Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rusty number plate light unit

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
As you can see, rust has become a permanent resident above the number plate
A2D9CB88-08A2-455B-AFDE-4E4A45D1D20D.jpeg

It started just 2 weeks after fitting it from brand new. Couldnt be arsed to polish it every 3 days.

Have now sanded off the rust.
4492C8AD-CB5C-4E23-B383-267B2E970B80.jpeg

What are the options:
Paint it or rechrome it?
Has anyone dealt with this before?

As you can see, rust has become a permanent resident above the number plate
View attachment 145216

It started just 2 weeks after fitting it from brand new. Couldnt be arsed to polish it every 3 days.

Have now sanded off the rust.
View attachment 145217

What are the options:
Paint it or rechrome it?
Has anyone dealt with this before?

Yes they rust for fun. I've had a couple pass through which had been painted body colour and looked very acceptable, just etch prime first.

Yes they rust for fun. I've had a couple pass through which had been painted body colour and looked very acceptable, just etch prime first.
Thats what i was thinking Andy. Will try to sand it all over then etch prime a couple of coats then possibly body colour or satin black.
Will try to keep the toyota lettering silver

I was immensely pissed off when mine went the same way, how is it the original lasted 20years, but the genuine Toyota replacement started rusting after 2 years of minimal usage

Thats what i was thinking Andy. Will try to sand it all over then etch prime a couple of coats then possibly body colour or satin black.
Will try to keep the toyota lettering silver
I did my headlight surrounds like that and they came out pretty well

I was immensely pissed off when mine went the same way, how is it the original lasted 20years, but the genuine Toyota replacement started rusting after 2 years of minimal usage
Me too moggy. I guess the accountants must have intervened somewhere along the line and the quality slipped. Typical.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Black to match the bumper then send the badge to Neo Graphix (if the guy is still on ebay) tell him you want a bubble sticker the same .

ffb6d996-585c-42ce-8e0a-c74fb54449a4

These have been on my truck at least 5 years and i never even think about them when i'm using the power washer .

Forget pics I HATE WINDOWS 10 !

Last edited:
Etch primer applied - leaving it to dry for 24 hrs now....

4D35CC75-5F9E-4C8B-BDD9-786EB5D6E5D8.jpeg

Its going to be body colour Andy which is Toyota 153.
Not sure if thats Tempest grey, is it?
Not looking forward to hand painting the black around the silver toyota lettering but will try to do a good job

DSCF3027.JPG
Its going to be body colour Andy which is Toyota 153.
Not sure if thats Tempest grey, is it?
Not looking forward to hand painting the black around the silver toyota lettering but will try to do a good job
Handwrote my grill and it came out ok, just take your time. Did it the same time I painted my knackered old light surrounds as over 200 euros each seemed a bit steep. Not got a good close up but here you go.

Ahaha!! found some better pics. I did use frog tape to mask off the letters.
FullSizeRender (96).jpg
FullSizeRender (98).jpg
FullSizeRender (99).jpg

Ok so the final colour coat has been applied. When dry, I believe i should sand with 1200 grit wet and dry paper then laquer, is this the right thing to do? All advice gratefully received.

Depends what paint you used i regretted using laquer on my bonnet scoop

Its cellulose shayne,
It came with the paint.
The paint on the car looks like it was laquered, just not sure if the paint needs sanding before laquer or not and whether the finished laquer coat needs a fine sand and polish or just leave it alone?

Well its not advice because i've never had any luck with laquer and i never tested the advice i was given by an old school little paint mixing shop who said i should key using finishing pads , they are like the mild scourers you get on dish washing sponges , Halford's sell them but don't blame me if it goes wrong :)

Thanks Shayne,
I too have never had great results with lacquer but have never tried so hard to get the prep right and take my time.
The final colour coat looks really good and smooth so far

Then personally i'd quit while i'm ahead , too many times i didn't because i was trying to do things right and regretted it .

I was thinking the same shayne. In that case i will give it a polish and see hiw it looks

Back