Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Saffas - Lesotho Blanket run

warrenpfo

For those of you with a humanitarian side the LCCSA are doing a blanket run up into Lesotho in the not too distant future (next couple of days) and I was wondering if anyone wanted to make a donation in the form of a blanket or 2. They cost R35 each from my understanding so around £3.

If you are keen we need to act fast and I am happy to get the money over to the guys in SA and pay the transfer fee but ask that you let me know how many blankets you are in for and when sorted will give you my bank details here to deposit the money.

It is a worth cause and one close to my heart having a farm in the Underberg area. If you can spare a few quid then please do let me know.

Link below and you have to be a LCCA member to see it but will post the details.

http://www.landcruiserclub.co.za/cms/in ... ic&t=46140

Natal members have not had a B&B for sometime!
my parents are Members of the Lions Club of Durban Host, and have purchased 1000 blankets for donation to children in need.
I donated on their behalf 100 blankets to the Durban HOG chapter for an Umlazi ride and donate a blanket on Saturday.

I would like to get my friends and my other mechanical passion "CRUISR" involved in a similar effort.
The Lions Club, Durban host, has kindly donated a further 100 blankets to be distributed to a worthy cause.

" children who need warmth this winter",

In the freezing mountainous regions of the Berg and Lesotho a simple blanket may be a life saver.

Attending:

1) KD. rondavel 2
2) Des Westcott, wife and rugrat. 2 sleeper. room 3
3) Simon Wright, rondavel 2
4) Warwick and Barry Chapman and Barry's boss.
5) Ziets & Jane
6) Hennie Kotze
7) John Thom and son Jonathan
8 ) Dave Moore and family
9) Jacques Morkel
10) Dave Raulstone (spelling?)
11) Buddy of ziets
12) CM
13) Jane Stone

Blanket donation:

1) Lions club of Durban host - 100
2) Peter and Jane Zietzman - 20
3) Paul Wiengartz - 20
4) Hennie Kotze - 20
5) Petri - 20
6) Sebastian Martegoutte - 10

Peter Zietsman and I have been in communication and he has informed me that the club is behind the idea, Thank you LCCSA top manne.

we have not come up with a specific date or donation point, any constructive input would be most welcome.

this is not a KZN only thing, any region may join in but even better would be if other regions could jump on board and have a national blanket drive.

Lesotho would be a nice challenging drive and the children and people of the mountain kingdom would benefit from warmth this winter.

So guys, dates , times, worthy parties, numbers and members lets make our mark, put your name down, donate a blanket or two, suggest a beneficiary.

My dates I am unavailable are 22-29 July.
cruiser cup
possibly school holidays out for members, but what better time to do this , get the family involved.

eagerly await your positive replies.

There's a nice write-up on the delivery of the blankets here.

Hats off to Warren for supporting this and to all the guys at LCCSA :thumbup: I am ashamed that I didn't contribute anything to this cause and will certainly be doing so next year!

For anyone interested, South Africa has just had it's heaviest snowfalls in 20 years and some of the national roads (motorways) were closed for days. Lesotho would have borne the brunt of the bad weather for sure. Limited wood for fires and stone/daub huts means that blankets are the most important item that the majority of Basothos have to keep warm.

Cheers,

Sobering thought that whilst I sit here pondering whether to put in a flushing oil prior to an oil change or not, folks are relying on charitable donations of blankets to keep warm.

Didnt see the first posts at all, will make sure I support the cause next time.

Pete.

Chaps it’s that time of year again. The LCCSA is in the process of trying to sort the 2012 Blanket drop and just thought I would let you know.

Its going to happen between the 27th April and the 1st of May and for those feeling generous ill keep you posted on the cost of a blanket so that you can dig deep and make a donation. Remember its R12 to £1 so it’s cheap.

I am hoping that I/we can do the same as last year and that was to give my/our card details to a contact in SA and he runs it through and makes the donation for us.

If you are hesitant then I am happy to make the payment on your behalf and you can transfer into my account.

Ill keep you posted but hoping to make a significant contribution this year and hope the club will back the cause as its close to my heart and worthy.

Thanks

Below is the link but you now have to be a member of the club to view it so not all are going to be able to read about it.
http://www.landcruiserclub.co.za/cms/in ... ic&t=50813

Warren, I'm in :thumbup:

To put it in context for members here who haven't been to Lesotho - this is a rocky, dry, mountainous, cold country
Wikipedia said:
It is the only independent state in the world that lies entirely above 1,000 metres (3,281 ft) in elevation. Its lowest point of 1,400 metres (4,593 ft) is thus the highest in the world. Over 80% of the country lies above 1,800 metres (5,906 ft)
For reference Ben Nevis is 1,344m ASL.

