Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roughtrax 30mm wheel spacers on my 95....

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
I finally got around to fitting the 30mm wheel spacers I bought from Roughtrax before Xmas... :roll:

(Apologies in advance for the lack of technical jargon.... :oops: )

The rears were fine, the spacer's nuts, the stud face and the spacer face were all pretty much flush. i.e. all of the thread on the spacer nut and stud were "mated".

However on the front the studs seem to be a tad shorter, so when I did the spacer's nut up, they seemed only "half" on the stud - see pics below, though I haven't fully torqued them in the pics, so maybe another 1/2 turn to go max.

Landcruiserwheelspacersmall.jpg

Landcruiserwheelspacer002small.jpg

Landcruiserwheelspacer004small.jpg

Just didn't seem right to me??? :?

Any advice would be appreciated. :thumbup:

that looks like it might come apart on a corner? You need 3 turns to protrude past the nut.

Thanks guys - that's what I thought. The truck is not going anywhere until I either remove the spacers or resolve this issue.

Just did a search and it seems Nick (Big Clean Green) also experienced this problem!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7442

So it looks like it may be luck of the draw whether you need extended studs on the front or not. As some others seem to have the same length front and rear. :?

Non taper fit nuts = nasty cheapness I'd be returning them.

The reason all wheelnuts & wheel bolts use taper nuts (Group A type ones excepted) is to transfer the vertical load to the horizontal & spread load onto the surface of the wheel face. The loading on the wheel studs will be massive, epic design fail imho. They will also never centre properly so you'll suffer vertical wheel wobbles.

I bought the roughtrax ones 7 years ago and had no problem with them. They were also 30mm.

I have a 1997 colorado long wheel base and from memory I am certain that all the studs are exactly the same length. Why would toyota vary them??? It doesn't make sense.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cptsideways said:
Non taper fit nuts = nasty cheapness I'd be returning them......

The nuts are tapered on one end - what you see in the pics is the non-tapered end (or at least that is how I fitted them, with the tapered end into the spacer).

:? :? :?

Yes, they are tapered and yes, Nick and I had exactly this problem. Took some sorting too I can tell you. From memory, I think that we found that the studs weren't actually shorter. I had the same spacers and fitted them to Lil Blue no problem at all.

Is yours an import - as Nick's was. We wondered if it had thicker brakes discs or something due to it having an intercooler. In the end Nick sourced some longer studs but it was a pain.

Chris

Thanks for the confirmation Chris. Mine's a UK model not an import.

Since you mentioned thicker brake discs, I seem to vaguely recall that the V6 Auto *may* have different front disks to the 3.0TD diesel......presumably this will affect the OEM alloys (without spacers) as much as is does the spacers themselves? I'm starting to worry that they may not be fixed securely? :? The car has been running like this for several years now, the last time the front brakes discs were changed was in 2008, nearly 40k ago.

How difficult is it to change the studs? If it's a major hassle I might just sell the spacers and look out for some 80 rims that'll give the "correct" offset I'm after.

Oh well, rather deflated - there I was thinking I'd start on something simple! :( :roll:

mine is a uk V6 and mine are spot on, thread is almost to the end of the nut

Changing a stud is not that hard in the scheme of things, it was getting the right length that too some doing. And the right diameter / splines etc.

Odd that it's a UK model and it doesn't fit. Have you used your VIN number in TOYO and done a search on the studs to see if they're different at all?

As I said, I do seem to remember that the studs were the same length and it was something else that made the difference.

Chris.

80 wheels do look tops on a 90.

Perhaps take a run down to a local machine shop, and ask them to skim off the back face, until presumably, the other mounting stud heads are flush wit hthe new skimmed face, or along them lines?

Looks like you need 5mm or so extra on the studs, or less thickness for the studs to pass through.

Or maybe that would make the rear the rear mounting thickness to weak?

Gra.

Back