Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shorty 60

I like that. Looks a nice job. I'd like to see an 80 properly done like that. Got any more info on that Andy? Is it still leaf sprung?

Having said that if I had room and time, I'd bobtail an 80 for off road dominance. Grrr.

I like it, looks great. :thumbup:

I'd love to see a detailed thread of how it was done, the work involved in getting it almost looking "factory".

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks great, now why didn't Toyota do a shorty HD LC with coils SFA and lockers all round?

Looks interesting, and most probably unique. It seems to have been done to a high standard, but it wouldn't be for me. I think that the proportions don't look right, the rear wings look shorter than the front wings, which doesn't balance the cars dimensions. The seating position looks to be almost on top of the back axle which would detract from the passenger ride comfort considerably.

My personal preference, and it's only that, is for long wheel base as apposed to short. I have owned both and although the shortys are very manoeuvrable, their on road ride is too twitchy and unsettled for my liking. A short wheel base doesn't have time for the front axle to recover from a bump before the rear encounters it, resulting in a pitching back and forth motion of the vehicle, which is uncomfortable and tiring for the passengers. I much prefer the stability provided by a long wheel base vehicle, be it over rough terrain, on ascents and descents, or on road.

This 60 looks nice and is a credit to the hard work put in by its creator, but it has been comprised and made into a vehicle that'll excel in close quarter manoeuvring, but be less able in most other situations.

Each to their own.

I've never previously given it a lot of thought, but Scott, you have just put into words just why I prefer a LWB to a SWB. :thumbup:

looks like a very good photoshop to me, if the rear arch was moved back to the door shut line that would look totally :icon-cool:

Looks interesting, and most probably unique. It seems to have been done to a high standard, but it wouldn't be for me. I think that the proportions don't look right, the rear wings look shorter than the front wings, which doesn't balance the cars dimensions. The seating position looks to be almost on top of the back axle which would detract from the passenger ride comfort considerably.

My personal preference, and it's only that, is for long wheel base as apposed to short. I have owned both and although the shortys are very manoeuvrable, their on road ride is too twitchy and unsettled for my liking. A short wheel base doesn't have time for the front axle to recover from a bump before the rear encounters it, resulting in a pitching back and forth motion of the vehicle, which is uncomfortable and tiring for the passengers. I much prefer the stability provided by a long wheel base vehicle, be it over rough terrain, on ascents and descents, or on road.

This 60 looks nice and is a credit to the hard work put in by its creator, but it has been comprised and made into a vehicle that'll excel in close quarter manoeuvring, but be less able in most other situations.

Each to their own.

A SWB can be 'interesting' on corrugations for all the wrong reasons (the rear tries to overtake the front!), LWB all the way at speed off road!

Last edited:

Each to their own.

I've never previously given it a lot of thought, but Scott, you have just put into words just why I prefer a LWB to a SWB. :thumbup:

The other one is that the wheel that gets cocked when it's crossing a rut is more common on a SWB, found out about that when it took me an age to decide that no matter what my angle of attack was the 73 was not going where the 146 Hilux or 60 series was going... so I ended up with the "interesting" route route it all, whereas the other 2 were fine as the front wheels were back down on the ground for when the back needed pulling out as such.

don't see the point personally .... might as well just buy a 70.

fair enough it looks very well done .. but just not my cup of coffee

Back