Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Single clunk when reversing off drive way outside house

Beefbeefbeef

Country Flag
uk
Any ideas what this could be?

I have the steering towards full lock at the time and reversing down hill, barely using the accelerator. Have heard a loud clunk noise a few times (co-incidentally since my suspension was replaced, see other post, but don't think it can be connected...) It's intermittant.

Could be the well-documented 'tail shaft clunk' - pradopoint has loads of details ...

Big job??

Ye........ a few pumps of a grease gun into the sliding part of the propshaft usually cures it (assuming that is the problem), does sound like it could be that.

While you're(or whoever) is at it grease all the nipples on the two propshafts & universal joints. Once you have a grease gun its less than a 5min job.

At home, on your back, with it on stands if you need, shall we say, extra room to manoeuvre.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't use to much grease in the sliding part like i did by accident today , when you see some old grease trying to escape one more pump of your gun is enough .

I had a similar occasional clunk on my 90 which turned out to be worn anti roll bar bushes .

Last edited:
Back