Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rims and tyre suggestions for FJ45 Troopy plus minor progress

LegoCruiser

Supporter
Country Flag
sweden
I'm thinking of changing the rims and tyres on my FJ45 troopy to something more original/more aesthetic. It currently has some white 15 inch rims with Cooper AT 31x10.5 R15LT tyres that I have the invoice for from 1999 and so I am not that convinced they are particularly safe anymore. The rims are showing some signs of rust but probably has no impact on their safety but while there is still plenty of tread on the tyres there are a few hairline cracks on the sidewall, which may or may not be an issue for the MOT equivalent here (Sweden).
IMG_5799.jpgIMG_5801.jpg
I like the look of this combination - BF Goodrich ATs (235/85 16) and 16 inch rims:
The Holy Grail of FJ40 wheels and tires? — Exploring Overland - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

The tyres are available here (in Sweden) but the rims are not. It seems something like them is available from Cruiser Parts in the US (unpainted with $1500 shipping!) or from City Racer LLC:
16" Wheels / Rims for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 FJ60 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
with a more reasonable(?) $455 shipping for a set of 5.

Does anyone know of a supplier of something similar in Europe? Or any other recommendations for something more traditional for a 40 series?

A little progress on my troopy.....New Bosch battery and regulator - now charging fine. I also discovered in an IH8MUD thread that my washer bottle and coolant overflow tank fit together and mount on an existing bracket - that was occupied by some box related to the alarm that I removed. So I moved them together and was able to removed even more cables, probably no room now for the second battery. I did a pretty poor job of rust proofing and painting the bracket so may do that again at some point but at least it's a bit tidier and cleaner on the inner wing. I also drained and flushed the coolant and cleaned up the coolant drains on the radiator and engine block. The radiator outlet was completed blocked with rust that I had to scrape out with a screwdriver. Cleaned up both and refitted with plumbing tape which I hope was OK to do.
IMG_5802.jpg

I wouldn't bother going to the huge expense and hassle of importing 16 inch rims from the US. They are readily available in Europe.

If you want an original type rim, they look like this
Hilux wheels.jpg

You can of course paint or powder coat them any colour. These still had the original Dunlop tyres on and probably came off an HJ60 or a Hilux and cost £160 for a set of four. They are a pretty standard Japanese 6 stud design and usually have the size and date stamped on the edge of the rim 6J x 16. The other alternative is split rims if you prefer tubed tyres.

They look quite similar to what I have already - but with a different shaped spoke cut out in the rims. I don't want split rims and really wanted something like this*:
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 12.46.36.png
*EDIT: granted these are probably split rims!

Last edited:
That style is really hard to find in non-split rim.

Personally, I'd go with Snowbound's suggestion and use 235/85R16s - in part, because that is what I've got, and I think it looks good (much better than I expected given what I paid for the wheels and tyres):
60303437_10206277247648279_2823026315114840064_n.jpg

And fitted up to our HJ45:
IMG_20191029_192455690.jpg

It's since had fresher tyres fitted, and they go a bit nicer than those (cheapo) ones did:
IMG_20191207_185955157.jpg

Hi have a look on ebay item number 274375077199 it's a good look but wheels r 15" hope it helps .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi have a look on ebay item number 274375077199 it's a good look but wheels r 15" hope it helps .
Thanks! - yes they do look good - so am I mistaken to think that 16" wheels are original? I tried using Toyodiy for my vehicle and it seems there is a mix of 15" and 16" tires but it's hard to decipher which part is the actual rim:
ToyoDIY.com - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

I think the rims you posted as the ones you'd like were a 60 series option and could be difficult to find
To fit a similar tyre to the old ones you have you are going to need a 7J x 15 rim but as Ed says the 235/85/16 are about the same diamenter, actually .7" taller, but the tyre is an 1.25" narrower which would save you having to fit some sort of edge flare to be legal (assuming Sweden doesn't allow tread visible outside the arch at the top).
Years back I borrowed a mate's rims (5 or 6 J , not sure which) but they had 235/70/16 tyres and they looked lost in the arches... so impressed was I, I never fitted them again!

