Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ROLL OVER

PETE BELL

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
OK can you guys help , i have been told that if i roll my LC90 that i will -after putting on wheels again-have to remove the injectors from engine and turn engine over with starter then replace injectors :? cos if i dont i will blow the engine what do you think :thumbup: / :thumbdown:

Probably a wise precaution to prevent 'hydraulic lock' from bending your con rods.

If oil or diesel get into the combustion chamber on the compression stroke and another cylinder fires the piston effectively hits a wall - liquid being non-compressible - hence the damage.

In the old days one would turn the motor over with the ignition off using the starting handle to be sure that it was OK before firing it up. You could always tow it in gear a short distance, carefully, if you have a manual gearbox.

(Boring anecdote . . When I was very young a school friend told me that his father's diesel-powered cargo ship was out of service because water had got into one bore and had bent the crankshaft !).

Loved those pictures :thumbup:

Bob.

cheers BOB the thought of taking injectors out dont apeal very much but a tow sounds good prob 3rd gear with key switched off :thumbup:

PETE BELL said:
cheers BOB the thought of taking injectors out dont apeal very much but a tow sounds good prob 3rd gear with key switched off :thumbup:

That just checks that you don't have fluid above the pistons. If you do (and your wheels lock) you have to let it out :doh: .

Taking the glowplugs out is easier than removing the injectors and has the same effect. :thumbup:

Unless, of course, you have an '80' with a manifold heater instead of glowplugs :lol: :lol:

Worn bores and burnt valves stop this being a problem ( :think: ).

Bob.

Yep, glowplugs. That's what I took out when I rolled my 90. And No 1 cyl was full of oil. I would have busted it if I'd run it. The turbo will most likely have half a pint in it too.

Just turned it on the key and it spurted out everywhere.. Plugs back in, started on first touch. Smoked like a bugger for a while.

Chris

Worth popping the air filter out for a check too

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
BobMurphy said:
In the old days one would turn the motor over with the ignition off using the starting handle to be sure that it was OK before firing it up. You could always tow it in gear a short distance, carefully, if you have a manual gearbox.
By towing it you're still going to do the same damage as if you turned it on the key, take the plugs out or don't roll it is best.

cheers :thumbup: i try my v-v-best not to roll :pray: but if i do its plugs out :puke-front:

Back