Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Saffas - Lesotho Blanket run

Not wanting to harp on about this but we have reached £360 to date :thumbup:

If anyone wants to donate to the cause then do post here as I will need to make payment sometime end of this week, beginning of next.

As it stands it looks like the easiest thing to do is for the club to run my cc and you pay me individually. I’ll keep you posted.

A blanket is going to cost R37 or just over £3 this year and will keep a child warm over the winter months in what is a barren and cold place.

We will be making the donation in the name of the club, if the club does not mind, as I feel it’s the right thing to do.

10 blankets for me pls.

Pm me details of how to repay you.

Pete

:thumbup:

Pm to follow in the next couple of days.

Just to update the SA Landcruiser club has collected enough funds for just over 200 blankets with out our donation.

With Pete's donation we will be contributing 126 extra blankets to take the toll to just under 350.

:dance:

Many thanks to all who have come to the party to date.

Last call for anyone who would like to make a contribution. We are sitting just under £400 and I need to make the payment tonight.

I will send all those who have offered to make a contribution tonight with my bank details so you can pay me back.

Will post with the final figures later tonight.

Many thanks to all those involved and I will ask the LCCSA to send us link to the report or post the report here for us to read.

Sorry - missed all this. Put me in for £20 please.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right

Total of £380 collected.

Topped up to an even £400 has been donated to the LCCA blanket run from the club. Thanks to all again for their support and generosity, I have asked for the trip report to be made available to us when it’s posted.

I will send PM tonight to those who can then pay their money into my account.

Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not the official report as people only returned home late today but pictures are starting to roll in.

Guy Boardman said:
7133280701_f6738c4771_z.jpg

STUNNING LESOTHO

7133274635_55f1c170a8_z.jpg

PETER ZIETSMAN - PERFECT ARRANGEMENTS

6987193874_9bb9f366b2_z.jpg

1.... 2..... 3

6987188772_c148af33a1_z.jpg

ELSA, WITH A GROUP NEXT TO THE ROAD TO WHOM WE HANDED OUT BLANKETS

6987196010_4669600c82_z.jpg

MAMA JANE ZIETSMAN AND A HAPPY OLD LADY, HAVING JUST RECEIVED SOME WINTER WARMTH

7133279697_5fa398fcb3_z.jpg

THE GROUP AT THE ORPHANAGE

6987195646_bdfdcd318b_z.jpg

THE BLANKET DROP FORCED YOU TO RE-EXAMINE YOUR OWN HUMANITY

6987188540_41f781f142_z.jpg

THE MEN HANDING OUT BLANKETS TO ORPHANED CHILDERN AT A SCHOOL

6987197784_ee9a75f214_z.jpg

ALONG THE ROAD - HANDING OUT BLANKETS TO LITTLE CHILDREN. MARIE SLABBER ARRANGED COLOURFUL BEANIES WHICH LEAD TO LOTS OF SMILING FACES

7133283223_2758d58a89_z.jpg

THE BLANKET HANDOUT AT A CRECHE

6987198038_5574e31c20_z.jpg

THE FURNITURE AT THE CRECHE - MADE FROM ALUMINIUM CANS

6987196780_1769cc1665_z.jpg

NOT MANY PEOPLE CAN STATE THAT THEY HAVE CELEBRATED THEIR BIRTHDAY IN A REAL SHEBEEN. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROLAND

7133281077_cb7188a66b_z.jpg

ONE OF THE LOCALS EVEN BURST OUT SINGING - "LANK SAL HY LEWE"

6987198278_d252a0577d_z.jpg

LEBA PASS - LESOTHO STYLE

7133283167_ecf79fd253_z.jpg

MORE - LEBA PASS.

