Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

It does look fun. If we go there again, I'll post some more photos...

Here's a short vid of snowy lane... it really was a nice drive...

Watch it with the sound off, all you can hear is wind and 430,000 km of wear :lol:

Looks a really nice run. Were those cars towing sleds? Nice of the chap to reverse back about half a mile for you.

Romania (Europe) in general is a fantastic part of the World.. Enjoy it Clive... Stunning Mate.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am indeed Higgy, it's been 18 years since I came here and there's no reason for me to consider returning to the UK lo live.
I dont want to start anything political, And we all have choices, But I often find my self wondering WTF. Im doing in the U.K... It Just doesnt do it for me anymore...A big hats off to ya mate...:thumbup:

I dont want to start anything political, And we all have choices, But I often find my self wondering WTF. Im doing in the U.K... It Just doesnt do it for me anymore...A big hats off to ya mate...:thumbup:
I think this too. But someone said to me recently ‘if you didn’t really understand the language and could just see what was in front of you, how would you feel then?’ It did make me think.

My decision to come here wasn't political in any way, Romanian politics are a mess, always have been, if you think the UK has political problems, they don't even scratch the surface compared with here.

I came on a 15 month contract assignment, in 2001, but circumstances were such that I extended that to 4 years. In that time, I met and married my Romanian wife Aura, and the rest is history as they say.

Looking at it retrospectively, my life has never been 'planned' as it were, I've just found myself adapting to circumstances. As far as living in Romania goes, it suits me down to the ground. I'm lucky in many respects, my job here treats me as an expat, so the salary is on a par with the UK. Local salaries are 1/3 of that, on average.

It's a beautiful country (as is the UK) and it still gives 'freedom' to its citizens with fairly relaxed rules and regulations. Very beurocratic at the same time, but there's little physical restrictions, such as driving forest roads and off piste on the mountains, as long as you’re not in designated National Park areas.

Because of ascention into Europe, the EU restrictions are starting to bite, but it will take a few years yet, Romania can’t bring itself to change its laws to accord, so either the EU will collapse before then, or Romania may even get booted out for failing to comply... :lol:

It has everything I need (except unsmoked sausages and bacon and Banks’ Bitter) and I’m very happy and consider myself very privileged to be and stay here :icon-biggrin: :thumbup:

Iv lived in many countries around the world. New Zealand, Canada Denmark, On And off through out Europe and because of different circumstances always ended up back in the UK.. But after a while always find my self asking the same question.... Why!... ? Dont know. Cant answer it.. Anyway Romania seems Ok ..:thumbup:

Because its home Higgy . I'm not really a home person i grew up mostly in the Isle of Man yet i've been in Wales 18 years , i genuinely considered buying a place in Romania after visiting Clive but alas i will never drag the mrs away from her family .

Like as not i will be buried at "home" regardless of where i end up .

Perhaps that's why i feel so acutely aware of how Islander mentality is so very different from "mainlanders"

Last edited:
There was never anywhere I wanted to live other than the UK, it's a beautiful country with a rich and varied culture. I even signed up to defend it with my life if necessary and I have spent my working life looking after it's population.
Thats changed in the last 10 years. Maybe I'm just more aware, I don't know, but I am entirely disillusioned with the politics, the people, the education, the bullshit, the expense and the system. I would leave tomorrow if I could.
The country has gone to the dogs, this once proud country is a shadow of it's former self.

There was never anywhere I wanted to live other than the UK, it's a beautiful country with a rich and varied culture. I even signed up to defend it with my life if necessary and I have spent my working life looking after it's population.
Thats changed in the last 10 years. Maybe I'm just more aware, I don't know, but I am entirely disillusioned with the politics, the people, the education, the bullshit, the expense and the system. I would leave tomorrow if I could.
The country has gone to the dogs, this once proud country is a shadow of it's former self.
I thought you had left? :confusion-shrug:
If only temporarily.

In all honesty I have to agree. Ten years ago a friend of ours said he would give this country ten years. A lot has changed in those ten years to make me feel like you. As Shayne, I think I would leave tomorrow if it wasn’t for Lynn staying with her family. TBH I’d have to take my elderly Mum with me which would pose other challenges. I suspect when the time comes that we can leave, it will be too late. The other question is where would we go? It’s easy to see foreign lands with rose tinted specs but my cousin in Spain said it was same sh!t different language. I haven’t forgotten this.

I thought you had left? :confusion-shrug:
If only temporarily.

In all honesty I have to agree. Ten years ago a friend of ours said he would give this country ten years. A lot has changed in those ten years to make me feel like you. As Shayne, I think I would leave tomorrow if it wasn’t for Lynn staying with her family. TBH I’d have to take my elderly Mum with me which would pose other challenges. I suspect when the time comes that we can leave, it will be too late. The other question is where would we go? It’s easy to see foreign lands with rose tinted specs but my cousin in Spain said it was same sh!t different language. I haven’t forgotten this.
Natallia got refused her residency so that’s slightly buggered the plan.

i genuinely considered buying a place in Romania after visiting Clive but alas i will never drag the mrs away from her family

Mine was the same so I started with small steps, her parents lived in London and she wanted to stay close so we moved to Kent. Then just before she got settled we moved to Northern Ireland. :laughing-rolling:
The next step would be some where in eastern Europe and then maybe Canada, it needs to be on a different continent but I fear I'm fighting a loosing battle with the last 2 until the kids are out of the house.

Mine was the same so I started with small steps, her parents lived in London and she wanted to stay close so we moved to Kent. Then just before she got settled we moved to Northern Ireland. :laughing-rolling:
The next step would be some where in eastern Europe and then maybe Canada, it needs to be on a different continent but I fear I'm fighting a loosing battle with the last 2 until the kids are out of the house.
Do you think she may be getting wise to the cunning plan at this stage H? :lol:

Back