Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SKF speedi sleeve ....

Rich I don't have any thoughts at all on this one. I'm kinda baffled. Yes the CV grease is the typical graphite coloured stuff.

Rich I don't have any thoughts at all on this one. I'm kinda baffled. Yes the CV grease is the typical graphite coloured stuff.
So yours is looking like just the oil churned up to an oil ‘milkshake’ whereas mine clearly has CV grease in it? That being the case, yours is nothing like mine in actual fact.

The thing is, although polished, my shafts weren’t exactly grooved.

Yes Chris. A tight seal does not mean an oil tight seal.

I had my 80 at 3 years old with 35k on the clock and drained the oils straight away. I was mystified by the milky appearance of the oil. It now appears it's "normal".

I know some might not agree but I think as it is a one way seal grease must be getting past the seal by pressure build up by heated up swivel hubs after braking.

I MUST get round to putting the airline and gauge on mine and see if it bubbles round the external seal.

Thinking on from this, is there damage likely from migration of
1, the grease into the oil, and while we’re at it,
2, from the oil into the grease?

Reading posts I think the commonest problem is diff wear. Certainly heard of horror stories. However if the oil is changed as per owners handbook (memory 36K) you'd have to have a serious grease leak to ruin the diff.

This is what I don’t get. Not arguing at all but I’ve encountered other gearboxes full of grease and I’ve encountered them full of oil and both media are lubricants so I don’t understand why there should be wear in a diff that has a percentage of grease mixed well in with the correct oil. I’d really be interested to know.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are you sure you put the shaft back in Rich. There's a big hole where the two can mix without a shaft.:).

Are you sure you put the shaft back in Rich. There's a big hole where the two can mix without a shaft.:).
You might be onto something Frank! I wondered what that bit was I had left over! Thought it was the jack handle!!

:think::lol:

Back