Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Small brake conversion

stumog

Country Flag
england
Ok so at the week end i changed my tiny brakes to the larger post 93 ones.
This is not a how to if your not sure of how to change brakes then dont they are very important. the idea of this is to help answer the questions i had and couldnt find answers to when i was looking.

You need;-
Backing plates x2
Larger discs x2
Different calipersx2
New padsx4

The backing plates are a lot bigger and i noticed that they are pretty different to the old style ones. the old ones have a scoop and vents to get air into the back of the disc the new ones were solid.

Discs are massive when put next to the old ones and lots thincker.

Pads are the same also the same as the 90 series ones i found in the garage as well. so i think you could do the 100 series pad mod to a early 80.

The brake pipes fitted but they have a pin to locate them which is in a different place on the new calipers so the pipe ends up looking a bit odd but doesnt rub on anything.
As for fitting it really is just the same as refitting if you were replacing your oe items.

inital thoughts are my brakes are better but not sure if this is because its all new any way. Mine needed discs and i had a sticky caliper that i wasnt 100% happy with so i went for it. I fitted DPA discs which do look very nice.

here is a picture for clive to show i did do the work.

DSC_0020.JPG

Stu

OK, I believe you! [emoji3]Looks great, all shiny and new. Bed the pads in slowly and I'm sure you'll feel the difference

Well done Stu and you beat me I'm still awaiting those CVs before I can test my brake upgrade.:clap:

I am waiting for my mot to be done. I do think they are better as i can lock them up now. Just not sure if thats because of the upgrade or new caliper?
Stu

I do like those discs I got the standard ones in the Roughtrax disc & pad kit

I got mine from them. For really cheap. Old stock less then 100 a pair.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice and tidy work, re the 100 pads, I fit them to my LC and they slip straight in, depending if you have a little wear on the disc you may have to leave out the anti squeal shim but TBH I have never heard my brakes make a noise with or without the shims. The greater surface area tends to slow the wear rate but having said that the pads I fitted (ATE) have pretty much eaten my discs so it could be the harder pad materials saving pad wear at the expense of the disc?

regards

Dave

I dont run the anti squeal shims anyway.
Mine dont make any noise just lots of copper slip.
Stu

Mine dont make any noise just lots of copper slip.Stu

A friend of mine had asked me about squealing brakes on an old Opel commodore back in the 70's, told him about copper slip and he tried it, in his wisdom he put it on the contact faces and then complained the car did not stop. :shock: Later after me explaining his error he replaced the pads, two days later one of his front wheels came adrift where he had not tightened it! I am glad he did not continue to do his own maintenance, hence the reason he is still about today and we are still friends.

regards

Dave

my dad brought a toledo a few years ago that had passed its mot the day before. it had a terrible rubbing noise form the osf wheel. any way he drove it home alot further then i would have to find out that somebody had put the pads in backwards!!! he reported the mot garage to vosa and replaced everything.
stu

So the cruiser went straight through the mot today so got to try my new brakes. They are certainly alot sharper and look the wheels with no problems. My old brakes would always struggle with a total lock up.
So very pleased

Back