica panels and repair sections to be made from thicker than original metal. I imagine it’s harder to manufacture very thin metal due to tight tolerances etc.

Let’s face it, I think they will struggle to go thinner than 1990’s Japanese steel…

The earlier models had a lot thicker steel on the wings and they were attached with bigger bolts too!

I've noticed too. I think the build quality on the early 80 series was better. Majority of rotters I've viewed have been 24v s.

Indeed, the heavier rear lower trailing arms on a 12v are supreme compared to the "lighter 24v" ones.. although the 24v 1hdft is truly extra supreme!

The extra ecu's and emission wiring on the post 95 is not such a highlight also.. my early 12v being a bit older has needed a patch up job for the last 2 mots but hoping to have a gap year in 12 months time. Lol

The earlier models had a lot thicker steel on the wings and they were attached with bigger bolts too!

I did not know that, having said that I don't do bodywork, my focus being mainly mechanical and electrical.

Regards

Dave

How early are we speaking? I’ve worked with both 12v and 24v wings and they’re both the exact same. M6 10mm bolts all over.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was noting on earlier as in 60 series and early 70 series which are fixed with M8 12mm bolts with the thicker steel work in the panels.

When I first got my 81 it was damaged on the drivers side front corner and I noticed the smaller fixings etc as the M6 bolts were just snapping, just wasn't quite as easy to take appart, M8 fixings you have a much better chance of loosening the bolts. I was a bit misleading with my post.

I’ll happily be a Guinea pig, I’ve been a panel beater for the last 12 years and have experience manipulating replica wings to fit many times.

If they are THAT BAD then I recon you could use them as repair sections and cut/ weld in the areas that usually rust out behind the arch. That’s in the extreme case the shut lines to bonnet and door are miles out, which I doubt they will be tbh.

Did you ever get these wings? I’m looking to overhaul my bodywork next year and need a couple of new wings.

Did you ever get these wings? I’m looking to overhaul my bodywork next year and need a couple of new wings.
Hi I have a 2004 200 series 4.2 td. I replaced my front nearside wing for £350 ,including vat from Toyota. Not sure where my guy got the rear wheel arches from . But they're sll fitted and sprayed up and it looks brand new again
I'd had the arches done twice before but they never lasted long. This time all the old rusty arch area cut back till good steel . Total including respray of all hearside , respray front bumper, rear bumper removed and all wax oiled rear wheel arches cut out and repatriated fresh steel , machine polish total.£3000
I didn't think that too bad as they also fettled a few other parts.
Its 20 years old but is a keeper till the UK ULEZ....Ultra Low Emission Zone..system prices it off the road

Back