Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof top & trailer

Penny hydraulics do wind down legs but may prove a bit pricey.

Dogs travel in Truck, trailer is just for carrying stuff - cooker (s), fridge, boxes of clothes, food, car parts & spares, a bog (yeah I know) dog beds (yeah I know) water - tank to be installed, extra fuel, (outside) dogs sleep in truck or in oztent/ whatever we end up with. (they usually sleep with us) When we went to spain we didnt even have room for any goodies (wine, hams spanish hats & straw donkeys :(
This is a bit of overkill, but hey, I can get more cheap booze in it!

Right I think my mind has been made up - (thanks to my boss) We will sell new rooftent or swap it for an Oztent, anyone interested?

Now that looks pretty smart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

may have a buyer for the tent already! sending a deposit but cant get here till 16th :( still in UK next week so that works well :)

Roof tent sold! Nissan troll owner (French) picked it up this morning - he is off to Morocco Jan 1st 2017 with lots of chums. Did OK out of the deal and only lost 50€ postage! :) so, search is on for an Oztent RV2..................................

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nearly there with the trailer (not) - lots of non Nissan, Rotary club and other stickers gone and a few new ones added. Time to think about electrical and water system. I have a 12s extra caravan socket on the rear of the truck - do you think it will a good idea to run a multi core cable with plug from here to a power board in trailer? From there I could have a mains power with charger for the leisure battery (that will be fitted), power for the pump (water tank) etc. The front box will have a couple of gas bottles in - maybe I could get a gas water heater to keep the boss happier?

Lots of things to do :)

Oztent RV-2 arrived today - slides straight in the trailer down one side with about 12" spare!

Still slow going on the trailer :( However, managed to clean the last few years of storage grime from the shell, finishing with a polish :) Looks like new now, very pleased. However, there is some red African dust marks on the actual canvas - anybody ant tips on how to clean the canvas and get rid of the dust marks? Also, would it be a good idea to waterproof it and what would I use?

Managed some jobs on the trailer today - fitted tie down hooks to secure stuff from flying about when off roading - 2 gas bottle now nice and secure in front box.
20160501_115945.jpg
20160501_115952.jpg

Gas BBQ and Cooker fit nicely in the same box :)

Tie downs in the back for 6-8 storage boxes, fridge etc. Might change the direction of the boxes to allow the Chairs and Oztent to sit happily in the middle -
20160501_122751.jpg
20160501_122807.jpg

Even got wifey to clean the tent inside!

20160501_115924.jpg

I have a battery box & fuse board on order & went to the Car boot this morning and managed to grab some wire on reels :) to help to get everything working. I have 2 external 12v supply sockets for the light inside the tent and for phone chargers etc, wanted to fit them but only had a 22mm wood drill not a 26mm one :( - so thats for the next day off!

A bit of an update at last - been busy (ish) today - bit of work first thing and home to work on my trailer.
First, a replacement charge relay to keep battery and fridge on the go when towing:
103532-c2bf72decf3046ae23d4bf458ae074ae.jpg

plugged the lead in that will run form the truck to trailer to make sure electric was in the right place!
Thankfully all OK.
103533-1a7a6d4c1e345ad5a9fd06475e0a0121.jpg

Managed to finally order a water tank, pump and pressure thingy and work out where they are going.....(not in the pics below as it turns out!)

103534-4a5040444ad5c94c9fde02d9fff81c01.jpg

103535-8ebf09b14cd6faa1eeedaff7f5319103.jpg

We decided that we would mount the shower & water inlet on the other side, one each side of the spare tyre (no pics battery flat!)
To mount the shower and water inlet, I am waiting for a 70mm and 83mm hole saws.......

103536-c4a1a249b1057154deae227c9536b6bb.jpg

103537-dd742a3f83eb678056367a79958de31e.jpg

103538-cb5851849b4548a7bd4a2a09b4f32c9e.jpg

I have the flexible pipe, just waiting for the saws and we will be away!

Fitted the battery (its a new one I had lying around....) it has its own box, with lid.

103539-5f4dbcb99e027651efc91b3bc840e52f.jpg

and finally, I fitted a couple of 12v waterproof ciggy lighter sockets so we can plug in phones/light in the tent at night :)

103540-e41df4dc54dc19f94441ab499e2ca6dd.jpg

As I said, got to make some big holes, fix the tank down, and then wire everything up (waiting now for a switch bank so we can turn pump on and off, run fridge from trailer instead of truck, ) and one or two other bits and we should have the makings of a trailer we can live out of....just got to get some pennies together for a water heater as well.

