Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Should i buy this car

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
I am looking at swapping my ML500 for a 1999 100 series petrol cruiser. It is the 4.5 engine not the v8.

I will be doing a lot of towing and thought the cruiser would be a better option. I will be towing a drag car up and down the country, Australia that is.

The Cruiser i am looking at has 255k on the clock. It doesnt look like its done any off road work as its bog standard and has no dents or scratches. Is the mileage too high, what were the problems with this model, i have heard the engines and trannies are good on these vehicles, but it will be an eighteen year old car. My present car is thirteen years old.

What do you think guys.

I am looking at swapping my ML500 for a 1999 100 series petrol cruiser. It is the 4.5 engine not the v8.

I will be doing a lot of towing and thought the cruiser would be a better option. I will be towing a drag car up and down the country, Australia that is.

The Cruiser i am looking at has 255k on the clock. It doesnt look like its done any off road work as its bog standard and has no dents or scratches. Is the mileage too high, what were the problems with this model, i have heard the engines and trannies are good on these vehicles, but it will be an eighteen year old car. My present car is thirteen years old.

What do you think guys.

It all depends on how it's been looked after, Mike. If she's been regularly serviced (most would say oil change every 5,000km, filters every 10,000kms is good practice) and it's not been abused, at 255k it's not even half way through its life. The in-line 6 is an awesome lump. I've never had a petrol one but I've had several diesels (turbo and normally aspirated), and they are virtually bullet-proof. You'll find the 100 series a lot bigger than the ML500. Is it auto or manual? I think there were some issues on the early 100 series auto boxes, and also on the front diff. There'll be guys on the thread who know much more than I do.

Good luck!

Rob

It all depends on how it's been looked after, Mike. If she's been regularly serviced (most would say oil change every 5,000km, filters every 10,000kms is good practice) and it's not been abused, at 255k it's not even half way through its life. The in-line 6 is an awesome lump. I've never had a petrol one but I've had several diesels (turbo and normally aspirated), and they are virtually bullet-proof. You'll find the 100 series a lot bigger than the ML500. Is it auto or manual? I think there were some issues on the early 100 series auto boxes, and also on the front diff. There'll be guys on the thread who know much more than I do.

Good luck!

Rob
Mine has the prefix FZJ105R, im not sure but i think this one has better suspension and gear box. It is an Auto.

Whichever cruiser it is, in my book it has to be a better vehicle than the ML.

From the prefix the one you are looking at is a very capable vehicle and has solid front axle not IFS, so it probably has the same issues with the front diff that the 80 series does, and in my opinion as long as it is not excessively abused off road it should give no trouble, the car also should give no trouble if it is maintained and serviced when needed.

By comparison to the ML it will probably feel a bit more agricultural and will certainly be a larger vehicle when parking but in my opinion it will be more capable and less likely to let you down.

Sadly when it comes to the hundy (100) I have no experience with them but as Rob said, there will be others on the forum who will be along to give advice.

That's the same as Wanda - Scott's 105 that he brought in Australia, and imported back into the UK.

As others have said, the FZj105 is a slightly tougher version of the 100-series, in particular a live front axle as opposed to the independent suspension in the 100 series. On the whole a fairly tough thing, but watch out for neglect as people assume a Land Cruiser doesn't need to be looked after...

Mileage is not an issue for the engines in the 80 & 100 series ranges, the 4.5 petrol in question will do 500K if correctly maintained. So buy on condition and not mileage. History to support the vehicles condition is always a bonus. My 105 has done 275K and is still running like new, no leaks, smooth and quite.

If your intended use is as a tow vehicle then buying a standard, unmodified truck is a wise move. Does it have, or has it ever had LPG fitted? If so be wary, the lack of lubrication when running on LPG causes valve seat recession on the 4.5 & 4.7 engines. When I was looking I was advised to avoid LPG trucks; I also noted how often petrol trucks were for sale having had new heads fitted.

There maybe some age related issues but nothing that can't be easily sorted, wheel bearings, axle seals, brakes, that sort of thing. They are tough trucks, but do need to be correctly maintained to keep them that way, which is sometimes neglected when they get older; but Oz isn't quite so bad as the UK in this respect as vehicles hold their value better down under.

Look for any under bonnet components that have suffered from the extreme heat that they get subjected to when working in the Oz temperatures, age hardened hoses can fail, and exhaust manifolds can crack.

Let us know how you get on cruiser shopping.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
255k is still like new. Mines got 474k and no issues at all go for it.

Back