Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2016 - Comarnic visit in September

Garmin just got back to me asking where is this new motorway through Romania that they don't know about and what is it called . Would someone be kind enough to form a reply for me because i'm sure to mess it up :oops:

Edit - sent them this -

The A1 motorway in Romania is 363km and according to wikipedia is only partially built , first hand experience says the road is open and while Garmin recognizes it in places my new and fully updated satnav insisted i alter route on a number of occasions . Please note i traveled from Comarnic to Arad only .

Last edited:
Pretty much on the button I think Shayne, ultimately it will be almost 600km long (580-ish) but it's proving to be a slow process. I think that's why the mappers don't recognise it too much as yet.

There's been a lot of "implementation" disputes (one reason I'm employed) which cover a wide range of subjects from procurement of the contracts themselves, through design "difficulties" to payment "difficulties" and that's really been the main reason for the slowness. Without any certainty, it's understandable that the mappers will "wait and see" before they spend money investing in updates.

The terrain is rather difficult here in places, that makes the projects expensive (Euro/km) and for some reason, it seems the funding sometimes gets diverted to "other" things... :think: so uncertainty is the only certain thing here :lol:

Sadly, Politics gets in the way of progress too much here, but there's not much sense whinging about it too much.

Fair play to Garmin though, at least they asked... :thumbup:

Funny thing is once the A1 is officially recognized and all the heavy haulage shifts to it i bet i would prefer the old roads . An almost abandoned motorway is fun though :eusa-whistle:

In some ways yes Shayne, it just depends on "when" you want to get where you're going.

For example, the A2 will get you from Bucharest to the seaside in 2 and a bit hours in my truck with me driving it (in old fart mode) even with heavy traffic.

The same journey on the old roads used to take the best part of 4 hours, with normal traffic.

More interesting, but painful...

Back