Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

Not ours Clive, glad you’ve got it all joking aside and are getting out enjoying it. To be fair, although it’s cold here, it’s bright and sunny with clear blue skies.

We had something of a surprise to greet us this weekend just gone, someone’s been spending the Mayor’s surplus cash before the year end fiscal curfew... bless him...

F99A0A8B-C020-43A7-A4BC-FBDFBD23DF59.jpeg

Fresh concrete passing my gateway.... :shock: ????

Up the hill the same...
3D81F3C2-2684-4F7E-A9CC-56AC72B77EE2.jpeg

And down the hill the same...

3D1D78AE-EE36-431B-A822-74FCF37E962F.jpeg

They ran out of grey sloppy stuff just before they reached the junction at the bottom, but we’re assured they’ll finish it off this week.

Progress, whatever next, they’ll be digging it up in the summer to lay a sewer or somesuch... :lol:

It even prompted me to sweep the apron in the gateway on Sunday... so clean and proper it looks now. They’ve even promised to line the side-ditch with concrete, but I’ll believe that when I see it.

We have to be careful, at this rate we’ll get dragged into the 20th century if we don’t watch out :lol:

Progress indeed, Some form of Tax will be going Up! Clive.. Love the post and rail fencing round the tree... Its a good job your Gates open Inwards..

Can’t quite understand the break in the nice straight shuttering line by your gate. Is your pipe under your drive clear? It doesn’t look very thick and I expect you’ll get the base of your wall eroded if they don’t concrete it but it’s progress of sorts I suppose.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can’t quite understand the break in the nice straight shuttering line by your gate. Is your pipe under your drive clear? It doesn’t look very thick and I expect you’ll get the base of your wall eroded if they don’t concrete it but it’s progress of sorts I suppose.

Problem is Rich, my gate apron is level between the gate posts with a fall towards the track. The finished level of the new concrete is a fall down the hill, so it’s quite a height above my apron on the left and almost the same as the apron on the right.

They just sloped the concrete down over my apron tapering to nothing which would have spalled away in no time. I removed a bucket full of overlapping concrete and tamped it back to form a vertical edge. That way water discharging from my land over the apron will be channeled away to the right.

Yep, my pipe is under the apron, so I used the bucket of concrete to blank off the ditch on the left side, to guide ditch water into the chamber on the upstream end of my pipe.

It should be OK, the cranked edge is by the pedestrian gate and there’s quite a rise there to the road, but that cant be helped.

Progress indeed, Some form of Tax will be going Up! Clive.. Love the post and rail fencing round the tree... Its a good job your Gates open Inwards..

That’s my neighbor’s fence, Catalin, he has horses.

Nail the rails to the tree, why not? Saves a post or two... :lol:

He’s a good guy, taught my daughter from the age of 3 to ride a full size horse, she’s not very interested now at 10 years old, but at least she’s not afraid of horses.

She can take it up again if she wants to. He also gives me as much manure as I want to dress the grass with over the winter .... and the roses... :thumbup:

We had something of a surprise to greet us this weekend just gone, someone’s been spending the Mayor’s surplus cash before the year end fiscal curfew... bless him...

View attachment 152259
Fresh concrete passing my gateway.... :shock: ????

Up the hill the same...
View attachment 152260

And down the hill the same...

View attachment 152261

They ran out of grey sloppy stuff just before they reached the junction at the bottom, but we’re assured they’ll finish it off this week.

Progress, whatever next, they’ll be digging it up in the summer to lay a sewer or somesuch... :lol:

It even prompted me to sweep the apron in the gateway on Sunday... so clean and proper it looks now. They’ve even promised to line the side-ditch with concrete, but I’ll believe that when I see it.

We have to be careful, at this rate we’ll get dragged into the 20th century if we don’t watch out :lol:

Ooh! There's posh

No no no NO !

I loved that we had to leave the road to go "home" :violin:

It’s all in the name of progress Shayne, sad but true.

Like I said, I don’t need it, but for visitors by car in the winter, they (or usually me) have to lug their luggage up the hill from the “bar” next junction down. PITA :doh:

Ooh! There's posh

Too posh really Chas. But as Ana said, within a week it’ll be covered in sheep and horse poo and all that goes with it :lol:

It’s all in the name of progress Shayne, sad but true.

Like I said, I don’t need it, but for visitors by car in the winter, they (or usually me) have to lug their luggage up the hill from the “bar” next junction down. PITA :doh:

Too posh really Chas. But as Ana said, within a week it’ll be covered in sheep and horse poo and all that goes with it :lol:
Give it a few winters with no maintainance and it will be worse than a gravel track!

Give it a few winters with no maintainance and it will be worse than a gravel track!
I did wonder about the wisdom of laying concrete in low temperatures but I guessed Comarnic wasn’t experiencing the cold like it was a week or so ago.

I did wonder about the wisdom of laying concrete in low temperatures but I guessed Comarnic wasn’t experiencing the cold like it was a week or so ago.

It was 5C when they laid it and it dropped to about 1C or 2C overnight.

We were horrified (both of us are in the construction industry) because the weekend before it was -9C during the day... :doh:

It was 5C when they laid it and it dropped to about 1C or 2C overnight.

We were horrified (both of us are in the construction industry) because the weekend before it was -9C during the day... :doh:
Let’s hope they used frostproofer in the concrete or the warmth of it going off kept the frost away. :icon-rolleyes:

Let’s hope they used frostproofer in the concrete or the warmth of it going off kept the frost away. :icon-rolleyes:

No chance of any useful additives in this mix Rich, unfortunately. However, its going in fairly thick, so yes there will be some exothermic heat generated which may be enough to fend off our mate “Jack F”.

It will no doubt crack at some stage, and with no contraction (or expansion) joints in a 1km continuous pour :)laughing-rolling:) who knows when and where they will appear. What a waste of good concrete when the job isn’t done right, I simply despair and find it’s easier to just give up...

Did they Pat it down smooth with the backs of their Shovels!?..' Kinda' thing id do:lol:..

Did they Pat it down smooth with the backs of their Shovels!?..' Kinda' thing id do:lol:..

Yep, shovel patting came after walking about in it in their wellies as you do :lol:

One guy actually set up a screed, I was quite impressed. But they couldn’t use it in the bit by my gate...

Well I suppose there’s little chance of anything much heavier than a fully laden cruiser going up your lane. Mind you, I guess they got the concrete truck up there. :think:

Back