Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shame: RH & IR Cradock Ltd

this isnt related to the OP situation at all, but i used to get this all the time as a "tradesman". folk quibbling over my hourly rate, normally from people who would be earning at least twice as much as me. i recall going to look at a job for a "wealth manager", id barely got through his 2k english oak front door and the first thing he said to me was "are you cheap", to which i replied in a nano second "are you?" after he regained his composure he told me he was about middle of the road, i told him as am i...

i remember paying £90 for a solicitors letter, all that fella needed was a desk and a pen..

Yeh! i use to get it all the Time down the Marina, Folk would come to me wanting this and that done either on their Boat or Trailer or whatever, If i was busy i would suggest they took it to So and So...... To which they always replied, "I'm not paying Their Prices".... To which i replied "So im suppose to do it for F@%k alll then".... And if i did do a Job for someone, i either never got paid or had to go running about chasing Money... I remember renewing an Auto gland pack on a guy's Boat, I Told him to order a new Seal Kit, That cost £90, He refused and asked me to put the old seals back in, ( I refused to do that).. Bearing in mind his cruiser was worth about £180,000 The job stood for nearly 3 weeks until he finally gave in, This is common on Marina's... I gave up in the end and just concentrated on my own Stuff, 'Sod' 'em'....

Last edited:
I belive you should pay people at a rate that is reasonable. You pay for knowledge and experience. Mates rates is taking the piss out of your mate. They give up their time, you give up your cash.

Agree you should pay people at the proper reasonable rates, but mates rates are also very acceptable when its a 2 way thing, and not a piss take. Ive even been party to bartering or swapping stuff before, or supplied stuff that has been mutally agreeable to both parties before any work has started and no money at all has changed hands, but not 'free'. Thats what real mates do !

Agree you should pay people at the proper reasonable rates, but mates rates are also very acceptable when its a 2 way thing, and not a piss take. Ive even been party to bartering or swapping stuff before, or supplied stuff that has been mutally agreeable to both parties before any work has started and no money at all has changed hands, but not 'free'. Thats what real mates do !
yes, but i cant give two chickens and a goat to the bank..
:D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As many goats as that Mike ? Rates are high up there !
Should've said really, works best on days off or lulls in normal paying work, no one would expect a mate to pass up on normal paying work. Its an 'arrangement'.

My car went to RHIR, I gave the car and asked them to properly test drive and do the needful. They did all the work needed and told me not to worry. I am happy as I got proper bill and list of all works carried out for future reference.
That's how my experience was... Until I found that things weren't done properly. Then I was fobbed off for months, and eventually left with the same problems I had.

@Raj I'd be interested to know the timings of your job. We can see the Director is stating to have a vast backlog; was yours booked in many years beforehand?

31/08/2021, 19:28 - Redacted: As I said I cannot commit to a deadline at the moment…. And my workload takes us 15months in advance at the moment so any other work is fitted in at our discretion. I’m sorry I cannot be any more help but if you find someone else in the mean time that’s no worries.

The original poster has highlighted the one key thing many get wrong and that is communication with the customer.... I've dealt with the people mentioned in the thread for parts etc and found them OK but Be$%* isn't the easiest guy to talk to and not a great listener....shame as their business should do well .
If the Directors of a company don't care about their reputation they aren't going to care about their customers' projects. That's difficult to determine until one has issues with the work - as I did.

Let's be very clear - I was told that the problems with their work are mine to sort out. Absolutely disgraceful. That's an attitude I cannot imagine will change...

Hi Gibson, sorry didn’t check this message. My car was there until 14Sep. Don’t remember when I left it there. But was approx Aug end or Sep 1st.

I changed transfer oil, front n rear diff oils, full service, automatic transmission filter n fluid changed, new diff breathers n CV boot change.
For me only issue is distance and after service if I have any minor adjustments I can’t quickly go n get sorted so I thought of using them for major works and have to find someone closer for small works.

Curious then that I'm being told they're too busy, but new cash can walk through the door.

Questionable counter: 9
  1. Took on my car knowingly agreeing a seemingly-impossible timeframe of 4 weeks until collection
  2. Left the truck sat for 6 weeks, starting 2 weeks after the end of the agreed timeframe
  3. In these 6 weeks produced a "worst case" estimate of 17k
  4. Ran up a 13k bill before then telling me it needed a further £9k work after "closer inspection" (i.e. the sort of rigorous inspection that 6 prior weeks presumably did not allow, like opening the passenger door)
  5. Tried invoicing and fitting a difflock that wasn't needed or would work
  6. Handed the vehicle back incomplete, unroadworthy, and told me it was my fault for not saying that the things I asked to be fixed, and we agreed would be fixed, should actually be fixed
  7. Represented that they were too busy to address what was unfinished until the summer, when they agreed to finish the work, and were clearly free to do so (see Raj above who booked work after mine, yet had it completed in the summer)
  8. Ignored my repeated and polite attempts to resolve the situation
  9. Told me to go elsewhere to fix their work
"We strive to offer a personal and reliable service that people can count on and trust".

I'll leave this emoji, the one the director consistently chose 19 times to use when communicating with me.

ok-hand-medium-skin-tone.png

Last edited:
Though land-cruiser is such a good car, lack of experts willing to work on them makes it less desirable here in used market I guess. Some mechanics told me they won’t work on it as too many electrics. Recently I looked for a 4x4 wheel alignment expert, talked to him. He asked me to leave the car for 4 hours as it’s complicated job.
It’s a different story, later I found out this guy dosent even have a proper garage n came back. may be he just collects cars n get it done from somewhere.

Last edited:
Sent to MOT. Today. Passed but the defect I got makes me to think.
The part I got replaced in Sep21 n the defect in MOT looks similar. Even the part I replaced is also same side. Don’t know if they can spoil in 3 months or if it’s not done properly. Asked MOT mechanic to get this right.
41D7CA1F-E1D6-45D6-B1F7-9A8242CEE082.jpeg3A642571-EAD2-4AD9-A7D1-5EC9313845CB.jpeg

When you say you replaced it Raj, do you mean Craddocks ?
Any which way, it shouldn't be wanting attention again in that short period of time.

I hate "sundry items" on an invoice.... no justification what they are or were used for .
Some dealers charge a fixed % of the bill as sundry items / workshop consumables
For me this is a combat indicator not to trust any person or garage that do this.... if it's to cover the cost of workshop consumables then list it as such...

Back