Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Small problem inside front axle housing. 80 series

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Chaps, just in process of a leisurely diff swap, back and front. All fine so far, until......

When wiping out the front diff housing, I found the metal ring that goes in the end of the axle near the back of the swivel. It's been a bit bent. It's only tin so hasn't damaged the diff or anything, it's just been lying in the 'sump' as it were. Somehow, it must have got pushed out when I last put the half shafts in. I have seen this before - Rob was it you? but I can't remember the outcome. It's in the short side so it might be possible to straighten it up a bit with a tapping hammer and somehow ram it back in. I could machine up some sort of comparable washer out of some 6mm plate and knock that in instead, but I think that the thin tin one is better as it's unlikely to jam the axle should it move.

Anyone got any ideas? Everything in bits here, so plenty to do until I come up with a solution. As far as I can see, it helps to support the shaft when you assemble the axle by keeping it off the inner oil seal. But when it's running, it's not a bearing surface, more of a limit / stop arrangement.

Chris

Chris,

It's designed to hold some oil close to the seal and prevent surging of oil towards the seal in cross axle situations.

I would try to knock it back in to place - it has no structural requirement which is why it is only wedged in in the first place.

Thanks JV. It is now wedged back in place. I made up a tool which was a cross between a slide hammer and a seal driver. Managed to get it bashed fully home. Still have most of my knuckles.

Chris

Back