Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof Rack Build

james-c

Garage
Country Flag
namibia
Evening all... I have started building a roof rack for my 80 over the Easter weekend. The reason for building is that I couldn't bring myself to pay N$10,000 (650 pounds) for the roof racks available here in Namibia (front runner etc), when the materials would cost about 60 pounds.

Anyway, I modeled my design on this one: http://www.bajarack.com/toyota-lc-large

I used the following round tubing:
25mm (1 inch) diameter, 1.6mm wall, for the frame
19mm (3/4 inch) diameter, 1.6mm wall, for the cross beams
aluminium sheeting for the wind deflector

Dimensions of the rack: 1,320mm wide and 2,100mm long

Weight: about 26kgs

Here goes:
I started with the bottom frame:
20140418_092206.jpg

And then added the cross members:
20140418_150137.jpg

James, nice work, looking forward to the full build. You could throw a mattress on there and sleep out! Looks better than my bed.

Then came the top frame and the vertical upright supports:
20140419_104549.jpg

20140419_104601.jpg

I used a 25mm hole saw to cut the coping at ends of the tubing to form a snug fit.

Then a few licks of paint
DSC_0007.JPG

I have some old roof bars which I used just to see what it looks like on Betsy (my cruiser):
20140421_154259.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get some aluminum sheeting from the wind deflector. And I need to get some ideas of how to make the feet - I'll appreciate any ideas or tips on building feet for the rack.

Lol, yeah I was thinking that it would make a good sleeping place.. just need to build a tent, or just sleep under the stars

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sweet! So how come they cost so much from the factory, eh?

That's fantastic. I'm struggling to find a roof rack here that won't break the bank. Unfortunately I don't have your welding skills!

Hey James, have a look at Warren's thread HERE for inspiration on mounting feet for your rack :cool:

That's fantastic. I'm struggling to find a roof rack here that won't break the bank. Unfortunately I don't have your welding skills!

couple of options for you.

I've got some heavy duty roof bars from Halfords. Very strong, good wide feet and about £100 for a set of three.

did really well driving to the Gambia. then all you need is a basket to attach to it. easy enough to find a cheap 2nd hand rack you can cut the feet off now you don't have to worry about the width, or you could make a wood base to attach to the bars.

These days I have an upracks, which in it's most basic form is quite reasonable compared to other racks, although accessories are pricey.

Hey James, have a look at Warren's thread HERE for inspiration on mounting feet for your rack :cool:

Thanks. I saw that post and it inspired me. I made 4 of them feet and stuck them on the rack - nice and sturdy. I want to make another 4 so that I've got 8 feet holding it up. Heres a pick of me testing them:
20140508_093126.jpg20140508_093133.jpg

Still need to finish them off and tidy them up a bit

yeh, you deffo need at least one more pair of feet there, 2 pair even better. nice wide feet though. Aim to position the feet over the C post if you can rather than over the span of the window frame

I'd go for at least 3 each side, it's one thing I like about the ARB rack, nice wide spread too. Watch out for branches snagging the down clamp too. A capping would prevent that, unless you don't do too much tree bashing in the ruts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.2 KB · Views: 223
yeh, you deffo need at least one more pair of feet there, 2 pair even better. nice wide feet though. Aim to position the feet over the C post if you can rather than over the span of the window frame

Thanks for the advice - I'll build accordingly. I'll probably add another 2 pairs since I have already half finished them, and that it gives better weight distribution.

Nice work mate - this thing is looking good.

In regards to the roof rack, I believe the best design is to have a length of flat bar that runs the length of your gutters, which is welded to the top section of the roof rack. Then, you can use 3 - 4 clamps to secure it and be sure the load is as best distributed along the gutters as possible.

I've attached a photo in case my explanation above doesn't make sense!

Aaron20140630_183151.jpg

Yeah, I've seen those designs. The problem is that there is a slight curvature in the gutters and I don't trust my fabrication skills yet to match the curve. :)

Back