Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

San Diego in May 2016 - USA Members advice

Blown80

Garage
Country Flag
australia
I'd like to ask if any of the members on here are based on the west coast of the USA and might help with some advice and contacts.

I am attending a 'business conference' :icon-wink: in San Diego and then Los Angeles from April 30th next year, and figure we (including the matrimonial secretary) may as well do a bit more 'investigation' of the 4WD scene while there. I am looking to spend pretty much all of May 2016 in the US, roaming through 10 different states before looping back to LA for departure.
From what I've researched, there's bucket loads to see, heaps of national parks, and just the general weird and wonderful that comes with big ol' America.

The plan at this stage is to probably buy an old 4WD hack that will get us around safely. If it will do the job and not cost much, I can park it at the airport prior to the return flight, and hand someone the keys to a free set of wheels upon leaving. It'll probably work out cheaper than hiring. But this is still a bit hypothetical at this point, and a local contact in the states may advise me otherwise.

So if any USA members would like to make contact I've got 101 questions to ask.
Cheers.

I'm not sure how other states operate, but purchasing a car may be a problem for you if you haven't got a US license...

Here in Florida, when purchasing, you sign the title over to the new owner. Then you take that to DMV and they re-write the title in your name and issue it showing you now on the vehicle. Prior to getting this done, you must have Insurance on the truck. (Not all states require this). This alone might prove a problem. If you get past that, you'll now need to purchase a plate for the vehicle. Vehicle plates stay with the owner, not the car. Getting this done means showing proof of where you live in the states among other Identification. Alongside all this, the DMV will want a State driving license, not some other country!

You could get around all that by simply having a US friend purchase the vehicle in his name and details, or borrow someone's truck for the period of time. By the way, I'm in FL East coast.

Might be worth looking over on the expeditionportal.com for very US based advice and also the Horizons Unlimited Forum for worldwide advice?

Thank you Beau, great info and explanation. I should have known it wouldn't be so easy. Damn. Shame I'm only doing the east coast circuit this time, would have been good to say hello.
I am thinking about contacting some 4wd club members over LA way and see if they might have some local advice and knowledge to share as well. Thanks mate.
Mark, thank you too for the info, good tip.
I have lots of homework to do, which why I've started now not a month out.
Cheers

You might also find buying a huge problem on a short term visa.. ie an esta or any of the l/b that only give you 6 months tenure in the US.

Hmmm....maybe hire is the only real option. Thank you mate.
More homework required me thinks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you can do a business hire.. almost all toyota dealers will let you take a truck from them. It may not be cheaper than the usual rental folks (shop for cupons for them... ) but they are fairly competitive. .. besides its unlike a rental firm will give you a tundra for a month :)

If it's for a holiday why not ask Toyota for a LC200 for a extended test drive, US model are full spec so could be interesting.
You could perhaps wangle one for a in depth, living with a Land Cruiser 200 review.
If you have any contacts/friends at Toyota Australia they may be able to pull some strings for you?
Just an idea seeing as how this is a LC forum lol.

Last edited:
That might be the plan Geeko. The hire option is available through our conference network people. I'm not a fan of hiring, but may have limited choice.
Hey Julian, it's all work mate, all work. I might be wandering around in shorts and thongs (flip flops) and a big hat, but it's all part of the plan, inconspicuous business research. Trust me. (In case the tax office reads this) :icon-biggrin:
Your idea is valid though, we were provided a new Maz...cough cough...da for our Simpson trip last year as a 'Vehicle review' for a popular magazine here in Oz. Might have to make some more calls again. :icon-wink:

Back