Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

Thursday 10 October 2019

Bit of an update on the old man, for those that met him, he’s now officially in his 100th year, after celebrating his 99th birthday yesterday.

Since they got his medication much more finely tuned over recent months, he was fully compos mentis and had a very happy day with a steady stream of visitors, a birthday cake (or two), balloons and a family gathering.

Congrats Aurel, and many of ‘em...

La Multi Ani (as they say here). :clap::clap::clap:

69496B3D-3321-45BC-8D22-9AF3015D483D.jpeg
B3F0EE79-48B5-46A6-A5E0-D4B820796C5C.jpeg
1EA9E270-3D7C-4FAD-AA5C-15DC74D71C7C.jpeg
D0051FA4-ABD0-417F-B05D-2C656E6CA8FA.jpeg

That's just great Clive, wish the old man Happy Birthday from me please.

That's just great Clive, wish the old man Happy Birthday from me please.

Will do Chas, and thanks, he won’t remember individuals, but I think he’ll recall the LC Club visits, so it will be a group message

WOW some achievement! Belated birthday greetings to Aurel......just one question though how come he isn't wearing a Toyota hat of some kind?? :tonguewink:;););)

Fantastic Clive. It’ll be great for him to reach 100. Fingers crossed.
Give him our regards and belated birthday wishes. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
WOW some achievement! Belated birthday greetings to Aurel......just one question though how come he isn't wearing a Toyota hat of some kind?? :tonguewink:;););)

that’s my bad... my Sis-in-law got there first with a cap from Papua New Guinea... where she spends half of each year with her job...
He’s never driven a motor vehicle of any sort in his 99 years :lol:

Last edited:
that’s my bad... my Sis-in-law got there first with a cap from Papua New Guinea...
He’s never driven a motor vehicle of any sort in his 99 years :lol:
He looks well which should be all the reassurance you both need to accept you made the right decisions regarding his care :thumbup:

Thanks Shayne, we try to think so, and he’s even admitted it himself.
Typical of his generation, he can’t bring himself to say “thanks”.
The closest he’s got is saying to Aura, (translated), “...you were a good investment...”.
I cracked up laughing when I realized what he’d said, meaning thanks for making sure I’m being looked after... :icon-rolleyes:

Thursday, 16 January 2020.

For the sake of those of you who met him, I’m saddened to announce that my Father-in-law Aurel Ungur passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning.

It is a blessing, his time had come.

Really sorry to hear this Clive. Aurel has left a mark and made a difference in his life, in this he has achieved something I think we would all want to achieve.

There are few people that I have met that have left such an impression on me.

He was a truly amazing gentleman.
Our thoughts are with you, Aura, Eni, Nina and Ana.

Thursday, 16 January 2020.

For the sake of those of you who met him, I’m saddened to announce that my Father-in-law Aurel Ungur passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning.

It is a blessing, his time had come.
So sad Clive, he was an old man and these things happen but just be glad you had him in your life, I am glad to have met him and he will always be remembered, he was a great man. I'm hohoured to have met him. When we first met he seemed so full of life, he made an impression on me that will never be forgotten.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your kind words, he was a formidable man and he fought his passing right to the end.

His passion for preservation of the Romanian forests has continued since his retirement from government as Minister of Forestry and Agriculture in the 1980s with his persistent lobbying of the succession of Prime Ministers and Presidents since then, when he founded a preservation committee devoted to forestry protection more than 30 years ago.

He once gave me access to his yahoo account (because he had problems editing an email address in his contacts) and the list of dignitaries he’d been emailing over the years was amazing. Prime Ministers, presidents, EU commissioners, environment experts, you name it, they were there, not just in Romania but Hungary, Bulgaria, Russia, Slovenia, Ukraine - the list was seemingly endless.

A remarkable man Clive and few get to leave such a remarkable legacy . As you say his time had come and from the impression i got of Aurel he went to sleep thinking exactly that , no surrender just i've seen enough and its time to rest .

The show must go on , he knew it which brings to mind my favourite line from any and all songs i ever knew

"Quietly now while I turn a page
Act one is over without costume change
The principal would like to leave the stage
The crowd don't understand"

Back