Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shock news - might be looking for a Colorado

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Now don't feint, but the Current wife has just been in and announced that a Colorado might be a sensible option. I know, I know.

Thing is that we are part of a car pool which gets the kids to school and back each day. It relies on people having MPVs and the like. If everyone has a 5 seater the rota just doesn't work. I have a company 7 seat Verso which goes in a fortnight and that has kept things going. But once it's history, the rota doesn't work. I have the chance to buy it myself, cheap. Which is option 1. It means selling one of our other cars to shuffle things up. Option 2 is to not buy it but buy something else. We have been looking at things like the Ford S Max. Just the job, but a tonne of money. It would actually be cheaper to send our daughter to school in a taxi everyday for the next three years!
Option 2.5 is to buy a Collie. Plenty seats, bad weather not a problem, MOT failure not an option, huge boot, back up Cruiser etc etc.

OK it's a vehicle that I know well, but not worked on them for a while. Now given the history with the 1KZ-TE heads and to be fair the age of them, it would make sense to go with a D4D. But manual or Auto? My experience of owning both was that the auto was better than the manual which seemed incedibly low geared running at 3000 rpm@70 on the motorway and giving 19mpg. How does that equate in real life to manual and auto D4's? Sure not that economica, but given that they are out there for less than £5k - it's cheaper than £12k on the Ford, eh?

Plus anyone know of a decent model anywhere? GX I think. Yes yes, I will trawl the web, but if you know of one kicking around, bear me in mind. Of course by the time you have read this she'll have changed her mind.

Fingers crossed, eh?

Chris

How long do you think it'll be before you start to modify that then Chris :lol:

Colorado mods list for Urban survival;

Suspension
Tyres
lighting
Window film
Sat Nav
Steel bumpers
In car cameras
Parrot hands free
Sounds
Winch
Parking sensors
In car DVD system...........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Well it's a good point well made my friend, but I can guarantee that other than maybe ATs if it needed tyres, this would remain standard. There wouldn't be any point to modding it.

Oh, maybe a tow bar.

Spots.

LED interiors

No. no, no no. It's a school run bus.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Most of the time the auto's are geared slightly taller on the last gear than manuals - I don't know why? People claim to be getting around 25-30 mpg with them for general use.

I wouldn't rule out a 1kzte though. With good service history and reasonable mileage you can see yourself with a good one around 3-4k, rather than 5k+.

What about a 3.5 V6 with LPG then Chris?

Thanks Beau. Helpful. Unlike the REST of you! :icon-rolleyes: This would not be modified. 1. it's not mine - read the post. 2. I have no interest in doing any mods. It's not something I'd ever drive.

:icon-biggrin: Trust me.

No sorry, 1KZ ruled out. It's a D4 or nothing. I have been driving these for a long time. Longer than I have been on any forum that's for sure. Not really a point for debate. D4D, GX end of story. Just not sure on manual or auto yet - IF that's what she decides to do. Neighbour has one which I service. Goes very well indeed. Might make her an offer!

Service history just isn't of interest to me. I think people make far to much of that on a vehicle around this age with like 150k on the clock. It is what it is. If it's straight now, great. That's all you need to know.

Any more helpful, supportive comment? Hmm? Well? :wtf:

Chris

Last edited:
Probably a good choice for the intended use Chris, don't see why that means you can't tweak it a bit though :lol:

I know Jon, but what'd be the point. It's literally a bus. Back and forth to School. Missus works in the village so barely needs a car. I'll have 2 80's and a Antara to drive. We'd have the Colorado plus 2 Corollas as well at the minute. I've seriously no interest in doing anything to the new Collie if we got one.

I'd have to pay for the mods - it would affect the insurance and we have to ferry other people's children in it. It's just going to be a car.

C

Dont rule out a V6 on gas - cheaper to run than a D4D

Where is the gas tank fitted?

C

Chris, I have mine in place of the rear seats but obviously this is no use to you, I have seen them in place of the fuel tank and then a smaller custom tank put in front of the axle. I am currently getting about 18 to the gallon out of mine

Cheers fella, I guess that sorts that then.

Running gas simply isn't necessary on this truck. It won't do that many miles. But no sense throwing money away. Occasionally Missus does longer trips - Berwick for eg. So it needs to be able to return something like a reliable 28 mpg or so.

Actually gas is an issue round here too. Not that many providers. Having to do a daft round trip just to fill up doesn't work for me.

Again, I really know enough about these to say, it's a D4D in the frame. No point going through the arguments for an against. All I need is objective info on manual over auto in the later Colorados.

Chris

Chris, I have mine in place of the rear seats but obviously this is no use to you, I have seen them in place of the fuel tank and then a smaller custom tank put in front of the axle. I am currently getting about 18 to the gallon out of mine

Thats how mine came. My nearest gas is 10 miles away but as its on my way to work it doesn't matter much. If there is no convenient gas supply nearby then you're right - it won't work. FWIW I get diesel equivalent of around 35mpg from gas.

Cheers fella, I guess that sorts that then.

Running gas simply isn't necessary on this truck. It won't do that many miles. But no sense throwing money away. Occasionally Missus does longer trips - Berwick for eg. So it needs to be able to return something like a reliable 28 mpg or so.

Actually gas is an issue round here too. Not that many providers. Having to do a daft round trip just to fill up doesn't work for me.

Again, I really know enough about these to say, it's a D4D in the frame. No point going through the arguments for an against. All I need is objective info on manual over auto in the later Colorados.

Chris

I fgoing for a D4D Chris I would go auto. You have ahd a manual 1KZ in the past and you knoe how reliable they are a a manual. Touch wood I do think this is in most part that there is no ATF to cool and there is a bigger Rad. "I" have not hear of any of these problems occuring with the D$D and assuming that the MPG figures relate the same way as they do for the 1KZ then for me it would be Auto all the way. (for Your needs, I still prefer a manual off the blac stuff.)

I have no real life experience in this matter Chris. I am mearly going from in part my own expariences and others that I hav eread.

Back