Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SD card help needed

joinerman

Garage
My new toy ( A4 quattro ) has two slots behind the display panel to which an SD card can be inserted to play music, so i bought a 16gb Lexar card yesterday & put a load of music on last night from windows media player, inserted card in car today, NOTHING, read instruction manual & it says memory cards must be formatted according to the FAT or FAT 32 procedure, i was lost at formatting, HELP

Well basically you have to prepare the card. As they are blank you could put it in a Mac or a PC or any other available slot you fancy. You need to tell it really, what the game is. You need a card reader so that you can plug it into your compooter and format it. On a Mac this is as easy as making a cup of tea, on a PC I have no idea but I doubt it's tricky. So to talk you through it, you'll need a card reader and a compooter. What have you got, Mac or something old and unreliable? I am guessing that you have a reader already as you have stuck moosik on it.

Oh come on folks we haven't had a punch up over Macs and PCs for ages!

Well basically you have to prepare the card. As they are blank you could put it in a Mac or a PC or any other available slot you fancy. You need to tell it really, what the game is. You need a card reader so that you can plug it into your compooter and format it. On a Mac this is as easy as making a cup of tea, on a PC I have no idea but I doubt it's tricky. So to talk you through it, you'll need a card reader and a compooter. What have you got, Mac or something old and unreliable? I am guessing that you have a reader already as you have stuck moosik on it.

Oh come on folks we haven't had a punch up over Macs and PCs for ages!

I hope that was some use to Joinerman!

Colleague of mine has just got a mew Mac Air... Very nice indeed! I have the company's DELL reinforced concrete laptop which works fine, but....

It will be if he has a Mac Clive - I can talk him through it. If he doesn't then he may as well have a Landrover for all I know. But until we know which brand he has, we can't be more precise.

Unfortunatly Chris i have a pc running windows 7, it has a slot in the side to take the card so i assume i have a reader.

Sure Chris, I wasn't being sarcastic (for a change) :icon-biggrin:

If he's like me, he's spent ages selecting the music to put onto the card. To save him doing all that again, he can copy the music from the SD card, back into a new folder before he reformats the SD card, cos he'll lose it all during formatting, if he doesn't.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With a PC, just plug the card into the reader and it should appear as a new 'drive' or 'removable disk' with a letter suffix. Right click on said drive/disc and click format-start. It will usually format as FAT by default but on windows 7 there will be a chioce of FAT,FAT32,NTFS or exFAT.

Last edited:
Thanks phil, will try in a while, teas on the table & being shouted at.

Right I'm back, before i format the card am i correct in saying i will loose what i put on last night & have to do it again ?

Right I'm back, before i format the card am i correct in saying i will loose what i put on last night & have to do it again ?

Yes that is right.

As Cossack has pointed out you will lose it all. Before you format, out of interest, if you right click and select 'properties' it will tell you the current format type.

Right done it, will see if it works tomorrow,

Thanks to all for your help, just shows how good the forum is, if you don't know, all you have to do is ask.

UPDATE,

Put the card in the car this morning & NOTHING !!!!, got fed up & when i got home from work chucked it on the kitchen worktop, swmbo says what's up with it still not working, looks at it & says perhaps it's because it's not a SD card it's an SDHC card, she gives me an SD card & i put some music on it & put it in the car & yeeaaaahhhh, it's brilliant.

SDHC cards are higher capacity versions of SD cards. The limit on SD cards is 2GB IIRC. Devices designed for SDHC will play SD but not vice versa. Looks like the player in your Audi doesn't support the newer type then. At least you have it working now! How old is your Audi?

That's why then. SDHC came out in '06. Prior to that is was just SD from '99. I'ts no big deal really. You can still get an awful lot of MP3 tracks on a SD card! The Sony in my 80 plays MP3 CD's but also has a USB port on the front for a pen drive. I have 250 tracks on a 2GB pendrive and it's less than 1/3 full!

Last edited:
Right click on the card. Click on properties. You will find the format option there. Select full format and select Fat32. Should be there.

Back