Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rusted rear body mounts - bloody land cruiser!

Paulsven

Country Flag
great_britain
Ok so I've been having a poke and prod around and just found the rear body/chassis mounts are rusted through on the vertical supports! Instant MOT failure I presume!

How easy is it to lift the body clean off the chassis, or at least high enough to get a welder in there. I assume I won't be lucky enough to just jack the back up only! I've looked at a few of the body lift threads but I think I'll need to go a lot higher or body completely off to undertake this task?

I also assume if I could get it to a welding/body shop it's going to cost the earth for them to do it.

Any ideas anyone? My current idea is get rid of the blooming thing and buy a Pajero!

I'm not sure where the mounts are on a 4 door but my swb has a 40mm body lift and i can't see any reason they couldn't be welded if the need arose without removing anything , though i would likely take off the rear arch and bumper just to be polite .

On my old shorty there was plenty of access when replacing the rear mounts but it did have a body lift.

If you need the body lifted some to get access I imagine you'll get away with only undoing the 2 rearmost mounts and at a push the next 2 down.

You should be able to get a scissor jack between the body and chassis.

Is this the same truck that had the engine problems :icon-surprised:

STOP PRESS!!

sorry I am a bit late but it is so much easier to lift the body off the chassis. I have now done a handful this way and all the little jobs can be done at the same time. Lifting off can be done with a bunch of strong 6x2 timbers, 44 drums and a couple of hi lift jacks. I have done this because I have had 3 cars have cracked the top LHR spring mount from the chassis
Steve

Back