It was a great and humbling experience, done in great spirit, travelling with wonderful people, in an area that really needed the help.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Dave Moore said:
Got home safely at around 7 pm. What a drive! The car went beautifully and I had a great weekend. Thanks to everyone who was involved with organising.
Peter, you did a great job. Thank you.
Will post pics when we get a trip report going.
Christiaan Kotze said:
What can I say more! A well planned trip which was executed perfectly!!! I want to thank every-one who orgenised it and and attended it. We really enjoyed it! :wink:
Thanks
Trevor Ferguson said:
Thanks to Peter and everyone else who helped organise and attend the trip. It was a fantastic & well organised trip. All of us thoroughly enjoyed it, and the family are already asking when the next one is. :D
Peter Zietsman said:
A very big thank you to all that attended this event and all those that donated blankets. A total of 615 blankets were donated, a great achievement. The bulk of these were distributed and the balance will be distributed to a needy facility in the Gauteng region at a future date by the members of the club.

You all contributed to make the event the success it was. Once again the LCCSA spirit shines through bright and clear.

We are busy sorting out a proper event feedback and this will be put up on the forum as soon as possible.
Doug Fear said:
What a fantastic trip! Well done Peter for superb organisation with a really relaxed feel at the same time. We had a blast and I am sure that your target of 1000 blankets next year will easily be met. I think your biggest problem is going to be the number of cars wanting to attend next year's drive.

You can count me in for the next one. Thank you very much, it was one to remember!
James Collett said:
An excellent trip with great people, scenery and a good cause. We really enjoyed it thanks to Peter and other organizes plus sponsors who without, this good cause would not have been possible.
Andre Wehmeyer said:
Got back just after 12.,30 last night, lots o traffic due to stop n go @ Kokstad, rain, mist and wind. Thanks again to all involved for organising and 'Gees' Just got back from docs and am learning to type again without that piece on my working arm! Happiness!!
John Thomé said:
Thanks to everyone for a truly wonderful trip and great company. Peter for the excellent organisation and sharing of your deep knowledge, and to Guy for bringing up the rear and presiding over the court proceedings! :thumleft:

The Lesotho mountain passes and scenery are simply breathtaking.

Always good to catch up with old friends and to meet new.
Some pics to follow - will move to TR later.
John Thomé said:

Dave Moore said:
rr8biv.jpg

Going up Ongeluksnek

27xgtuv.jpg

Not only kids received ( or need ) blankets

ixzdjd.jpg

If you promise you will swim then you need to keep it........

voaplz.jpg

Jakes and Collette

29wonee.jpg

2zyzqq9.jpg

Lesotho Aloe - only grows above 1700m

vwr681.jpg

Roland enjoying his birthday with the locals

261neh5.jpg

nvth75.jpg

Father Christmas making an early appearance for this little guy

2i8g3lh.jpg

Running repairs on the caravan. Nice to have so many competent members on board.

20thv21.jpg

Two happy kids on the way to Sani

voy9du.jpg

Top of Sani Pass.

Thanks to all. I met some great people. Our paths will cross again I am sure.
Looking forward to Saamtrek now.....
Wade Bowman said:
What a fantastic trip!!!

Well done Peter for putting together an awesome trip, and leading us through a magnificent country. For all the planning, infomation and organizing and the collecting and distribution of the blankets - cheers to you on a job well done!

To Tony for organizing the blankets.

To Guy for bringing up the rear and ensuring we all got to our destinations safely. Also the thankless task of ensuring that strict disipline was enforced, and that any missconduct was delt with swiftly and fairly and administering the correct amount of punishment to the said offenders.

To Des - sorry you missed out, but a huge thanks for the supply of fire wood. We never ran out.

To Dave for organizing the shirts, and for taking orders even after the fact.

And to all the other club members and families that helped make this a really special event - a huge thank you!

We had an awesome time!!!

Being in a beautiful country and having the privilege to share this experience with great people and fellow members was only topped by being able to bring so many smiles to the children of Lesotho. For me this was a truely moving experience that can only be expressed in smiles of those kids.

