Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Side-exit exhaust on an 80-Series

Wouldn't this compromise the ramp over clearance?

i know i've used my sliders quite a few times....

Wouldn't this compromise the ramp over clearance?

i know i've used my sliders quite a few times....

With the system fitted to mine it would do certainly but for road use and the odd green lane it's OK.

Edit...........

XR650R....Hell of a bike there Womble. Had mine nicked off the drive :angry-fire::angry-fire:

Last edited:
OK, had a look at mine this evening and as everyone suggested, it has 3 silencer boxes! A small one under the drivers feet, a mahoooosive one in the centre and a smaller backbox at the rear.

Looking at mine, I intend to keep the front box only (under the drivers feet), and then it will be a straight pipe out of that with a single bend to put the exit out just in front of the back wheel (exactly as per the photo in my first post). Looks like I'll need some straight pipe, any idea what diameter standard is (2.25" or 2.5" I think)?

Thanks! :)

Seeing as this appears to be a popular modification but, does anyone have any issues with fumes entering the cabin?

I had 3" pipes exiting (hidden) just in front of the rear wheels of my best ever car V12 Jaguar, smelly when the windows were open though, wondered if anyone was getting some extra monoxide?

Of course the dummy stock pipes were still there ;.)

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No fumes but the noise can be quite tiresome on long journeys if you like to drive with the driver's window partly open like me, after all the pipe is barely 4 feet from your right ear!

No fumes but the noise can be quite tiresome on long journeys if you like to drive with the driver's window partly open like me, after all the pipe is barely 4 feet from your right ear!

How bad is it??

I've cut the elbow off the first box and added 1 metre of straight pipe and a 90 degree pipe to exit out in front of the rear wheel... and have done some test runs .. I find the noise tiresome with the window open.. so am contemplating re fitting the original system but deleting the heavy centre box and a larger pipe where it crimps. I never thought I'd say that.. but too noisy for me.

Certainly not unbearable but you can always hear it. It's not an annoying sound like you get from those pesky little 2 smoke mopeds with the baffles removed, more of a deep basey grumble but there are the odd times when you wish it was a bit quieter. I'm in no doubt that had I not gone for the extra silencer it WOULD have been too loud.

My mpg goes down with the window open :icon-biggrin: don't hear mine when cruising at speed unless window or roof open, no drone etc. I know petrol but would be too loud without a good size silencer (it's smaller then the standard large one tho )

Mine is no louder than the rusted original one that was on before. Not warm enough to have the windows open yet to know about any fumes, had one on my surf and never noticed.

With the system fitted to mine it would do certainly but for road use and the odd green lane it's OK.

Edit...........

XR650R....Hell of a bike there Womble. Had mine nicked off the drive :angry-fire::angry-fire:

sorry to hear about your XR.
Mine has been in hibernation for 4 years. I'm getting it ready for a trip in September.

A friend who had an import had a stainless system fitted, I never saw or heard it as the vehicle is still in the UK but, he did say he returned to have an additional silencer fitted to quieten it down.

regards

Dave

Hi there,
i've placed a new tweaked turbo on my '94 TD so i replaced the exhaust as well.
It's a Tecinox stainless steel exhaust (side exhaust)

The exhaust works well and i never get tired off the sound. It's sound great, and you can hear the turbo wissle when the engine is running idle.
When i'm using more power or pulling a trailer it make's more noise but it's never anoying.

I also have running boards and the exhaust is just behind the running boards.
When offroading, it stay's save behind the running boards

One little detail, when you drive a lot, the exhaust will blacken the writings on your tire, and the rest.

I think you don't need to see the exhaust, people can see a LC80 is all business.
When you have a civic, it's pretty normal to have a huge exhaust to compromise for other things.

Excuse my writing errors i'm from Holland

Greets,

Donald

Sounds good Donald and I've always admired how the Dutch and Flemish Belgians all seem to speak very good English (better than we Brits more often than not) so your writing is fine. I'll check out Tecinox. What diameter did you go for?

Tnx for the compliment !
Here is a link
euro4x4parts.com/3_engine_parts/H/performance_exhaust_line_tecinox/toyota/landcruiser_series_80/hdj80_4_2td_12v_diesel_1990_1995/

I believe it's a 2,5 inch system.

(A smaller diameter is better for bottom power, bigger is better for top end power.)

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Donald.

Some details of the turbo would be good thanks.
Stu

Hello Stu,

The turbo outershell is about the same as the standard turbo.
I dont now what they tweaked on the innershell but they placed other turbine wheels.
So the turbo spools up faster and sooner

The combination, turbo, exhaust and a good adjustment of the fuel pump makes it a real nice ride with more then enough power.
I ride a lot with trailer (holland - Portugal) and it has enough oempf to tackle the mountains on the autostrada.
When offroading, it does everything with eas and there is no need for reving when there is enough bottom power.

Donald.

Back