Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rivnut tools ???

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I think I need a Rivnut tool (read 'I want a Rivnut tool' :lol: ) - but they seem fairly pricey for a 1/2 decent one? I looked at the Wurth one which is yummy but not at £250 thanks. MachineMart seem to have some fairly decent offerings, as per normal. Is this something that can be hired, does anyone know? Ideally looking for a fairly heavy-duty one (to M10 at least, preferably M12) and with riv-bolt capabilities too.

Cheers

Memfast.

That's the boy.

Chris

Wurth and Textron are both professional rivnut tools,
And i still prefer Memfast kit

You're not going to get M12 without bending the plastic though :sick:
Over the years I've made (adapted/bodged) several M12 setters for the very occasional job.
WARNING: Make sure any tool you see is rated to do STEEL.
M6-M12 might only be in alluminium nutserts, M6-M12 in steel nutserts and M6-M8 in Stainless nutserts for example. It pays to double check..........
Also check it'll crimp the nutserts you want to use.
No flange, small flange and large flange usually need separate tooling, select your nutserts first !

Worst bit about nutserts though is drilling the holes, i've got so many modified step drills its silly.
How else do you drill a 10.3mm hole in 1mm sheet ???? (for example)
Why can't they produce nutserts with regular OD's ? :evil: :think:

Thanks guys - this one looks to be a winner:

Memfast tool.

At £85 to M10 in mild steel and M8 in stainless. With studs ...

Cheers

It is but that doesn't have the 10mm mandrel. It wasn't available until recently. I plan to get the 10m at some point, but honestly the 6mm and 8mm seem to be the most used in my builds.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
well spotted :clap: :clap:

not sure if i would trust them above 8mm either

You may have a point there. It depends what you are going to hang off it. But that aside. It is a great tool. It's one of those tools that you just thank the Gods that you bought - when nothing else will do. I seem to have a lot of those sorts of things.

Chris

I've set steel M6 Rivnuts with nothing more than an M6 Stainless Steel Set Screw, two M6 nuts (one with the threads drilled out) and a couple of 6mm washers :) I think :think: Been a while since I've set any :) No fancy tool required if you only want to set a handfull of smaller thread ones :D

Been there done that. Now I have a tool. Oddly I never go back to trying to set them with an old spanner, some nuts and a couple of old washers. I also don't cut sheet steel with carved deer antler nor wear shoes made from leaves sewn together with sinew.

The memfast tool is quick, reliable and works a treat every time.

Chris

I also now own a Rivnut setting tool, but the bolt method is good if you only wish to set a few & don't own a tool :) I'd like to see the cutting steel thing with a dear antler though :D ;)

Trust me it's very slow. Plasma is much quicker.

Going to make a canoe later by burning out an old log cut down using a flint axe. You are welcome to watch if you have a week to spare.

Chris

I'll bring the Cigars :)

And a fire stick?

Good man. Hang on, cigars - what is this discovery that you speak of? Whatever next, baked pot- at- os?

C

sae70 said:
I'd like to see the cutting steel thing with a dear antler though :D ;)

Looks the same as cutting with a cheap antler, just gives a cleaner cut ;)

fridayman said:
sae70 said:
I'd like to see the cutting steel thing with a dear antler though :D ;)

Looks the same as cutting with a cheap antler, just gives a cleaner cut ;)
Oooops :shifty: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

for anchoring side panels firmly into thin metal it is hard to beat a nutzert.
i am happy i spent the money for the tool.

as one old guy told me, when buying tools, buy the best you can afford.
if you use it once, you WILL use it again.

I've got one of these http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/vclose1.a ... 2258004632 it's one of the best tools I've bought, it doesnt get used a lot but when it's needed nothing else will do. :thumbup:
When I was an apprentice sparky earning a pittance (first weeks wage was £2 13 shillings £2.65) an older sparky said "Buy one tool a week and make it the best you can afford" I'm still using some of them 50 years later. :shock:

its time i got one of these memfast tools,

but there are so many styles of the rivnut inserts..... I'm lost!

e.g.
steel, Flat Head, Round Body Rivet
Steel, Flat Head, Splined Body Rivet Nuts
hexagonal head etc
etc

and stainless or steel...

what do you guys find the best to use for most jobs! ?

:lol: I was quizzing people on this yesterday!! The mild steel with the splines are the ones to get apparently

Cheers

Back