We had an awesome time - from the start of the diesel fumes in the morning to the late night (ealry morning?), laugher, shouting and singing, we enjoyed every last drop. and where such acts kept some from their beauty sleep, please accept my humble appologies

Again, a huge thank you to all for making this an awesome experience. I am truely proud to be a part of a fantastic club.

I hope no one minds me updating this thread as I have been doing as it might only apeal to a few of the members here but I just wanted to keep you all in the loop.

Official Day 1 report:
Peter Zietsman said:
LCCSA Blanket Drop 2012

Event report day One

To begin with, a round of applause needs to be given to a few people:
Firstly, Tony van Niekerk, who not only organized the blankets at a good price, but who also got into his Cruiser and collected the Blankets from the Factory at Mandeni and then delivered them to my office. Those of you who tried to squeeze 25 blankets into their cruisers know how much space they take; Tony had 400 blankets on, in and behind his Cruiser! Great Job Tony, your efforts are much appreciated!

Secondly, to all the people who organized donations of blankets or donated funds to buy the blankets, thank you! We eventually had 615 blankets to hand out. There are too many folk to mention here but I need to offer a special word of thanks to the members of the European Land Cruiser Club who raised funds which purchased a pile blankets! Thanks so much guys! One day you will have to join us on a trip in the wilds of Africa!To Dave Moore, who organized the purchase of the shirts for the trip, Thanks Dave the shirts are great.

Then finally, to all the people who gave up their time to travel around Lesotho handing out the blankets. Your reward in seeing what a just a blanket means to somebody who has very little is the only repayment we can give you. You all made sure the event was full of fun and a rewarding and a pleasure filled trip to be on.

We eventually ended up with 21 vehicles, 1 caravan and 55 Men, Women and the very special LCCSA “kids”. This event is definitely a family affair, and having these special kids with the group makes it a very festive affair.

6__lccsa_kids__1024x683_.jpe

Besides the kids we had our own “professional party people” with us, and they ensured that there was lots of laughter and fun around the camp fires until late every evening.

There was a pre meeting of said “professional party people” at Midmar on Thursday night but that story is for them to tell!!

The bulk of the crews got together on Friday morning at the Merrivale turnoff just outside Howick, and our convoy of 17 Cruisers departed just after 8am, led by the two 60 Series driven by Dave Moore and John Thome.

1__meeting_at_merrivale__1024x440_.jpe

It was a wonderful sight to see a string of Cruisers driving along those Southern Drakensberg roads lined by the autumn trees.

autumn_trees.jpe

Of course there are always a few dramas at the start of every event, and ours started a 7am, with a phone call from Doug Fear.
Doug: “Where are you Natal boys? I am here at the meeting point and there is nobody here.”
Me: “Doug it is only 7am, we are meeting at 8am" Doug: “#$@%#, I could have left at 3 instead of 2 this morning.” OOOPS!!

A quick purchase of medicinal sherry in Underberg and we headed out for Matatiele, where we met up with the rest of the crews at the Caravan Park.

Soon after a brief stop, 21 Cruisers were heading up Ongeluksnek Pass. Not nearly as rough and hectic as we were expecting based on our previous trips down it, the road was still a great deal of fun, winding up ahead of us as we negotiated our way slowly to the Border Post while enjoying the scenery unfolding around us.

img_8572__1024x683_.jpe

The officials at the Border Post could not believe their eyes. It is normal for them to see 5 vehicles a month. Can you imagine their surprise when 21 vehicles arrived all at one! Rush hour of note!!

11___1024x683_.jpe

10__rushhour_at_the_border_post__1024x683_.jpe

14__up_to_the_lake_ongeluksnek__1024x683_.jpe

Our first night’s camp was a bush camp around the lake at the top of the pass and this turned out to be a very cold affair with the wind howling and the temperature dropping to below zero.

team_talk.jpe

team_talk2.jpe

tannie_elsa__2_.jpe

Even at these temperatures Wade and Jaun decided to go for a late dip in the lake, which resulted in 2 very cold bodies around the camp fire.
The KZN traditional court session was held with lots of laughter and ending with the Land Rover Cap being awarded to Adrian for denting the rim of his caravan.

