Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof Tents amd Awnings

Hi

Thanks to everyone for there input. Lots of great feedback, thank you.

Pumpy, thanks for the link to Tuff-Trek. Got some interesting stuff on there site.

Having done the road trip round Norway and Sweden, I just felt I would have had more options of places to stop over if I had had a roof tent. So that my thinking about getting one. I am concerned about wind but to be honest if its gets that rough I can sleep in the car. I did that a few times on the trip as it was.

This morning I put a offer in for a roof tent and awning on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hannibal-...tr-/112171139476?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Its a Hannibal 1.4m, thinking 1.4 would be fine, I then measured the car, I felt 1.4 is going to be to big. I am I right in saying that? Looks to me a 1.2m is the sensible option for a 120?

I'll be interested to hear from anyone with a 120 and a roof tent and what size they are using.

Thanks again.

Regards

Gary

Remember that the roof tent need not just go over the back, it can. Just as easy go over the side. So a 1.4 or 1.6 or 1.8 will easily sit on the roof of the 120, side astride.

I have just got a 1.6m Howling Moon and have set it up over the side. Couple of things I need to improve like having it overlap the roof bars, but am considering putting it over the back instead. I originally didn't do this in case cooking smells from a stove on the bottom tailgate went into and stayed in the tent. Anyone had any experience of this? Is it a problem or do the awning vents save it.
Any other cons? One pro I can see and the reason for doing it really, is to gain access to the tailgate rather than a side door through the access panel in the annexe if it's weeing down for breakfast.

1.6m will over hang the lc120 both sides if mounted to open over the back.

1.6m will over hang the lc120 both sides if mounted to open over the back.
Sorry KB, semi thread jack as mine will be on my 80. It's 1.2m on the side (and I guess all variants are) so an extra 400mm will make it a bit wide. Windage (aerodynamics) would be increased by a third unless a deflector were fitted. Lots to think about.

I was think hanging over the back, with sides, that's why i thought 1.4 would be to big.

I also want to have a side awning. How would I best archive this on a 120?

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As others have said, it's really horses for courses. If your trips are mostly A to B to C etc. clamshell/hardshell with a 270 awning and tapered sides is hard to beat IMO. If you base at A and daytrip, or spend longer in one spot, a ground tent wins slightly over RTTs.

With a clamshell there is much less windnoise, you can pack up in a couple of mins and leave the bedding in there, it's darker so lie-ins are easier in light mornings; folding RTTs have more space but can't leave the bedding in, they can hold a bit of weight up high if they're wet, not much advantage over a groundtent except for being able to pitch on tarmac/rock, and climb the ladder in the dry on some set-ups, break-camp is slower than with a decent fast errect bigger ground tent. A few of the overland tour companies recomend ground tents over RTTs!

Hi

From my experience on the trip, 90% was one night stops. So I think the hardshell, 270 awning is going to my best option. Being able to store bedding in the hardshell is a big plus, as I'm going to loose the roof box, inside storage is going to be restricted.

Just need to figure out how to mount the Awning onto the car. Has anyone put a 270 awning on a 120?

Huge thanks to everyone's input.

Regards

Gary

You'll need a roofrack for the RTT, mount the awning to that. I've not seen one on a 120, but my mate has a 270 on a D4 which has a similar sized roof iirc, his clamshell is on roofbars on the D4, there's some attachments fix into the end of the roofbars to fit the awning.

IMG_4127_zps9xghaiv2.jpg

You can mount to either a roof rack or roof bars. Again there's pros and cons to each. The roof tent and awning you choose may dictate which are options and which are not, as some have different mounting requirements. I'd choose the tent and awning first, and then figure out the best mounting option.

My set up is on roof bars. I chose this purely to keep weight down. It is not however a particularly good way to mount an AluCab awning, as it is designed to mount to a flat side. This required a workaround that whilst functional, is not ideal.

IMG_3169.JPG

On my first trip I left the group for the day to get an axle repaired. The group ended up stuck on a salt flat for 24 hours with the trucks leaning at various odd angles. They all complained when I caught them up that RTT's were not ideal and ground tents would have been better. Of course it was a very unusual situation

We kept the bedding in our Hannibal fold up roof tent when folded and I'm pretty sure the hinges are designed to leave some space for bedding. We mounted it on roof bars, with a FoxWing on the end of the bars which worked well. I've never had a roof tent mounted on a rack but watching others who have it looks like sometimes the rack can make it harder to get cover zips done up. Packing our Hannibal took a bit longer than the hard shell tents we've had but was a much nicer space to spend time in.

Hmmm, I'm taking this all in. :think: I may have a cunning plan forming. :eusa-shhh:

He's not going to dangle cheese from his nose is he?

Only when I've lost my hair Chas, possibly through chasing for things to be made. :laughing-rolling:

Last edited:
I have had a direct4x4 270 among on the 120. Just mount it on roof bars. The fox wing should go on exactly the same. And it will still leave you with enough space to mount the rtt. Note that the 120 is wider than the roof rails :) so you can ( have to? ) have the awning outside the rails, and still be inside the overall vehicle width.

I would highly recommend going out and getting having a real look see at some of this kit mounted up already on someone's trick ( need not be a 120 specifically ).

Not sure if this has been brought up already but also think through the weight over head.

Mine is a Safari on a full length roof rack. I bought the pair of them second hand and they work together well. I mirror Chris's comment about the zipper, it has been a RPITA! It has eventually failed, so I pull the cover over and use a ratchet strap around it to hold it down. Works well, I also have a three piece ladder which makes rack access easy. I plan to see if I can get a cover made with a drawstring or ratchet style closure system. Mine folds with the sleeping bag and pillows inside, but with the weak cover I move them into the vehicle during the day. If I could alter anything it would be to have the ladder enclosed, somewhere to drop off your muddy shoes.

This brings me to floor tents, it is either the bugs or the MUD, none of that with the RTT.

regards

Dave

Back