The people are painfully poor - GDP per capita is $836, with 40% of the population living below the poverty line. It gets brutally cold in winter and there are virtually no trees to speak of, so heating is difficult and limited. Temperatures in winter drop to -21 deg C. So imagine the cold spell we're currently going through but 15-20 degrees colder and NO central heating. :shock: One of the trademark "looks" in Lesotho is the blankets that people wear as outer coats. The blankets that we donate WILL make a difference to the lives of those that receive them.

We can also raise this issue at the monthly London club gathering in Bank, which is happening this Thursday and is well represented by Saffas usually. :whistle:

Warren, would you be happy to co-ordinate payment - i.e. we all send you our donations and you make one payment, thus reducing the costs of and complexities of multiple individual payments?
Maybe we could even do it as an ELCOC contribution to the LCCSA initiative? (just thinking "out loud")

Cheers,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Money's tight at the moment, but I will definitely help you.

Let me know the details, I'm thinking of enough for 10 blankets.

Pete

Sounds like a good cause and I will be happy to contribute.

I also like the idea of group donation from the club.

When do we need to pay up?

Yup count me in for this. Just let me know how and whne. My preference would be to transfer the money to you and then you send it on, but whatever works.

Warren, any advance/progress on this? I see the plans for the actual trip are progressing well on LCCSA. I'd still like to contribute.

Cheers,

Ill check again but as you say the trip is progressing but no further news on the blankets yet. I have been informed we should know by the end of the week the cost.

Will keep you all posted.

UPDATE:

The LCCSA Blanket Run this year is from the 27th April to the 1st May 2012 and we will be travelling from Ongeluksnek Pass in the East Cape right through Lesotho and exiting in the Eastern Free State and Sani Pass.

We have organised with 3 orphanages (Aids), 2 schools and 1 Mission to visit them and the areas they serve to distribute blankets. The mission is organising for us to travel to 3 outlaying villages far off the beaten track .

We have made it known to all parties that we will only hand over the blankets direct to the Children themselves and only Young children will get blankets.

Numerous people have asked if they can donate towards this cause and for this purpose we have agreed that the LCCSA account would be used so if you would like to help towards this LCCSA cause please deposit any donations into

Account Holder: Land Cruiser Club - SA
Bank: Standard Bank of SA Ltd.
Branch & Code: Sandton - 019205
Current Account: 022719997
Reference Blankets 2012
Please forward POP to peter @ steritech.co.za so that we can plan for the transport of the blankets

The Club will soon have a PayPal account opened for those who prefer to use this, details will follow shortly.

We are still negotiating a price for the blankets with PEP stores but they should be the same as last year i.e. R35 per blanket. But any amount donated will assist.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance

At R35 or call it £3 a blanket I don’t know if we want to make a donation as a club or and understandable only a few of us are keen to just make personnel donations.

There is no rush and I guess with a PayPal account being setup things will be made that much easier but my hope was we could do something as a club even if only a few of us contribute.

If I was to say 100 blankets would be a great target to reach as a club that would be R3500 rand or call it £350.

Is that a realistic target, please do let me know and we can keep it all secret if people would rather others not know how much they can or cant contribute but I like to think we are all adults and if you can only contribute just one blanket it will help.

I will be making my usual donation of £100 to start things off.

Thoughts welcome??

The Prince family will match Warren :thumbup:

Come on guys - this is a worthy cause, even if you only donate £3. It doesn't have to be public and the child that receives that blanket will put have a wider smile than the 2l of diesel (£3 equivalent) would ever put on your face.... :mrgreen:

PM Warren (or me) with your donations. Warren, are you happy to receive money from everyone here and arrange the payment in SA? Alternatively if LCCSA get the paypal option up and running I am happy to coordinate payment.

Cheers,

Yup count me in will match that payment too. I dont care its done as a club thing or as private, afrerall its for a good cause.

Cheers, Tony

Thanks all to date we are at £360 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Still a few days to go and then I will sort out payment plans

Its great to see the contributions coming in.

Hi Warren,
Any news on this? I haven't been on LCCSA for a while but I imagine the trip must be soon.

Cheers,
A

Back