End of day one

Peter Zietsman said:
Event report day 2

After a magnificent sunrise,

1__sunrise_over_the_lake__1024x683_.jpe

we packed up camp and drove to Mphaki, to hand over blankets to a local volunteer group looking after orphans and under privileged kids.

3__img_8552__1024x683_.jpe

40 blankets were handed out here.

4___1024x683_.jpe

After this we then debated our next route, the short way on the tar or the long way on the dirt, guess which won! “Tar Sucks”

img_5216__1024x683_.jpe

After a great drive along some winding roads and mountain passes,
handing out blankets as we drove,

img_4888__1024x683_.jpe

img_5039__1024x683_.jpe

img_8629__1024x683_.jpe

we arrived at Pulane Children’s Centre where we met with Mejeanette, and Vera, a Brazilian volunteer, who look after the home. Here we handed out blankets to the little children and Pensioners. A very sobering moment happened when I asked why one of the names on the paper was crossed off. The reply:” I am sorry but she died yesterday”.
Life is indeed very fragile in these areas.

The kids of Pulane
img_8642__1024x683_.jpe

This photo says it all, Guy Boardman speechless and full of emotion.
img_8670__1024x683_.jpe

The LCCSA gang and some happy kids
img_8678__1024x683_.jpe

At this venue we broke our rule and also gave blankets to pensioners as they are suffering as much as the kids they are looking out for.

Driving along the valley roads with a bit of speed trying to get to Mt Moroosi campsite before it was dark
img_8724__1024x683_.jpe

where we camped for the night, taking over the entire lodge and its property with our hordes.
img_8732__1024x683_.jpe

Some of the “softer” members were thrilled at the option of a cottage after the freezing of the night before, but we were ALL thrilled at the option of a hot shower!

Much hilarity again at the campfire with Oupa Jan Slabber being awarded the Landrover cap. We had to manufacture a charge as nothing had go wrong that day and he just happened to be walking past when Guy and I were discussing it, so he was chosen.

Wade had to swear an oath to give up he previous evil ways and join the Club as soon as we returned home(He has kept to his promise :cheers:

img_8734__1024x683_.jpe

And so ends Day 2 of the trip, more to follow, watch this space.

A kiddies name crossed off the list because she'd died, thats heartbreaking.

I would dearly love to take part in this.

For next year, how about using something like Just Giving, costs about 5% but may simplify things.

Regards

Pete

Ps the cash should have appeared in your account, paid in in Bridgwater.

Peter Zietsman said:
Event report day 3
Before we could leave CM had to let of some steam after a heavy night.
img_8760__1024x683_.jpe

Sunday morning saw us leaving Mt Moroosi and while driving through more beautiful countryside we all celebrated Roland’s birthday with lots of singing and fun over the radios. What a magnificent place to celebrate one’s birthday!!

img_8790__1024x683_.jpe

Our sand roads became tar on the way to Malealea Lodge which we saw for the first time when the convoy crested the hill and drove through the gates of Paradise. What a view!

img_8794__1024x683_.jpe

img_8800__1024x683_.jpe

After setting up camp at Malealea Lodge we then met Marion who runs the Malealea Trust. She had selected 40 needy kids in the area and our LCCSA kids once again did a wonderful job of handing out the blankets.

img_8809__1024x683_.jpe

img_8814__1024x683_.jpe

There were a few other children and very old ladies watching us on the sidelines, and after Elsa decided she could not say no to these folk we handed out a whole lot more.

img_8830__1024x683_.jpe

It is very hard when faced with so much need to try to stick to the plan.