20160703_112513.jpg 20160703_112547.jpg 20160703_113523.jpg 20160703_113618.jpg 20160703_114150.jpg 20160703_114221.jpg 20160703_114250.jpg 20160703_112600.jpg 20160703_113952.jpg

Last edited:
no idea why I have 2 of all the images above...sorry!

Looking good Steve. Was going to do some on mine this weekend but have hurt my back.

How are you going to switch the lights on and off in the tent?

There is a little interior light like wot is in the truck, with its own switch. Cable runs down, plugs into ciggy Lighter :) also, I now have a small solar panel, that will trickle charge the battery for when trailer is sat for weeks on end not doing very much - that will also plug straight into a ciggy lighter on the top :)

I am actually going to use it next Saturday night - we have a nights fishing planned at our lake, but I also have a shooting competition on Sunday morning at the rifle club! (its a military weapons only comp, so my CZ858 will get an airing!) but I will sleep at the lake for a few hours then hot foot it to the range.......thats the plan........

Sounds like a interesting weekend.

Not jealous at all.

Little update time - Used the rtt for the first time down at our lake last Saturday after lots and lots wine, food and fishing! I found it very comfy, no mozzies (plenty outside though!) and had a really good sleep apart from our version of Nessie splashing about.

Trailer

Carried on with the trailer this morning - fitted the lead from car to trailer to give full time supply for charging the trailer battery and smart switched supply for the fridge
cable.jpg

From the supply, the full time live) this goes into a 3 postion mains switch - 1 = charge battery, 2 = use battery in trailer (for when we are parked up) 3, 1 + 2 together - not sure when this will happen! and an off position.
elec and plub.jpg
From pos 2, the trailer battery, I have a fuse board, then switches for fridge, water pump, aux and a ciggy lighter. There are also 2 ciggy lighter sockets on the roof of the trailer so we can charge phones/ have light in tent. Scuse the untidyness, I am waiting for a replacement neutral block (I managed to lose the first one!) Once in I can fit it and tidy every thing up.

As you can see, the pump (black) has a 'ballon' (French) the blue thing ...I think its an accumulator? - anyhow, this will be ideal for the shower head, as it has a on off valve, so as soon as the ballon uses water, the pump kicks in to keep up the pressure. We will get a instantanious water heater when I can find some extra cash, so we can wash and wash up with hot water!

I also fitted the water inlet fitting and shower head fitting - involved cutting a hole of 83mm and 70mm - had some fun finding hole saws and abor to match!

water shower.jpg

Just got to buy a 21mm drill so I can drill out the water tank outlet, fit the water tank and pipe work, and the neutrals, and we 'should' have a working water system and electrical supply!

oh, I nearly forgot ...who came first in the full bore, semi automatic class at the shooting club last week! Yay, me a first out of 3 though lol

We are racing along now!
Finished off the electrics today, fitted pump, accumulator, pipe work , shower, and a couple of LED strip lights so we can see whats going on in the back of the trailer when its dark! Everything seems to work, even the fridge fired up on demand :) and there are no leaks! Now got my little solar panel on to keep battery topped up whilst no in use :)

shower_edited.jpg
light_edited.jpg
water_edited.jpg
solar (2)_edited.jpg
shower_edited.jpg
light_edited.jpg
water_edited.jpg

Reactions: Sag
Just caught up with this and i'm liking what you have done regarding power and water Steve , i would like the same set up but don't know where to begin , a second battery and split charge on my truck is the first step i guess .

While reading up on how to fry myself with 12v i found this which may interest you Steve
https://www.etrailer.com/p-TR118665.html

Last edited:
Thanks for those kind words :) I just hope it actually works when we are away....T minus 8 days.......... :)

I have a similar thing under the bonnet a caravan relay - essentially, it wont let leccy through to trailer until the (both) battery (s) have fully charged on the truck - once ignition is off, a few seconds later, relay drops out cutting supplies to the trailer - it also gives me 3 feeds - fridge, charge and another.

Hi Steve,
Your adventure trailer looks great!
Btw keep an eye on the blue accumulator. Mine always leaks a few drops and I put a small towel under it. It could be its age, it has been on a daily service for 5 months.
Regards,
Wout

Back