Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shame: RH & IR Cradock Ltd

Yup you can see it in my invoice, few pages back. In the middle £430 quid for something that costs ~£130:
1636567150359-png.177954

Last edited:
How can you overfill a diff by several litres? Wouldn't the excess oil just pour out of the fill hole before you can plug it back?

It's not like an engine, where in theory you can fill it right to the top/filler cap level.

How can you overfill a diff by several litres? Wouldn't the excess oil just pour out of the fill hole before you can plug it back?

It's not like an engine, where in theory you can fill it right to the top/filler cap level.
Bit of an aside, but years ago when I worked for the local Austin/Rover dealership we had a Mini Moke brought in with a "seized engine" - turned out the owner was a teenage lad, and his dad had told him to make sure he topped up the engine oil - which he did - right to the top of the rocker cover. Caused a lot of laughs in the workshop... ;-)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't remember what it was called but an ex gf of mine got a brand new 4-stroke 125cc honda copy . Must have been 2 years later i caught her topping up the oil with water :scared-eek:

There was some oil in the water when i emptied it but not much , says something about honda quality though that even a half the price copy never missed a beat !

Lol ive still got her number , had her running around searching for somebody on my behalf a couple of weeks ago , i reckon i must have accidentally done something right 30 years ago .

The chap who emptied it made a point of this also. It is a mystery. As the axle was replaced it is possible it was filled at a different orientation before being fitted? Either way it has the correct amount now.
I was wondering that - it was the only explanation.

Prizes for anyone being able to tell me why a swivel kit cost £430+vat (516) in parts alone.
Terrain Tamer Swivel Housing Kit suitable for Landcruiser 76 78 79 80 105 SH5 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
TT (Don Kayatt in France are the EU importer) have a massive mark up for their dealers on all TT parts. we are being ripped off by DK more than by their dealers.. 4x4 Works sell their stuff at a reduced mark up so is always a good place to check first. For example I just purchased a Harrop Elocker. I had a friend in Australia send it over. Here it costs £1500, (sold via TT) cost me £750 retail, plus about £100 carriage, add VAT and duty and that comes to £950, but shipping a container load is much less than my carriage.

TT (Don Kayatt in France are the EU importer) have a massive mark up for their dealers on all TT parts. we are being ripped off by DK more than by their dealers.. 4x4 Works sell their stuff at a reduced mark up so is always a good place to check first. For example I just purchased a Harrop Elocker. I had a friend in Australia send it over. Here it costs £1500, (sold via TT) cost me £750 retail, plus about £100 carriage, add VAT and duty and that comes to £950, but shipping a container load is much less than my carriage.
Yup, though that's ~£130 in Australia, but £516 in UK. So that's quite a markup of 4x. And if that was the correct price, on what planet is that a reasonable amount for items that at worst cost less than £100.

Where are you based Grimbo ? I need a good guy with tech stream in North Essex ?

Indie ,
Sorry , don't have tech stream and don't own anything that needs it ;-) ....
I've spent hours trying to fix technical issues with complex blue tractors built in Essex though .
I'm.... "strong in the arm...thick in the head.... Sussex born and Sussex bred"

Back