Soon after this we were all seen visiting the local Shebeen to purchase the local “Maluti” beer, and some of the locals joined in to celebrate Roland’s Birthday, one of whom even sang to him in Afrikaans!

img_8844__1024x683_.jpe

Dinner at the Lodge was a wonderful spread of T-bones and salads, and soon afterwards the nightly court was “Called to Order” by the Presiding Judge, the Honorable …Jou Honor Guy Boardman. These nightly court cases always provided a lot of laughter and kidding, and were enjoyed by all, even the accused. Juan was awarded the Landrover cap for sins which cannot be mentioned on open air!!!!

Squeezed into Campsite at Malaelae
img_8876__1024x683_.jpe

The hilarity continued long into the night, but soon, except for a very irritating dog, the campsite was once again quiet.

Peter Zietsman said:
Day 4

Monday morning saw Greg and Jane Courtney, Doug Fear and Alan, and John and Jonathan Thome, leave for home.

After a short delay, whilst we waited for Peter, a missionary working in the area, our 18 strong convoy headed for our next drop-off point:

img_8886__1024x683_.jpe

Botsoela Pre- school. Meeting the teachers in their small but tidy classroom was a wonderful experience. All of us, but particularly the teachers in our group, were amazed at what little they had to work with. The school desks and chairs where constructed from various beverage cans, which had been securely wired together, with a wooden top.

img_8891a__1024x773_.jpe

Posters of nursery rhymes, stories, counting pictures, and prayers adorned the clean painted walls. Outside, vegetable gardens had been built, and every attempt was being made to look after the kids, with very few resources. It really makes one appreciate what our own kids have at home. It also opened our eyes as to other ways we can help.

img_8911__1024x683_.jpe

We handed out the 40 blankets that had been allocated to these young children, who afterward stood together and sang in Sotho for us, and then recited the Lord’s Prayer in English!! It was hard to leave this little community without emptying our trucks to help a little more.

img_8900__1024x683_.jpe

once again we took to the roads and another mountain pass

img_8917__1024x683_.jpe

Our next stop was Sebelekoane School. Here, out of a total headcount of over 700 pupils, the headmistress had identified 42 very vulnerable orphans, of varying ages and who had lost both parents, to receive blankets. What was amazing was the discipline: a single instruction from the teacher and ALL the kids, neatly dressed in uniform, had lined up and were waiting patiently, whilst the names of the selected 42 were called out.

img_8925__1024x683_.jpe

These kids then came forward in an organised fashion and received their blankets from the LCCSA men.
img_8930__1024x683_.jpe

Jakes
img_8960__683x1024_.jpe

Jan
img_8965__683x1024_.jpe

They were most grateful and our men most humbled. The children of many of our schools, much more fortunate than they, could have learnt a whole lot about good manners and discipline from these learners.

img_8975__1024x683_.jpe

We were then treated to a few songs by the entire school, the harmonies of which were so intrinsically African and wonderful to listen to. One of our kids recorded it and spent the next half an hour listening to the melodies over and over again on his mom’s cell phone!

Soon we were on the road again for the 165km journey to our next overnight stop at the campsite at Marakabei Lodge. After a quick lunch stop on the side of the road we hit the tar, and Roland and Petra Bergh took their leave of us.

The first real drama of the trip took place at Bushman’s pass. Because the brakes of the Caravan were not working properly Adrian’s Cruiser’s brakes failed on the descent. He managed to bring the Cruiser to a halt with some very skillful driving. With a few mountains still to negotiate, we split the convoy up, with 2 vehicles staying behind to assist Adrian with a slow, low-range descent of the remaining passes.

img_9008__683x1024_.jpe

The rest of the convoy headed for Marakabei Lodge to set up camp and organise facilities for the late-comers. With pooled resources, dinner was organised for the back-up team, but none of us were more grateful than Lorraine Flack for a large tub of hot water to bath her baby who had spent a very long day in the car.

