Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

I don't really know what part I play in these proceedings, but maybe I can be permitted to recap in a summary way, how this thread and the "plan" (whatever that may be as of now) has developed.

It all started with ratrace suggesting a trip to Romania and whether anyone else was interested. He suggested Deva, in the extreme west of Romania, and I casually (but most genuinely) suggested I would be pleased if the group came to my place in Comarnic, some 400km further east. The potential Group as it was then, were in favour, rat race included, so that became the plan.

I'm ready for the group to stay at my place for as short or long as they wish and I'm still open to that. In the meantime, several of the initially interested members have dropped out, which is not unusual, and there's a little hardcore of 4 or 5 trucks that are still keen to come. These are from memory, Ratrace, Chas, Shayne, and some others which escape me without going back through the thread, and most recently Lyn is showing an interest. Forgive me if I've left people out, it's not intentional!

Therefore, on the issue of how much offroad there will be, I'm out of the discussion as far as the "to" and "from" journey is concerned, that's up to you guys.

However, while you're with me (for however long you choose) I feel obliged and willing to take you on some of the little trips local to me. These can be pure asphalt to visit castles and touristy stuff, and/or some offroad to the degree of difficulty that you want.

There are loads of routes that are forest tracks and will do no damage other than getting a bit muddy, and there are some that need care. Remember, there's paint on my truck that I don't want to damage either!

Thats it really, I don't want anyone to suffer damage, me included, but I would like to think you've all got the best out of your visit. I'll do my best to see to that, which may be limited because I don't get enough time to myself to explore.

Ultimately, it's all up to you guys. I also have an idea to travel west with you when you leave, just for a day and night perhaps, then say farewell and return home, leaving you to your return journey to the UK.

Your trip is circa 2 weeks, 2-3 days each way, and circa one week in Romania. It's a big country, and you won't see it all by a long way. My advice would be to plan target areas and focus on them, otherwise you'll drive around aimlessly and end up seeing nothing. That would be a shame.

I can offer countryside, mountains, lakes, valleys, asphalt, forest roads, and offroad. End of.

Looking forward to seeing you all immensely :dance:

My plan will likely end up being a mad last minute rush to work out where i'm going , how to get there and what to do when i am there , all aimed at ensuring i'm not a burden to anybody , its just how i am . Helen would already be counting towels and packing teabags and perhaps a tin of beans just in case if i told her we are going to be staying in a 5 star hotel in Cardiff for a weekend a year from today . If you think you can keep us occupied for a week Clive , and of course assuming you want to , i don't really see there's much planning to do . There and back with a week of excursions leaves 2 or 3 days free to deviate from any plan which to me seems ideal . Or am i reading things wrong ?

There and back with a week of excursions leaves 2 or 3 days free to deviate from any plan which to me seems ideal . Or am i reading things wrong ?

That sounds like my plan too Shayne.

ok the LC is sold plus i have sold the Shogun because wife wants a new car or i don't go

taking LR because its a nice easy fix for Wayne and me

to see my point gearbox/transfer in and out 10 hours

wheel bearing about 1 hour with a tea break
u/j fix in about 1 hour as well
water pump about an hour

head gasket easy 1/2 day not inc cool down time

fuel will be about 28 miles to the gal on or off-road

Plus her in doors would never allow me to get the LC near any dirt (boring)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok guys, I just need to know whose coming, to have an idea of numbers, so far I've got:

Ratrace
Chas
Shayne
Moggy (haven't heard in a while, still in mate?)
toolsplus (ditto)
Lynn

any more takers? Please post, adding or removing your name as appropriate. I'll take a browse up the thread to see who else was interested (if any).

Last edited:
I will more than likely be meeting up with the rest of you in Calais, have you thought about the route to Romania. It is in the region of 2,300km so a couple of stops on the way will be needed. Have a look at the AA route planner to see if there is anything on that route of interest to anyone.
Lyn.

Lyn

This is what we are look at

Ok for me its 1550 miles and my max is 400 miles a day

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sadd...h-Wx5EQWzQDGGNK8on0y00w&oq=com&mra=ls&t=m&z=6

So 1st stop around Frankfurt so found this one

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/...e190b9fdc04934

info about the site is here

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/eur...uscamp-107998/

Next stop is Vienna and found another campsite

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=48...6.134061&spn=0.003349,0.008256&num=1&t=m&z=18

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/eur...erwald-101578/

looking at the route this was a ggod stop which allow us do Hungary in one hit and stay at a campsite in Romania

Last overnight stop will be here

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=46.131821,21.599654&hl=en&num=1&t=m&z=16

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/eur...emenie-118083/

this will be the same on the way home

Last edited:
Beautiful house and i would be happy to live in a shack in that setting. Varnish :shock: are you serious :? there must be something better ?

Thanks Shayne, it's a bit shack-like close up. I liken it to indoor camping inside :lol: But it's warm and cosy and our pride & joy.

