Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Running on cooking oil

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
My old 90 series I has running on cooking oil worked perfectly.
I now have a 55 plate 120 and was wondering if the 120 could run on clean cooking oil.
Has anyone tried this and what was the outcome.
I'm not talking about used filtered cooking oil but clean from the shop.
As I stated above my 90 series run perfectly on it but was an older engine.
Just an idea to save money and queuing up in fuel stations

I'm not a expert, but I would worry about the injectors.

@Trevor may have tried this.....

Just watching clips on YouTube and people with new and old cars running on cooking oil with no problems.
The way to go is to convert to bio fuel and consists of diesel and cooking oil .
I'm pretty sure someone on here has tried this method with out conversation and what was the outcome.

I've not played with that on the 120, not convinced the pump and injectors would like it. Would be interested in hearing from a 120 owner who's had success.

I read somewhere that, unlike the older tech engines, most "modern" diesels use much higher injection pressures, to aid emissions, which doesn't work well with raw veg oil? If the oil is refined into proper bio diesel by removal of the glycerine then that might be OK.

It would be good if the 120 run on cooking oil as will be a big bonus as fuel prices at the moment are so high.:techie-hal:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Homebrew bio put my uncles Hilux out of duty for over a year , desperation sent him to Toyota's worst dealer (Isle of Man) and they couldn't diagnose it either . Back street garage unqualified mate finally got it up and running again .

Not sure what engine but i'm gonna guess it was a 7th generation Hilux .

@Graham has put looks through the 120 if I remember right?

IF bio is made correctly most motors will run better on it than pump derv

Some years ago, when there was a spike in pump fuel prices, I started running the 80 on bio diesel produced by a local company and it did run fine. Initially the bio stuff looked clear, sort of Pale Ale colour but then as demand increased I noticed it started to look like milky tea. Shortly after I suffered a blocked fuel filter. A new filter and I was good to go but I went back to pump DERV. I gather some even older diesel engines run OK with veg oil straight in the tank if started and warmed up on pump diesel. Shame they won't run on beef dripping, the smell would be delicious! :icon-biggrin:

Old diesels seem to cope very well with cooking oil.
My 90 series run 100% on cooking oil but was clean not filtered.
Cost me at the time £38 to fill my tank from Chinese wholesale about 5 yrs ago now.
I see a lot of people buying old cars and running on cooking oil and some newish cars but you never get to see long term.

Been reading about it this morning and i reckon if i had the space and inclination i'd make my own so quality wasn't an issue - new veg oil + kerosene .

I was quite surprised to find a good number of private industrial fuel suppliers offering bio which lends confidence but then i was horrified to learn while in a commercial fishing boat hunting red diesel in a very large and busy commercial port nobody could offer less than 2000 litres :wtf:

I ended up ordering 600 litres delivered from 70 miles away which of course made it the most expensive red diesel i ever put in my boat .

I'm always on the lookout for a small-scale bio supplier but there seems to be vanishingly few left out there. There is a pump near me in Rotherham that I used to use from time to time. The quality and service was very good but I can't get to it during the week and they're not interested in delivering. Also it's shot up to £1.50/l recently.

There's quite a few processor kits on Marketplace so I might have to get a shed and have a go at making my own.

We're driving to Sweden later this year where there seems to be a network of B100 filling stations. Can't seem to find any indication of price though.

I tried using vegetable oil in my 120 a few years ago when it was cheaper.
Never noticed any difference in performance or mpg and obviously much cheaper than diesel, never had any issues but the price of cooking oil then shot up and I got worried about causing problems, so I started using diesel again.
Lovely smell tho'

My friend owns a fish and chip shop so he runs his Hilux on the old cooking oil, now that smells amazing...

Well since I started this topic would only be right me doing research.
I have some information regarding my topic as spoken to a friend who is an expert on diesel engines.
He told me not to even go near cooking oil in my 120 as will damage my engine.
So he has answered my topic question and hopefully can close this topic.
So anyone who is thinking of doing this please don't on this generation of land cruiser.

Many thanks for all your replies and information you have given me .:text-goodpost:

If you buy a landcruiser 90 series you can run on vegetable oil all day and drives perfect.

This was my old one and loved it.

Attachments

• IMG-20200915-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200915-WA0003.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 10
As a rule of thumb....if it has a mechanical fuel injection pump it will run OK on clean veg oil , although your fuel filters will need changing more often as the veg oil tends to scrub the inside of all your fuel lines of any debris . Many fit a second tank and start on diesel and switch over to veg when the engine is warm .

If it has common rail it will run on 100% bio diesel but that will have implications like shorter engine oil change intervals and to be safe you probably want to fit a decent water trap in the fuel system line before the filter and keep it drained as bio diesel and veg oil are hydroscopic in the same way as old brake fluid was and will absorb water from condensation in your tank .

My point of view is unless the veg oil or bio is free the risks and hassle factor outweigh any benefit.... especially when you look at the cost of pumps and injectors on a common rail system .
As is well known Toyota electronic injectors are pretty frail even running on EN590 .

Back