img_9014__683x1024_.jpe

Within half an hour of arrival, the boys of the LCCSA, lead by Wade Bowman, had begun to strip and repair the caravan’s braking system. The teamwork and camaraderie in this type of situation is what this club is really all about. Soon the job was done, and Adrian and Lorraine were able to relax!
Once more the festivities around the campfire were enjoyed by all. Initially Adrian was again nominated for the Landrover cap, but his very skilful driving and handling of his rig redeemed himself and he was unanimously pardoned! The Presiding Officer HIMSELF, “Jou Honour Mr. Boardman” was instantly voted as the next recipient. It was he himself who had to admit to attempting to roll-start his vehicle without the ignition being switched on!!!!!!

Peter Zietsman said:
Day 5

The early part of the last day of the event was a casual drive along the mountain roads of Lesotho enjoying the spectacular scenery around us. At Thaba Tseka, Jakes and Collette Oosthuizen, CM and Susan Kotze, and Jan and Marie Slabber left the convoy to travel home via Katse Dam.

img_9038__1024x683_.jpe

5 more vehicles, viz: Trevor and Sharon Ferguson, Ben and Rika Laing, Hennie and Ester Willemse, Otto and Marguerite Nel, Dave Moore, Richard Chapman with Andre and Lorna Thome, and Karen and Andre Wehmeyer formed their own convoy and headed off ahead of the rest of us.

img_9041a__1024x683_.jpe

The final group only arrived at the Sani-Top Border Post at 4.30 pm.
img_9067__1024x683_.jpe

This left only an hour and a half to descend, with the caravan, to reach the SA Post before 6pm. Once again Adrian proved to be up to the challenge and negotiated the rigorous hair-pin bends of Sani Pass with the caravan without any problems at all.

img_9073__1024x683_.jpe

We made it through Passport Control with 10 minutes to spare and then regrouped in Underberg. We had been very lucky to escape very menacing weather the whole day, and within 10 minutes of leaving the Border Post, the Pass was covered in a thick blanket of mist. We had just made it down in time.

img_9064__1024x683_.jpe

Having refueled at the Shell and KFC in Underberg, the remaining vehicles: James and Kay Collett, Rick and Colleen Whitton and Juli, Wade and Celeste Bowman, Guy and Elsa Boardman, Jaun and Magda Herholdt, Adrian and Lorraine Flack and ourselves, headed for home along a very misty and rainy R617 to Merrivale.

We had come full circle since Friday morning. At this point the Herholdt’s “peeled” off to head for the Big Smoke, and the rest of us turned right onto the N3 home.
It had been a very long day, but our vehicles groaned at the sight of a freeway. We had left the much loved dirt behind.

Apart from the organised drop-off points, we had, throughout the trip, distributed blankets, beanies, clothes and toys to needy kids along the side of the roads and in their homes, and so had spread the blankets from one end of Lesotho to the other.

img_9031__1024x683_.jpe

Once again it had proved to be a very successful trip and one which had taught us many lessons: Lessons of many different kinds. Above all, never take anything for granted.

We will definitely be doing the blanket-drop again but armed with the experiences of this trip, we will have a bigger and better plan in mind.

Just a few interesting facts:
We climbed a total of 23825 m, to a highest point of 3216 m, and the KZN contingent travelled approximately 1266 km at an average speed of 39.8km/hr. Very Interesting!

We look forward to next year, to the fun and joy, and the Camaraderie that this type of event always brings.

To all of you, our heartfelt gratitude for your support, contribution and selflessness.

img_8839__1024x683_.jpe

Till 2013
Peter and Jane

That’s it folks till next year.

Many thanks to those that supported the cause I hope you agree that it was well worth the small sacrifice made to bring smiles and warmth to those less fortunate than even the poorest of the poor in this country. Makes me grateful for what I have and think twice before moaning about the fact I can’t afford that new ipad or camera.

Until next year happy cruising.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Back