Regards,

Rodger

I wonder if these would fit a 40 series - seem to be the right dimensions - 16 x 7, with 6 bolt holes and bolt circle diameter of 139.7. The offset is 35. They don't specify whether this is negative or positive so I am not sure if that is correct. Also doesn't say if they are J rims or not also there is no info on how large the central bore diameter is:
16" x 7" Tuff Torque Modular Steel Black ET35 - 4x4 Tyres - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

has anyone tried them?

Its a negative offset (closer to the curb) for sure

I wonder if these would fit a 40 series - seem to be the right dimensions - 16 x 7, with 6 bolt holes and bolt circle diameter of 139.7. The offset is 35. They don't specify whether this is negative or positive so I am not sure if that is correct. Also doesn't say if they are J rims or not also there is no info on how large the central bore diameter is:
16" x 7" Tuff Torque Modular Steel Black ET35 - 4x4 Tyres - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

has anyone tried them?

ET35 implies +35

They do have some ET0, but I think you need ET-12 at least.

I’m surprised how difficult it is to get 16x6 rims then. I will try my local Toyota spares department tomorrow. I found a couple of Toyota sites that appear to have oem rims for delivery from UAE or Japan to the US which doesn’t really help but at least they do seem to exist. I’d like to hear what they have to say and go from there. I may have to simply keep the existing 15x7 rims and put new tires on even though I don’t really like how wide they are. Rubbery fenders have already been installed so it’s the easiest and cheapest option.

Try Euro4x4parts. I got a rime for a buddy from them after his spare was stolen and from memory that was a 16 x 6J.
Also worth looking at www:megastore4x4.pt

Regards,

Rodger

Ah yes I think you told me about them earlier. I will bookmark them and take a look. Thanks

ET35 implies +35

They do have some ET0, but I think you need ET-12 at least.
Hi Ed, so Megastore4x4.pt have some 16" x J6 rims with either 0 or -10 offset - do you think the -10 would work? What is the reason for a negative offset anyway? Is it for clearing the brakes or something else? thanks

Hi Ed, so Megastore4x4.pt have some 16" x J6 rims with either 0 or -10 offset - do you think the -10 would work? What is the reason for a negative offset anyway? Is it for clearing the brakes or something else? thanks
-10 gives you the offset to clear the tie rod ends (0 tends to foul); my -12 was just from memory, but I can quickly work out the offest on my wheels if it would help - I've got one off the car at the moment, so easy enough to do.

A little progress on working out the right rim - megastore4x4 day that the 0 or -10 offset is purely aesthetic, though I am not sure myself. They asked me to give me info on the offset of my current rims but the info stamped on them is not very clear as to what the offset is. Can anyone work it out?
7JJ15 which I understand means width 7, tyre bead JJ and diameter 15. But then it has 95 8 YF. Is the offset 8 or 95 or not stated?
42A0A92F-6C40-433D-98E0-159ED75EB7D9.jpeg

the spare has different info

2F0B00B0-90F3-4497-B8B3-12256D7533B9.jpeg

any ideas?

A little progress on working out the right rim - megastore4x4 day that the 0 or -10 offset is purely aesthetic, though I am not sure myself. They asked me to give me info on the offset of my current rims but the info stamped on them is not very clear as to what the offset is. Can anyone work it out?
7JJ15 which I understand means width 7, tyre bead JJ and diameter 15. But then it has 95 8 YF. Is the offset 8 or 95 or not stated?
View attachment 166978

the spare has different info

View attachment 166981

any ideas?
On most Toyota wheels, those numbers signify year and month of manufacture. i.e. 1988 5th month

So do you think they are original Toyota rims? Although the vehicle is from 1982 not 1988 The cut outs are not how I’ve seen them on other vehicles - triangular but sloped, see the picture below
D19BB0AC-89D3-4EBA-99A9-CBDDF2CA42BD.jpeg
the spare is like I’ve seen on other spiked rims.

Back