Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Scottish newbie

oostsco

Hi guys would like to introduce myself. Born in South Africa, have been in Scotland for the last 11 years. Have sold my Shogun now looking for a replacement - on my list were Defender, Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Discovery (would not take the X5 off roading). As you can see there is no LC on my list - until now!! Looking to spend about 12-13k on a vehicle in total and then a bit more on equipment like roof rack, fridge etc. What would you recommend? I like the idea of an 80 but looks like £9000 might be enough for a 100. The car will be used for camping and overlanding starting with a trip to the pyrenees next year. Looking forward to hear from the experts.

Welcome along - whereabouts are you in the frozen north??

Won't go far wrong with a late model 80 that's on good nick. Depends how happy you are to fiddle.

I think 9k won't get as much good 100 as you'd like, unfortunately.

Cheers

Hi Gary

Just round the corner from you - Livingston. I do like getting my hands dirty but have no space in my garage (doing a bike rebuild at the moment...) so major work would have to be done by an expert. My budget would allow more than 9k but i saw a few 100s on ebay for around 9k - not sure i would buy from ebay though. Are late 80s (24v) plaqued by BEB issues?

Cheers

Tobie

AFAIK the later 80s are ok - but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will confirm. Have a peep through the relevant sections to get a better idea I guess. Earlier auto 100s had one or two auto box issues, late model 80s seem to be mostly bullet-proof as long as they've been maintained ok.

Cheers

Yes i have some reading to do. I see in your signature you say "Gav's custom work to come .....". Where is he based and what does he do? BTW nice accessories you have.

Mmm - need to fix that - Gav's custom work fitted - it's a 2" receiver hitch we designed and he had made. Gav is down near Liverpool so a ways off!

Thanks re the accessories - still done way to go though :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No BEB issues on the 24 valve AFAIK but you could check them anyway if it bothered you.

Thanks Jon - looks like 24valve 80 or 100 then.

Jon how does the 80 compare to the 100 with regards to ride quality and on-road performance

A 100 is smoother and more car like which is most noticeable on bad roads where the 80 can seem a bit agricultural but on normal to nice roads there's not a huge difference really. When I say bad roads I mean pot holes really rather than undulations which the 80 soaks up well enough. Whatever you get, take your time 'upgrading' it and buying bits for it, it's very easy to over estimate what you 'must' have and then when you're in the Pyrenees in your big expensively prepared go anywhere 4x4 see the locals going everywhere you do in a little 2wd van it puts it all into perspective :lol:

Agreed - i have seen upgrades to 80s include intercooler etc. but i suppose the question is would spending a bit more on a 100 not give you that anyway:). I am not in a hurry so will be patient for a while. Also still need to decide which accessories i really need and which are just bling. Roof rack is a given, roof top tent - would love to have it but its a lot of money.

It's a tough choice, there's not much in it in the way of practical pro's and con's with any LC really so you might have to go with whatever you fancy most rather than working from a tick list of features. There are a few basics that might rule one in or out, like assuming you're after a diesel rather than petrol, late model 80's are almost all manual gearbox so if it has to be an auto your choices are hold out for a fairly rare late import auto, get an older (cheaper) 12v 80 or cross 80's off your list. Conversely 100's are mostly autos although manual box 100's are not as rare as late 80 autos. What about a 90 or 120?

Last edited:
Diesel. I actually prefer manual but would not mind auto. 90/120 not sure just don't like them as much. What made you choose the 80 Jon?

An 80 is simpler to maintain, has less electronics (almost none essential to keeping going) and narrower (100 can be a tight squeeze sometimes). On the other hand a 100 is not hard to maintain, the electronics seem reliable and the extra space inside can be handy especially if you want to fit 3 on the back seat. Really it boiled down to I just fancied another 80 more than I fancied another 100 and that is still the case now. Not much help for you there then :lol: Have a sit in a few of each and buy the one that makes you smile because you can go round and round in circles and get a headache basing the decision on practical things.

Last edited:
welcome
heading down to Livingston to stay a night with friends end of the week!

Thanks Jon - yes this proving to be lets say "interesting" especially if you add Jeep, Defender and Discovery in the mix. Why would the LC be the one to go for.

Hi Andy - its a small world:)

Why would the LC be the one to go for.
It might not be, you might need to own a few alternatives before you can appreciate why LC's are so good :shifty: Obviously build quality and reliability can be a bit of an issue with the other makes, some more than others. There are others on here better qualified to compare ownership of the other makes of 4x4 to ownership of an LC, all I know is LC's.

Well i had V8 Defender loved it but wished it was a diesel. Used mine for my diving business so hard work towing a boat and it was reliable. Lots of LR owners however have had less luck. Shogun - think the fuel consumption of the petrol put me off them for life. I was tempted by the Discovery3 until you read about the reliability issues on the forums. LC - well i know about the reliability and off road ability - space and comfort added makes it a real contender. It might just be for me:think:

Buying a D3 is cheap, keeping it going outside of any warranty is the expensive part. A friend of a friend has an 06 D3 I think it is, he could almost buy an 80 series LC every time the D3 has a problem and it keeps having them :wtf:

Back