I suppose there is better than varnish Shayne, we can get Sadolin, but after 10 years of varnishing, some poor bugger will have the devil of a job to remove it all, and it won't be me, we estimated 500m2 of exterior wood.....

Any ideas on how to convert from varnish to Sadolin economically? I would like something like Thompson's water seal but there's nothing like it here.:icon-cry:

Any ideas on how to convert from varnish to Sadolin economically? I would like something like Thompson's water seal but there's nothing like it here.:icon-cry:

How much do you need Clive? I'm sure we will have between us enough nooks and crannys for some cans.

I would scaffold and sandblast but of course that may not be an option where you are and much as i hate to say it i have never seen anything that compares to good old fashioned creosote for protecting exterior wood :think: i wonder if there's a lighter version that's easier on the eye ?

I would scaffold and sandblast but of course that may not be an option where you are and much as i hate to say it i have never seen anything that compares to good old fashioned creosote for protecting exterior wood :think: i wonder if there's a lighter version that's easier on the eye ?

I can't get creosote. They banned it in the UK and it seems the Brussels lot have banned it here too. Some light coloured creosote would be just the job, how many rotten telegraph poles do you see?

I also want to maintain the colour, or more like the "natural" color of wood and grain. The problem with Sadolin is that it's too much like a paint, it covers and masks the grain and colors the wood too much for my liking.

TBH, we've been using stuff called "sticky varnish" and it's great, it has the consistency of thick "STP" if you remember that stuff. It doesn't run and it sticks, not much sign of it peeling off and the sun is fierce up here in the summer.

Well see, we're used to forking out every 2 years to have it done, so we'll continue with the programme for a bit.

I might be wrong but i think its only banned from sale to the general public and is still available to business buyers . Tung oil would be the best but i think you would have to import a 45 gallon drum from China .

No idea what "sticky varnish" is but the name suggests it could be very similar to tung :think: wonder if you could thin it enough to make it penetrate ?

Last edited:
I might be wrong but i think its only banned from sale to the general public and is still available to business buyers . Tung oil would be the best but i think you would have to import a 45 gallon drum from China .

It would be good if you're right on that one Shayne, I'll investigate trying to get some wholesale. If I do it in clear or light creosote, it will soak in behind the varnish and gradually replace it bit by bit, over time.

I can't get creosote. They banned it in the UK and it seems the Brussels lot have banned it here too. Some light coloured creosote would be just the job, how many rotten telegraph poles do you see?

I also want to maintain the colour, or more like the "natural" color of wood and grain. The problem with Sadolin is that it's too much like a paint, it covers and masks the grain and colors the wood too much for my liking.

TBH, we've been using stuff called "sticky varnish" and it's great, it has the consistency of thick "STP" if you remember that stuff. It doesn't run and it sticks, not much sign of it peeling off and the sun is fierce up here in the summer.

Well see, we're used to forking out every 2 years to have it done, so we'll continue with the programme for a bit.

Bit surprised, I can get any amount of it in Ireland and the government here is famous for taking it up the 1ss from the euro weenies!!

Mind you I only see it in 5 gallon drums in agricultural wholesalers....

Awful smell off it, I'd only ever use it on wooden floors in animal trailers or on outdoor fencing.

Shane, I retimbered a horsebox I got cheaply and used proper yacht varnish after properly sanding and priming, did a lovely job.

You might be onto something there Yogi the Isle of Man is not a member of the EU and thats where i'm thinking of when i say i can still get it . It stinks for a short while but once its on its on for good and recoating a house that size every couple of years is a LOT of maintenance . Proper yacht varnish (the expensive stuff) is usually part tung oil so it doesn't completely harden , Clive doesn't need the impact resistant chemicals mixed with it .

Bit surprised, I can get any amount of it in Ireland and the government here is famous for taking it up the 1ss from the euro weenies!!

Mind you I only see it in 5 gallon drums in agricultural wholesalers....

Awful smell off it, I'd only ever use it on wooden floors in animal trailers or on outdoor fencing.

Shane, I retimbered a horsebox I got cheaply and used proper yacht varnish after properly sanding and priming, did a lovely job.

It's a fire hazard too yogi, burns like petrol (not quite) but it's pretty volatile. Think I'll stay with the sticky varnish for a while. :thumbup:

Ive taken this thread off topic, sorry Ratrace, still, it's had a good run near the top of the unreads :lol:

No idea what "sticky varnish" is but the name suggests it could be very similar to tung :think: wonder if you could thin it enough to make it penetrate ?

It was an edit so maybe you missed it .

Surprisingly Shayne, it does penetrate, certainly enough to stop it peeling off in sheets. Maybe I'll try thinning it when I can find someone to apply it!

Anyway, it can all wait till next summer now, I've got enough work-in-progress going on with the extension, as you'll no doubt see when you come. It's moving very slowly recently, the speed is governed by the spare cash, which is limited these days... :|

Back