Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Running rough

2toyotas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi, I've noticed my 120 d4d is running little rough while driving with the revs below 1800, you can feel it through the car and a pitch sound In the cabin, can't hear anything from outside, engine is smooth after 1800 revs, drives like nothing is wrong, any ideas experts

Hey 2toyotas,

I have the same issue with mine, maybe they just are like that. Then again it is a very old machine I bet there is a drive chain issue. I have yet to get it inspected.

Should be noted i'm not saying that is the problem i just thought its something you both should be aware of .

With a somewhat rough running engine, I have cleaned out the MAF sensor, new fuel filter, changed the scv and *gulp* new injectors. It runs like a dream now.

Egr is another thing I have been considering cleaning out, but maybe in better weather and when we can have the 120 out of action for a few days.

Hi Shayne,

I think op was talking about a buzzing from the drive train at certain revs when accelerating. Have you ever heard of that happening in a J120.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's not just the air box rattling is it?

:text-+1: GoK

First time i heard of the 120's air box rattle the poor fella had replaced injectors and all sorts in frustration only to eventually discover what was needed was a bit of silicone sealant where the air box passes through the wing .

That is interesting, I'd like to know more about this air box and how to get to it. The dog is having a hard time with it because it can be quite loud. I dropped a message in the maintenance chat but the guy with the manual hasn't got back to me.

Air box is under the bonnet on the left as you look at the engine - its where your air filter goes

Take a look at this thread

I still don't think that't it as my sound seems to be coming from behind but sound do be bouncing around so I'll have a good look at the box as mentioned above and see if it could be the culprit.

Back