Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof rack height

warrenpfo

How high is just right?

Currently mine sits 200mm above the roof which is way to heigh.

yneteze3.jpg

raza8yvy.jpg

Given I only want to have it welded once how low should I go??

Enough to tilt and open the sun roof but maybe slightly more for a table and solar panels??

Any ideas welcome

100 mm should be fine but remember the roof is dome shaped so you'll have less in the middle.

My rack uses the standard Hannibal mounts and I can tilt my sunroof just enough to let some heat escape.....my next mission would be to get the higher mounts to allow me to fit a table and solar panel. At the moment I have these inside on the top parcell shelf.

We should brainstorm this one!!:doh:

Given the gutter is not level I have the front foot at 11cm the middle at 9 and the rear at 10cm or there abouts. It gives a level rack and 10mm between the top of the sunroof and the bottom of the each when tilted open. I want it as close to the roof as possible to reduce drag etc. solar panel will go ontop of roof tent and table in the car for now. Will post pictures as I go

I made my feet 130mm high and gives a gap of about 30mm between the roof rack and the center of the roof. This allows me to fully tilt my sunroof open with about 10mm to spare.

Although I didn't make this rack muself there is about 17-19mm clearance in the middle of the roof. I guess they should be engineered so the C of G is as low as possible.. It has been made so that it sits level when the roof tent is on but I would imagine that could alter when more luggage is added. As I do not have a sun roof it doesn't bother me but it was made with a sun roof in mind.
so there are a multitude of factors to consider when planning a roof rack Warren but there will always be a great deal of compromise.IMG_0818_zps2e1e04d7.jpg

Andy

When I built mine I allowed as little as poss between the rack and roof. 20mm or less. There is an opening for the sunroof to go up between the bars.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I am quite pleased with the outcome. More work to be done but it's looking promising.

upupy9y7.jpg

ujarades.jpg

y5u2a9a3.jpg

azavybu3.jpg

vyretety.jpg

u8enutyj.jpg

Sorry for the bad light I will take better pics when I am done.

liking what you've done with the feet there, spreads the load well.

About height, my rack has a mesh base mounted on lateral tubes.

Occasionally, as my DD, I do wash my truck and I found on the lower settings, it's just impossible to clean the roof.

So, it sits high on its feet and for the uses I put it to, I don't have any height related problems.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 201
Warren - if you plan to stand on the rack then measure the displacement - even with my super sturdy Hannibal there is a small displacement when my lightweight frame is stood up there - likewise a couple of people in a roof tent (middle) or a heavy dead weight (spare wheel/jerry cans) in the middle under shock loads. You could use some strips of blue-tak a bit like long jumpers take-off boards

Back